Brain Function Boosters 3.0

Thread One - Forums - T Nation - The World's Trusted Community for Elite Fitness

Thread Two - Forums - T Nation - The World's Trusted Community for Elite Fitness

I know its been covered before, but anyone here use adderall?

Scored some for finals couple weeks ago. Me likey very, very much.

Any opinions/experiences?

Hey all

Just discovered and read through the first two threads. So much great information there! Right now I’m trying to finish up nursing school, and I’ve decided to try the stack of: Vinpocetine, DMAE, and Aniracetam. I’m also considering picking up some oxiracetam for sort of an “as needed” basis. I’d appreciate if anyone could PM me a good source to find these. Thanks for all the great info, keep it coming!

Was going to update last week about my continuing “Dart” experience. My thursday league was off last week and will be this week do to the holidays. Anyways, Last wednesday was another successful night. 27.5 PPD. I think this is the third week in a row it has slipped but to be honest I forgot to even take my brain boosters before the match, so I was only running on the improved base state I have achieved so far.

Another variable I’d like to throw in, The bar decided to have thier christmas party that night and our matches start at 7:00. Well at 8:00 he started free beers and free food till midnight. So #1 it was packed, and #2 I might have imbibed in an extra beverage or two, seeing as they were free.

In any event, when I started taking the brain boosters. My season average was 23 I believe. I’ll have to go back and look at the other thread to confirm. But one week in, I noticed very little. But after a couple weeks, my nights started going up fast. a 29 average, then a 32 average, then back to a 29 average and then finally a 27 average this past week.

But over the past 4 weeks my average is 29.25 versus my previous season average of 23 which was the first 7 or 8 weeks of the season. So I think it shows there is a very real improvement here. I will keep updating till I have equal samples of each, but halfway through the boosted period, I am very happy with the results, oh and so are my teamates.

And just one more side note, something unmeasurable. I have been involved in exactly 1 loss these past 4 weeks. I play 7 games per night out of the 13 my team plays. so I went 27-1 over the last 4 weeks. This is a really amazing stat line because everyone has a bad game here and there, and even if my partner has been struggling I have been able to play well enough to pick up thier slack and still overcome the other team.

And over this past 4 weeks I really have not had even 1 “bad” game, there were some average games in there, but nothing bad and a whole lot of really good ones.

V

Anyone have a good source of Aniracetam? I used RElentless improvement in the past, but they no longer carry it due to it being a poor seller.

[quote]rehabman28 wrote:
Anyone have a good source of Aniracetam? I used RElentless improvement in the past, but they no longer carry it due to it being a poor seller.[/quote]

I’m interested in this as well. In the past I bought Cognitive Nutrition’s aniracetam powder, 100g for ~$30. Now they’re selling 45g in caps for the same price. If that’s the going rate, fine…but if anyone has a more reasonably priced source I’d be grateful.

Do any of the previously mentioned boosters have a positive effect on insulin sensitivity?

Dart update. We played the #1 team last night, we are currently in second place. They have a 13 game lead on us. Niether of us has lost a match all season long, though the winner at the end of the year is soley decided on total wins or losses. So a 7-6 win is not as good as say a 11-2 win.

Anyways, I personally shot a 27.5 last night which is still a good deal above my old season average. I also had another really amazing game where I closed the game out in 4 rounds. I luckily left myself 150 with my third round and was able to hit the hat trick to win the game in 4 rounds. Also we managed to trounce the other team 10-3 on the night. It’s really mind boggling how we were able to handle them like this.

They were a bit off, but to only win 3 games has to be demoralizing to them. Next week is the last week of the first half so we made a nice run at them and closed thier lead to 6 games. The boosters are still working good, I did lose one game last ngiht, but to be honest, the other team had a kid who just caught fire and had a 5 round out against us. Other than throwing another 4 rounder, I was not going to win that game.

There were several times my team was in a hole and several times where I was able to hit a really crucial round to give us the advantage at the end of a game. Sometimes that is more important than what your actual averages were. Being able to hit the clutch dart.

V

When talking about vinpocetine, is this periwinkle extract, or something synthetic?
Was thinking of DMAE, Vinpo and N-Acetyl Tyrosine for upcoming exams.
Also does anyone know a UK supplier of N-Acetyl Tyrosine?

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

[quote]tolismann wrote:
Do any of the previously mentioned boosters have a positive effect on insulin sensitivity?[/quote]
No, but more importantly, they do not have a negative effect in insulin sensitivity, unlike adderal, etc.

BBB[/quote]

I started using piracetam and vinpocetine regularly over a year ago and my last A1C was 5.5 - which was a point (or maybe 1.5; previous record was 6.5 or 7.0) lower than it has ever been. Although I haven’t been a good doctor-visiting diabetic lately and had it checked in about 8 months so I don’t have any additional data points. But if anything they are supposed to improve your body’s ability to utilize glucose, and I believe there is data floating around to show both of these compounds as capable of enhancing brain-glucose uptake (with possible other downstream effects on efficient glucose utilization and the insulin system).

I have a question that is actually remotely relevant and I think you guys, if any, know the answer.

I take it Power Drive works in part because L-tyrosine turns into epinephrine (adrenaline), norepinephrine (noradrenaline) and dopamine, (some of which also turns into the aforementioned substances). But L-tyrosine is just and aminoacid, present in my protein shake and therefore in milk and probably meat and flour and whatever. What I wonder is:

Why don’t I get any effect from tyrosine consumed with food, but when it’s almost alone down there it gets me 11 deadlifts with my 5RM?

I have a theory, but it sounds like some kindergarten stuff, so could someone explain it to me? I know that it’s probably a stupid question. I also read that Power Drive should be consumed on an empty stomach, 3 hours after and at least 45 minutes before anything else, I want to understand the mechanism.

This is just a fantastic thread…all parts…1, 2, and now 3.

These are the type of discussions that bring me back to this site repeatedly. Thankyou to the posters who have resurrected it.

I, unfortunately, do not tolerate aniracetam very well. Seriously speaking, it puts me in a SERIOUSLY bad mood. It basically turns me into a “bad drunk”, i.e. someone who is overly aggressive and “throws their weight around” when under its “influence”. Why this is, I don’t know. But it looks like fat soluable racetams are definitely not for me.

Anyone else like this? Anyone had a reasonable rationale mechanism that might explain such strange reactions for me?

Now, I did not consume the ani with DMAE, but I am taking a full dose of the liquid alpha-GPC in the evenings (for the growth hormone effect as well as the acetylcholine replenishment). I am considering redoing my experiment with DMAE with the ani while continuing to take the alph-GPC in the evening. OR, I am considering replacing my plan of using DMAE with just plain ol alpha-GPC.

With all the wonder talk of Ani on this thread, I am a little crushed that it didn’t work for me. Piracetam will follow after another couple weeks of Ani.

[quote]buffd_samurai wrote:

These are the type of discussions that bring me back to this site repeatedly. Thankyou to the posters who have resurrected it.

I, unfortunately, do not tolerate aniracetam very well. Seriously speaking, it puts me in a SERIOUSLY bad mood. It basically turns me into a “bad drunk”, i.e. someone who is overly aggressive and “throws their weight around” when under its “influence”. Why this is, I don’t know. But it looks like fat soluable racetams are definitely not for me.

Anyone else like this? Anyone had a reasonable rationale mechanism that might explain such strange reactions for me?

Now, I did not consume the ani with DMAE, but I am taking a full dose of the liquid alpha-GPC in the evenings (for the growth hormone effect as well as the acetylcholine replenishment). I am considering redoing my experiment with DMAE with the ani while continuing to take the alph-GPC in the evening. OR, I am considering replacing my plan of using DMAE with just plain ol alpha-GPC.

With all the wonder talk of Ani on this thread, I am a little crushed that it didn’t work for me. Piracetam will follow after another couple weeks of Ani.
[/quote]

That is valuable feedback and whilst I have no explanation, I do value your input as another ‘point on the graph’ of the vagaries of individual response.

BBB[/quote]
The different amino acids (in foods) do compete with each other to cross the blood brain barrier, I think this is one reason…

[quote]middleageguy wrote:

[/quote]

That is valuable feedback and whilst I have no explanation, I do value your input as another ‘point on the graph’ of the vagaries of individual response.

BBB[/quote]
The different amino acids (in foods) do compete with each other to cross the blood brain barrier, I think this is one reason…[/quote]

Hmmm…I’m failing to understand the relationship of your answer to the issue I brought up…I didn’t indicate eating anything (food) different with the Ani. Sorry…but thanks for thinking about it!

I’m wondering: when talking about brain function boosting, why do I not read anything about Spike? For me at least, Spike definitely belongs in this conversation. I find Spike to be VERY effective in helping with focus, with brain energy, and with motivation. I read alot of people’s good words towards Moda and its effect on motivation…I’m just wondering if they had tried Spike for a decent comparison.

For that matter, I had also found Sclaremax to be quite “brain stimulating” as well.

Anyone else like this? [/quote] Yes.[quote]
Anyone had a reasonable rationale mechanism that might explain such strange reactions for me?[/quote]
You could be dopamine dominant in your genetic brain make up.
By taking a substance that might enhance dopamine levels in you pre frontal cortex you tip over an already high dopamine level. Two of the functions implicated on the pre frontal cortex are: personality expression and moderation of correct social behavior. If you are, by default, high dopamine, low serotonin and low norepinepherine, enhancing dopamine and serotonin might explain the neurological effect on your mood and behavioural changes.

"Aniracetam enhances cortical dopamine and serotonin release via cholinergic and glutamatergic mechanisms in SHRSP

Shirane M, Nakamura K.

CNS Supporting Laboratory,
Nippon Roche Research Center,
200 Kajiwara, 247-8530, Kamakura, Japan
Brain Res 2001 Oct 19;916(1-2):211-21

Abstract

Aniracetam, a cognition enhancer, has been recently found to preferentially increase extracellular levels of dopamine (DA) and serotonin (5-HT) in the prefrontal cortex (PFC), basolateral amygdala and dorsal hippocampus of the mesocorticolimbic system in stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats. In the present study, we aimed to identify actually active substances among aniracetam and its major metabolites and to clarify the mode of action in DA and 5-HT release in the PFC. Local perfusion of mecamylamine, a nicotinic acetylcholine (nACh) and N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist, into the ventral tegmental area (VTA) and dorsal raphe nucleus (DRN) completely blocked DA and 5-HT release, respectively, in the PFC elicited by orally administered aniracetam. The effects of aniracetam were mimicked by local perfusion of N-anisoyl–aminobutyric acid (N-anisoyl-GABA), one of the major metabolites of aniracetam, into the VTA and DRN. The cortical DA release induced by N-anisoyl-GABA applied to the VTA was also completely abolished by co-perfusion of mecamylamine. Additionally, when p-anisic acid, another metabolite of aniracetam, and N-anisoyl-GABA were locally perfused into the PFC, they induced DA and 5-HT release in the same region, respectively. These results indicate that aniracetam enhances DA and 5-HT release by mainly mediating the action of N-anisoyl-GABA that targets not only somatodendritic nACh and NMDA receptors but also presynaptic nACh receptors."