T Nation

Brad Gillingham 12 Wk Raw Bench Program

I’ve been training for a little over 7 months and just came off of a cycle of 5/3/1 for my bench press. I maxed at 270 at 205 pounds. I plan on switching from 5/3/1 on my bench to something else. I stumbled across Gillingham’s program and seemed to find good feedback on it. However, I can’t seem to find anything about the assistance work in this program other than the light bench day, My chest seem to be moving ahead of my triceps. Whenever I fail on a rep I can always get the weight off my chest and end up failing the rep about half way up.

I am basically looking for a few more opinions on this program and am wondering what, if any additional assistance work is needed. If anybody would like to suggest another program I would have an open mind about that too.

My motto is “kill the shit out of your triceps all the damn time”. Not really, but you get the idea. Triceps are really hard to injure or overtrain, so you may as well do all the tricep assistance you can think of after bench days. So as for “if any additional assistance work is needed” I would say there is hardly a lifter alive who wouldn’t benefit from some more tricep work.