Brass Knuckle Technique

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Oh, and he’s talking about the “linear striking template” which is a really fast way to get people understanding the necessary mechanics behind throwing straight line strikes (be it a speed hand, palm smash, vertical fist, or horizontal fist). It’s something that he uses very effectively himself to teach people and that we as iCAT Pro Coaches learn so we can use it with our students as well.[/quote]

This is really interesting to me.

I was taught in a more “ground up” approach. So stepping/pivoting/weight transfer to generate power being the first thing. As a reference point Jack Dempsey’s book and the emphasis on falling step and “shoulder wheel” coming before the actual punches would give a decent picture.

The idea of starting with the “speed hand” type strike, and then dropping more structure into it as you progress(if I am following) sounds completely foreign, but perhaps very doable. Is this the preferred method for your other teacher’s as well? Or is it a case of Joe Lewis, who should be listened to, said X. Lysak, who should be listened to, said Y. And Ryan, who should be listened to, said Z.

Regards,

Robert A

[/quote]

Well, technically the first thing people are taught when it comes to striking is how to find a stable, functional position to stand in where they can both generate force from, absorb force from, but still be mobile from. Once they have this sturdy base to throw strikes from they start learning the linear striking template (they start with the “economical” striking template as is showcased in the above video and then later learn the “power striking” template). It’s important that they first learn where the proper leverages and structural alignment is at and through a target. Then, once they’ve got at least a decent handle on that they start to add footwork, torque/rotation, and inclination to the punches (which all add to the force produced by the strikes).

To be fair, there is more to the method than this, and you actually need someone who knows what they are doing to utilize the template as an optimal teaching tool. But I don’t feel like I’m giving it away for free so to speak by expanding on the concept a little.

What Ryan, Lysak, and later Lewis did was to take the best things from their systems in terms of ease of learning for the students, ease of teaching for the instructors, and obviously effectiveness (though none of their systems really had much to offer, if anything, that wasn’t effective to begin with). This template was Rich’s method of teaching linear striking originally, but Lysak and Lewis both felt that it was the most easily reproduced and retained method for beginners.

Rich has put tons of time into researching human biomechanics and has developed a fantastic system and teaching methods from that understanding. I’d recommend his video on Force And Mechanics.

Sentoguy,

I am trying to find the video, or any video by Richard Ryan or Walt Lysak.

I cannot find any kind of website or store for Ryan.

Searches for various combinations of Richard Ryan, iCAT, and Dynamic Combat bring up links to the videos you already posted, a few T-Nation threads where you are making the points, and threads on other discussion boards where both Ryan and Lysak are discussed(with opinions ranging from very critical to complimentary).

Am I failing some kind of “have to find the ninja to be worthy of his teaching” test?

Is the material only for students/seminar attendees?

Regards,

Robert A

EDIT: At first glance it looks like a lot of the criticism is coming from other RMA’s with their own similar, but so different, and seperately trademarked systems. Kind of like a traditional martial arts style vs style purse swinging match, but with way more science sounding names.

Hi Robert,

Strangely his site seems to be out of commission at the moment, so no you aren’t missing anything. I’ll send him a PM on Facebook and ask him what is up. I know he’s been really busy with his acting and fight choreography career lately, so maybe he’s currently revamping his site too.

I’ll let you know as soon as I hear back from him.

[quote]Robert A wrote:
Sentoguy,

I am trying to find the video, or any video by Richard Ryan or Walt Lysak.

I cannot find any kind of website or store for Ryan.

Searches for various combinations of Richard Ryan, iCAT, and Dynamic Combat bring up links to the videos you already posted, a few T-Nation threads where you are making the points, and threads on other discussion boards where both Ryan and Lysak are discussed(with opinions ranging from very critical to complimentary).

Am I failing some kind of “have to find the ninja to be worthy of his teaching” test?

Is the material only for students/seminar attendees?

Regards,

Robert A

EDIT: At first glance it looks like a lot of the criticism is coming from other RMA’s with their own similar, but so different, and seperately trademarked systems. Kind of like a traditional martial arts style vs style purse swinging match, but with way more science sounding names.[/quote]

Yeah, unfortunately there is a lot of jealousy and name calling out there. I can tell you one thing though that none of those saying such things would say them to Rich’s face, or Lysak’s, or Lewis’s if he were still with us, and if they did they would quickly regret it because he would gladly prove anything they asked him to if pressed to.

Hi Robert,

Talked to Ryan and he said they are currently in the process of rebuilding his site; so the best bet would be to email him directly. My only issue is that I don’t want to post his private email on a public forum (not that I don 'y trust the regulars on here, but any random person could see it and post spam or try to hack it). I really wish they hadn’t disabled private messages on this site, cause I’d give it to you via that.

Got any ideas? Are you on Facebook?