T Nation

Brag's Powerlifting Journey

Just creating a new log here to start off the next phase of my training following last weekend’s competition.

Current total: 1285lbs
Goal: 1400lbs by the end of February 2020 (possibly going to compete around this time)

@205lbs bw

5 Likes

Light session today, laying off of the big movements for another few days. Experimented with flat back deadlifts. Felt decent, but the weight is extremely light. From now on I’m pulling with a flat back until I peak for the next competition.

Deadlift
12x1x185 (really focused on rotating the elbows in and maintaining a neutral spine)

Romanian deadlifts
4x5x185

Rows
4x5x185

Reverse hypers
4x12 bw

Pull-ups

Bicep curls
4x6

Rear delt raise/lateral raise
4 supersets

1 Like

BW/Head Size goal +15 lbs

1 Like

That’s goal number 2 brah

1 Like

But is ur head natty?

Only at the right camera angle

Did some form of the McGill big 3:

Planks 2 per side, 30 seconds
Bird dogs 3x6 per leg
Partial situps 3x8 per side

In for the new log and new goal Braggy.

I’m not too convinced that this is a good plan. Unless of course you plan on keeping the back flat.
I think that you could end up hurting your back if you’ve been pulling flat backed for several month and then switching to the old style when shit gets heavy.
Not saying you should pull with a rounded back, but more that you should work on strengthening the core and trying to remain that back stable in it’s natural curve throughout the lift.

BUT I’m absolutely no expert, so take the above as kind of a bro talk.

1 Like

No mort, you make an excellent point. Ideally, I’d become comfortable enough with the flat backed pulling that I can use it in competition. If my performance needs to suffer a bit in the meantime, then so be it.

My initial plan was to do several months of flat back progression then start peaking with a more rounded style starting of course at a lighter weight. The more I think about it the more I want to just stick with flat back no matter what. It’s very early though.

Like you mentioned, core work is a must for me. I’ve neglected it a ton. I plan on hammering the hamstrings at least once a week.

Not lifting until Monday. I’ve come up with a 12 week cycle that I’ll be following. Still doing the McGill big 3 every other day.

Planks 2xper side
Bird dogs 3x6
Partial situps 3x6 per side

Couldn’t resist a quick session to work on my neutral spine deadlift. Weights moved slow off the floor but I think that’s pretty much par for the course when you set up and brace like that. It felt like I almost had to ease the bar off the floor. The lockout was extremely easy, also expected. For the 405 pull I felt my body shaking about halfway up. Not sure if that’s because my core is weak.

RDLs
5x5x185

Deadlift (neutral spine)
3x1x225
3x1x275
6x1x315
1x1x365
1x1x405

Pullups
8x4

Reverse Hyper
4x12

Seated rows
4x8

Bicep curls + lateral raise superset x4

McGill big 3

Competition videos from last weekend:

440 Squat

287 bench

297 bench fail

557 deadlift

2 Likes

Good shit brother.

1 Like

Thats a fancy lookin warmup room lol

oh and that deadlift runnin with new form looks pretty good. Ill say that i used to try to essentially squat my deadlifts up but switched over to a flat back style probably a year or so ago. Never will look back now. Once you get it down youll feel so solid in the position. My erectors in my mid and low back have grown so much since then. But im with you on the hamstrings. i dont think the posterior chain can be strong enough.

1 Like

First real session back. In and out in 30 minutes.

Squat
4x2x295
2x6x225

Pause Bench
5x5x185

Close grip tng
2x8x136

Facepulls
4x8

Incline press
4x8x95

@guineapig appreciate it man. Long way to go.

@kckfl349 hah I was surprised at how quick the squat looked. Certainly didn’t feel very fast :stuck_out_tongue:

Yea I think it certainly takes some getting used to. Hopefully in the long run, with some practice it will be a lot stronger than my current pull.

1 Like

Ur well and truely stronger than me now brother. Big head inspiration right there. Hopefully I make it one day

Bit unfair considering you haven’t been able to squat or deadlift properly in several months. It’s good to see you getting back to where you were bro. Patience

1 Like

Running on fumes today. I’m enjoying the submaximal work that I planned for myself.

Deadlift
4x2x275
2x315
1x365
1x405 felt like I lost a bit of tightness.

Rows
5x5x185

OHP
6x5x95 jeez way harder than I thought. Yikes :confused:

Reverse hyper
4x12

Rear felt/later raise supersets
4 sets

McGill big 3

2 Likes

Another 30 minute session.

Tempo squat (2 second descent, 2 second pause)
5x5x225

Bench
4x2x225
2x8x185

Facepull
4x8

Dips

McGill big 3

1 Like