T Nation

Brain Tumors

A friend was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor. He will have surgery this week to remove it. The team of physicians confirmed it was cancerous.

I've done some research on-line, but wanted to find out from any of you, if you've had a relative or friend have this disease? What was the prognosis and some details of treatment?

I know exactly how you feel, when I was 11 my pet rabbit started walking funny. Three days later he couldn’t even stand up by himself so we had to kill him. I was so sad, I didn’t eat his grandkids for several weeks after.

I dont want to be a downer but here are some facts. The prognosis of the various brain tumors varies greatly, so it is necessary to know which one your friend has. The most common one being glioblastoma multiforme in adults. It is also quite unfortunately the most malignant with a poor survival time. Oligodendrogliomas and lower grade astrocytomas are less common and have slightly better prognoses, though oligodendrogliomas are considered incurable and palliation seems to be the only option.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject but it would be best just to speak to him/her about it.