T Nation

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Grip Strength

I just started training jiu jitsu… i already train muay thai…i need some grip strength training suggestions …because my grip sucks …any ideas or training programs are welcome

Specifically for gi sports, throw your gi over the chin-up bar, grab the lapels & do your chins/pull-ups etc.

Throw your gi around the handles of a horizontal row machine, grab the lapels & row.

Throw your gi around the handle of a t-bar row, grab the lapels & pull.

And finish every workout with 3 sets of farmers walks, with the weight wrapped in a towel. Thats all i can think of the top of my head & in a rush…

Hope it helps.

If you DL, try DL walks: Lift then walk 3 step forward and down. Lift and then 3 steps backward and down. 5 sets of 5 is the goal. 3 x 3 is the minimum you should do with a given weight.

thanks for responses guys …i like your ideas sjfou

Rock Climbing…guaranteed to work 60% of the time…every time :wink:

Seriously though it allows you to simulate different grip widths with different hand holds.

OMC

To go along with sfjou, farmers walk with the heaviest dumbells you can find. However, do not grip the handle, but wrap a towel around the handle and grip that. If you have an old gi you can cut the sleeves off of or some shitty gi pants to do the same you can get even more specific. You can apply this same principle to a barbell and do holds for time or deadlifts off a box.

Oops and I should say that the Gi suggestion is an excellant one also. Thats been added to the tool box…thanks guys

[quote]OMC wrote:
Rock Climbing…guaranteed to work 60% of the time…every time :wink:

Seriously though it allows you to simulate different grip widths with different hand holds.

OMC[/quote]

not many rocks here in Belgrade to climb hehe…but thanks anyways

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
To go along with sfjou, farmers walk with the heaviest dumbells you can find. However, do not grip the handle, but wrap a towel around the handle and grip that. If you have an old gi you can cut the sleeves off of or some shitty gi pants to do the same you can get even more specific. You can apply this same principle to a barbell and do holds for time or deadlifts off a box. [/quote]

heaviest pair dumbbells in my gym are 30 kg and thats a fat dumbbell …and I have no problem holding that weight…ill stick with barbel towel deads :wink: … one more question…

i broke my knuckles and got them dislocated half year ago…and the bone isn’t exactly in the right place… is it possible that because of that my grip weakened ?( I mean weakened because the bone is dislocated …not because i lost muscle when in casts… cause my forearm mass is back but i feel that grip stood the same )

I have the same thing on my right hand…hasn’t effected me. Its only minor though so it may not have an effect. If yours is bad maybe get it checked out. I would imagine a bad disalignment would take away the structural integrity of the joint. Over all though if its only 1 finger I’d think the difference would be minimal. Any pain from it?

OMC

More:

“Pinching” rice in buckets

Them gyro grip things were pretty popular… smelt like BS to me & were loud but ive never used one.

You can also try an Ivanko gripper, captains of crush or gripmasters too.

dont know what their called but I remember seeing straps you could attach to cable machines or whatever that were basically gi material.

Climbing ropes & rope pulls with vehicles are awesome too. So are rope pulls with learjets but im not quite there yet.

I am not sure what your situation is, but in addition to all of those suggestions, you might try some of the following.

Make sure to work the opposing end of the grip. That is, extension of the fingers. This will help prevent injury and also allow your grip strength to improve.

Work both maximal loading and loading for time.

Lots and lots of pullups with a variety of grips.

Though to be honest, the best thing I ever did for my grip was getting a job at an auto part rebuilding shop. Picking up and carrying smooth, greasy and heavy alternators and starters for hours on end really helps.

[quote]OMC wrote:
I have the same thing on my right hand…hasn’t effected me. Its only minor though so it may not have an effect. If yours is bad maybe get it checked out. I would imagine a bad disalignment would take away the structural integrity of the joint. Over all though if its only 1 finger I’d think the difference would be minimal. Any pain from it?

OMC[/quote]

Not now , but 2 months after it i was doing hard sparring sessions and when i hit the guy in the head my fist hurt like hell… now it seems fine …but sometimes i get the feeling that if i hit someone in the streets with it, it will break in half… and yea its only one finger , tho i think you’re right , i think I’m just imagining