Branch Warren Vid

[quote]jit07 wrote:
LUEshi wrote:

Like you said, at a certain point I think you have to go with what works for you/meets your goals.

His workout (what little I saw) seemed geared around keeping continuous tension on the muscle with as heavy a weight as possible. It looks a little funky, sure, but when you’re that fucking big, who’s going to argue?

I noticed that he very rarely locked out the weight, which would maintain constant tension. So a combination of heavy weights and constant tension is what he must be going for. I’ll have to keep that in mind if I ever get into bodybuilding.
[/quote]

Ronnie Coleman does the same thing. From pressing movements to squats to stiff-legged deadlifts.

He says he likes the constant tension for the pump. He also added that not locking out saves your joints.

There is a reason he is 43 and still lifting heavy.

[quote]Alphaboy wrote:
Constant tension to me is 45-60 seconds. Most of his sets lasted 5-10 secs. I got more out of watching Zane, Nick JONES and Arnold train.

Yeah BRANCH is massive and I’m sure his steroid bill is as well. And yes its obvious that he’s bigger than 99% percent of the population.

My impression of Branch training was 2 apes in a cage fighting over 200kgs of banana’s. [/quote]

Constant tension means that you are not giving the targeted muscle a small break in between every rep. I don’t know what you think it has to do with any particular rep range or time limit.

His sets last 5 to 10 seconds? I don’t think so. A one rep max can already take 5 seconds to complete. The heaviest sets will most likely last 12 to 15.

Arnold and Zane also trained in a pyramid style. Many of their heavy sets also lasted 15 seconds.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
MytchBucanan wrote:

There is a reason he is 43 and still lifting heavy.

Medicinal enhancement?

Just a guess…[/quote]

Well many medicinally enhanced bodybuilders show more wear & tear by the time they are Ronnie’s age. Most are much past their prime in strength and size at that point (unlike him).

I think what sets Ronnie apart is that he has always trained with an emphasis on longevity and mostly joint health.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I have a feeling that was done to get more exposure and not because they regularly train by seeing how far they can toss weights around. It’s not like he can come out screaming, “lightweight, baaaaayyyybeeee!!!”. That one is taken.[/quote]

They both train at Metroflex in Arlington, he must have picked it up one day Ronnie was in there =)

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
Alphaboy wrote:
Constant tension to me is 45-60 seconds. Most of his sets lasted 5-10 secs. I got more out of watching Zane, Nick JONES and Arnold train.

Yeah BRANCH is massive and I’m sure his steroid bill is as well. And yes its obvious that he’s bigger than 99% percent of the population.

My impression of Branch training was 2 apes in a cage fighting over 200kgs of banana’s.

Constant tension means that you are not giving the targeted muscle a small break in between every rep. I don’t know what you think it has to do with any particular rep range or time limit.

His sets last 5 to 10 seconds? I don’t think so. A one rep max can already take 5 seconds to complete. The heaviest sets will most likely last 12 to 15.

Arnold and Zane also trained in a pyramid style. Many of their heavy sets also lasted 15 seconds.

[/quote]

Well if you don’t think from the video that each set lasted up to around 10 seconds you may need to go back and view the video again.

And my comment of constant tension, yes i know what constant tension is!

And I believe that hypertrophy is best suited to 45-60 seconds each set. That was my point.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
shawninjapan wrote:
Bodyguard wrote:

If you drop them from that height enough or on top of each other at some point they crack or break. Hell even the new fixed plate loaded dumbbells break apart when the big goons drop the end of the rack ones enough.

Having worked out at Metroflex a number of times (Arlington is my hometown and every time I go back that’s where I lift), I can say that there is plenty of weight dropping, specifically the dumbells, to the degree that I avoid using many of the dumbells there because the weights are hanging so loosely off the handle you never know when they are going to finally give and crush your skull.

That said, I sure as hell have never, ever seen anyone throwing shit around like in that video. There is a difference between what I have seen, which is the result of putting down extremely heavy weights, and just throwing shit around for the sake of it, which is extremely dangerous and stupid, not “hardcore.”

I’m not sure what my opinion is on dropping the dumbells, either, for that matter. It is far better to be able to do so, but it does fuck up the weights, and somebody is gonna get seriously injured one day.

I have a feeling that was done to get more exposure and not because they regularly train by seeing how far they can toss weights around. It’s not like he can come out screaming, “lightweight, baaaaayyyybeeee!!!”. That one is taken.[/quote]

No you guys have got it all wrong. They just finished watching the videos of that HARDCORE BACKYARD SEWER GRATE LIFTING BADASS!!! They just missed that you’re supposed to be outside.

[quote]Alphaboy wrote:
MytchBucanan wrote:
Alphaboy wrote:

My impression of Branch training was 2 apes in a cage fighting over 200kgs of banana’s.

Well if you don’t think from the video that each set lasted up to around 10 seconds you may need to go back and view the video again.

And my comment of constant tension, yes i know what constant tension is!

And I believe that hypertrophy is best suited to 45-60 seconds each set. That was my point.[/quote]

Interesting point. I do think 45 to 60 seconds is a bit long. I’m guessing that would be around 60% of 1 rep max (probably less if constant tension were used). That weight would not activate many fast-twitch fibers.

I may need to watch it again, but I don’t remember the video showing entire sets, just the last few reps.

Since we are on the subject, Steve Holman (of IronMan magazine)often says that the 30 second rule is best for hitting the most favorable ratio of fast-twitch to slow twitch fibers.

Then again, Chad Waterbury (T-Nation) thinks any time limit is pointless if you total enough volume per exercise. He often recommends many sets of 3 reps.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
No you guys have got it all wrong. They just finished watching the videos of that HARDCORE BACKYARD SEWER GRATE LIFTING BADASS!!! They just missed that you’re supposed to be outside.
[/quote]

LOL

:slight_smile: