Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat

I used eat stop eat around this time last year to help me loose weight. It worked, but I didn’t see much improvement in strength. I went to the gym 4 days a week and fasted 1-2 days depending on the rate of fat loss I wanted. I also ate low carb. I dont think this was the best way to work because I couldn’t lift anywhere near enough to grow and maybe even lost some muscle mass. I was not using creatine or bcaa’s so this could help you. I found it easy to deal with, but I’m muslim I fast for a month every year anyway since I was kid.

When I fasted for a month this year, I lost 4kg, gained a bit of strength and was more defined. I found lifting 5 sets of 3 heavy reps seemed to spare muscle mass and even put some on. I think I had a protein shake and oatmeal before the gym, a high carb protein bar after and some other food at about 4 am in the morning. If I was to use any form of fasting again to loose weight I would base it on this model because it worked well in the space of 4 weeks, my diet was poor and my training was maybe 2 or 3 times a week, but I still saw results.

[quote]lickyourelbow wrote:
I used eat stop eat around this time last year to help me loose weight. It worked, but I didn’t see much improvement in strength. I went to the gym 4 days a week and fasted 1-2 days depending on the rate of fat loss I wanted. I also ate low carb. I dont think this was the best way to work because I couldn’t lift anywhere near enough to grow and maybe even lost some muscle mass. I was not using creatine or bcaa’s so this could help you. I found it easy to deal with, but I’m muslim I fast for a month every year anyway since I was kid.

When I fasted for a month this year, I lost 4kg, gained a bit of strength and was more defined. I found lifting 5 sets of 3 heavy reps seemed to spare muscle mass and even put some on. I think I had a protein shake and oatmeal before the gym, a high carb protein bar after and some other food at about 4 am in the morning. If I was to use any form of fasting again to loose weight I would base it on this model because it worked well in the space of 4 weeks, my diet was poor and my training was maybe 2 or 3 times a week, but I still saw results. [/quote]

I’m not sure I understand you.

Was it the diet that caused you to lose strength, or you didn’t lift hard enough to grow while on the diet?

If you don’t lift at adequate intensity on any diet, you won’t get the desired results. I’m not saying people have to bust their ass while even on a very low calorie diet, but there has to be some intensity (of effort and percentage of max) to maintain weight.

I have been doing a sort of IF meets V-Diet with low carb for the last 3 months and have lost 12 kg of bullshit and hit two PRs.
I am an impatient person when it comes to fatloss though and wish it was all going a bit faster.
Was doing 2-3 day carb ups ala UD2.0 but I scaled it down to one big carb up day and I feel better for it.

Been doing ese for two years.
I’ve been IF’ing before I knew it had a name.

I’ve always been a chronic breakfast skipper…I drink coffee all morning til I’m ready to hit the gym and will have something small(cuppa cottage cheese) beforehand. Lunch being the biggest meal of the day.

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
Been doing ese for two years.
I’ve been IF’ing before I knew it had a name.

I’ve always been a chronic breakfast skipper…I drink coffee all morning til I’m ready to hit the gym and will have something small(cuppa cottage cheese) beforehand. Lunch being the biggest meal of the day. [/quote]

I have something small for bfast: a thing of yogurt and if we have any, a FINIbar. I generally have a shake PWO and then don’t eat again until sometime between 7-8. And finally a yogurt (sometimes) at bedtime. This is changing since I started working again though. If I cut out the sweets and junk food I’ve gotten back into, I would probably see some changes.

I don’t think I could go 12 hours without eating. Can you drink during those 12 hours? Like water or Gatorade or something?

No Gatorade. Only water and calorie free beverages.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]lickyourelbow wrote:

When I fasted for a month this year, I lost 4kg, gained a bit of strength and was more defined. I found lifting 5 sets of 3 heavy reps seemed to spare muscle mass and even put some on. I think I had a protein shake and oatmeal before the gym, a high carb protein bar after and some other food at about 4 am in the morning. If I was to use any form of fasting again to loose weight I would base it on this model because it worked well in the space of 4 weeks, my diet was poor and my training was maybe 2 or 3 times a week, but I still saw results. [/quote]

I’m not sure I understand you.

Was it the diet that caused you to lose strength, or you didn’t lift hard enough to grow while on the diet?

If you don’t lift at adequate intensity on any diet, you won’t get the desired results. I’m not saying people have to bust their ass while even on a very low calorie diet, but there has to be some intensity (of effort and percentage of max) to maintain weight. [/quote]

I think it’s the diet. I started with a 5x5 program and went until I hit a wall and thought to extend growth would be to try conrast training. I hit a wall again and it was difficiult to progress. I think its becuase my carbs were virtually non-existent, I had read some article on here that advised cutting down to 90g or less so I was having one bowl of oatmeal when I wasn’t fasting. But like I said, this is before I used creatine so maybe with creatine it might work better. When I was fasting I had a much easier time even though my diet was much worse the number of times I actually went to the gym was much lower too.

Cut down carbs to 90 grams FOR WHAT?

Did you replace the calories coming from carbs with calories from fat while keeping total calories and protein constant?