Bragging About Bench Press?

[quote]Rational Gaze wrote:
If you have to ask you are probably a douchebag.[/quote]

x2

Bench press by definition=bar touching the chest.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]its_just_me wrote:

[quote]guel0013 wrote:
Does bringing the bar down until your arms are 90 degrees, without touching the chest, deserve bragging rights as your 1 rep bench max?[/quote]

It deserves the same amount of bragging rights as the ones who have “spotters” lift half the weight :wink:

But don’t worry, when you finally manage a legitimate 400lbs+ bench, you’ll be old enough to not brag LOL[/quote]

^^This.

Side Note: you benching 4bills these days its_just_me?

.greg.[/quote]

Well I stopped when I got to about 320 because I discovered the benefits of dumbbell benching (could feel the pecs better). Also, me and my training partner sometimes have different shift patterns at work so we don’t always get to train together (have a garage gym) and spot each other (like for the barbel bench press). I must admit though, 320 was quit a big sticking point for me.

How about yourself?

A guy who has shorter arms and a much thicker thorax is effectively doing less physical work then a someone with long arms who is less thick.

Comparing phalli is futile and childish.

Instead, you should find out what works for you and lets you stay healthy.

This should be in the beginners section…

[quote]desolator wrote:
Bench press by definition=bar touching the chest.[/quote]
QFT

OP you could always do a BB Floor press, its a legit exercise, limited ROM. Why not try that?

Just have a squat competition against your friend or whoever you want to brag to, that will reveal the true winner.

His ROM on squats is similar to bench. He doesn’t go to parallel because he claims it is hard on his knees. Maybe, he and I could have a high squat contest? He is strictly into bodybuilding and so his goal is to add lean musle mass.

Do these methods even lead to progress for strictly bodybuilding goals?

Is he growing or not? Isn’t that the only question that matters?

If you want to have an all-out strength contest with the guy, challenge him with deadlifts. If he says he doesn’t deadlift, call him a pussy and tell him to get back up with you when he stops being one.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
If you want to have an all-out strength contest with the guy, challenge him with deadlifts. If he says he doesn’t deadlift, call him a pussy and tell him to get back up with you when he stops being one.
[/quote]

This. There are no half measures when it comes to deadlifting.

No, not coming down to your chest does not constitute a bench press.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Is he growing or not? Isn’t that the only question that matters?[/quote]

Exactly! I posted a vid on youtube a while back of me doing some heavy db laterals. I’d say my form was fairly strict considering the poundage but I got comment after comment about how I was cheating and my form was lousy, etc. And my response was that although it may be contrary to what you’ve heard/read about always maintaining super-strict form, what I’m doing has gotten me RESULTS! End of story.

[quote]guel0013 wrote:
His ROM on squats is similar to bench. He doesn’t go to parallel because he claims it is hard on his knees. Maybe, he and I could have a high squat contest? He is strictly into bodybuilding and so his goal is to add lean musle mass.

Do these methods even lead to progress for strictly bodybuilding goals?[/quote]

Since the title of this thread is “bragging about bench press”…he’s not doing a full legal lift and therefore can’t brag about being able to bench press or squat X amount.

[quote]guel0013 wrote:

Do these methods even lead to progress for strictly bodybuilding goals?[/quote]

edit double post…

[quote]1morerep wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

Exactly! I posted a vid on youtube a while back of me doing some heavy db laterals. I’d say my form was fairly strict considering the poundage but I got comment after comment about how I was cheating and my form was lousy, etc. And my response was that although it may be contrary to what you’ve heard/read about always maintaining super-strict form, what I’m doing has gotten me RESULTS! End of story. [/quote]

When posting a vid on youtube, ALWAYS disable comments.

[quote]1morerep wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

Exactly! I posted a vid on youtube a while back of me doing some heavy db laterals. I’d say my form was fairly strict considering the poundage but I got comment after comment about how I was cheating and my form was lousy, etc. And my response was that although it may be contrary to what you’ve heard/read about always maintaining super-strict form, what I’m doing has gotten me RESULTS! End of story. [/quote]

Funniest part about those situations are the people nailing you on your “form” are usually a lot smaller lol

THAT or All the Big Guys Monitor youtube religiously.

I don’t use full rom for chest presses. Am I reading right that some of you actually think this is wrong now?

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:

[quote]1morerep wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

Funniest part about those situations are the people nailing you on your “form” are usually a lot smaller lol

THAT or All the Big Guys Monitor youtube religiously.[/quote]

Notice the lack of pictures from most of them.

My chest is pretty big to me and most of the people I see THIS worried about “perfect form” are little dudes with a chip on their shoulder who think their “full rom” makes them better than the guy outweighing them by 60lbs and benching 3 times what they are.

I don’t touch my chest because that is a rest position. I see more results by keeping a constant stimulus with the weight used and considering my chest grows from this more than the people who complain about the form, I will keep doing it.

I will be glad when these fuckers actually gain the size to justify the talk.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:

[quote]1morerep wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

My chest is pretty big to me and most of the people I see THIS worried about “perfect form” are little dudes with a chip on their shoulder who think their “full rom” makes them better than the guy outweighing them by 60lbs and benching 3 times what they are.

I don’t touch my chest because that is a rest position. I see more results by keeping a constant stimulus with the weight used and considering my chest grows from this more than the people who complain about the form, I will keep doing it.

I will be glad when these fuckers actually gain the size to justify the talk.[/quote]

I hear ya. Lol i mean hell, youve seen the shit ive gotten for my bench. But looking at my side chest, id like to think i have some decently thick pecs.

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:

[quote]1morerep wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

I will be glad when these fuckers actually gain the size to justify the talk.[/quote]

I hear ya. Lol i mean hell, youve seen the shit ive gotten for my bench.[/quote]

Well, all I can say is none of that shit came from me.

I don’t know very many guys my size or bigger who worry about making sure the bar touches their chest when they do a pressing movement.

It just isn’t that damn important unless you are POWERLIFTING and are being judged for form.

If 98% of the huge fuckers I saw did an exercise a certain way, I was never clueless enough as a newb to think they all must be doing it wrong.