T Nation

Bq, The FFB Dietary Critique

As for the cardio : i walk on 3 of my off days, just as you recommended - the weather is nice and i enjoy it - i usually do some shopping while doing so.

My sample diet now :

7.00 P+C
cottage cheese (150grams) + yogurt + some oatmeal + veggies + peaches (200grams)
P/F/C: 32/4/53

10.45 P+C, here i find it hard to find different protein source than whey, still i try (cause Cheese and whey is the same source i think?)
turkey, 150grams + 1apple (200grams), left-over veggies+ raw oatmeal, 50 grams ( i like it that way :wink:
P/F/C: 30/4/53

14.00 P+C
chicken breast, 150grams

melon, 200grams
broccoli
1/2 cup of beans
P/F/C: 40/33/31

16:30 P+F
Tilapia, 150+ grams, some veggies (onion, scallions, peppers)
Fish oil, 1tbsp
P/F/C: 25/16/1

19:00 P+F
Lean beef, 150grams
1/2cup of beans
veggies
Olive Oil, 2tbsp (as a dressing, not cooked)
fish oil 3 capsules (3000mg of 50% EPA/DHA)

23:00 P+F
3 whole eggs
P/F/C: 20/15/1

total :
P/F/C :187/86/150
2120 calories

I know it is far from ideal - i find it quite hard to eat 6different protein sources daily (sometimes i repeat them to be honest, but never more than twice). Some meals are higher in P, cause i calculated the proteins in yogurt in.

On training days, 30grams go PWO and 30grams into either 1st or second meal.

My energy levels at workouts still suffer - i don’t feel much stregth progression. Now i wonder - now, on such light training regime i’m losing pounds - how much i could (and probably should) have eaten while doing hiit + edt.

Regards,
ps. and once again thx for helping me out :wink:

As for those carbs which are not PWO - oatmeal/yogurt is ok but brown rice/whole wheat pasta cooked ‘al dente’ too? Or these are only PWO?

Right now you’re getting 6 meals. 3 P+F meals and 3 P+C meals. I want to change that to 4 P+C meals and 2 P+F meals. Get your olive oil in one of the P+F meals and your flaxseed oil at the other.

I’m going to give you credit for all carbs, but we’re counting Net Carbs, not Total Carbs. Net Carbs (g) = Total Carbs (g) minus Fiber Carbs (g).

On your P+C meals, I want you to get 50g of starchy carbs (Net Carbs, right?) in each of those 4 meals. Fruit, beans and veggies are extra. Right now you’ve got the following requirements in your diet:

• Protein per day
  • Protein per meal
  • Fat per day
  • Fat per meal (# of grams in P+F meals and no more than 5g in P+C meals)
  • Fruit (3 servings @ 80-100 calories)
  • Beans (1/2 cup)
  • PWO nutrition (a minimum number of starchy carbs, being a 2:1 ratio of starchy carbs to protein)
  • Starchy carbs in P+C meals = 50g

You should be above 210g of carbs per day with fruit and beans.

Cardio creates an additional caloric deficit, so we need to trade it for something else that keeps your heart and cardiovascular system healthy. You can still go shopping, but no structured walking-type cardio. Do 1 HIIT session per week, which is 20 minutes.

You’ll do 6 minutes of warmup to get the heart pumping and raise core temp. Do seven all-out 30-second sprints, followed by 90 seconds slow and easy to get your heart rate down and get caught up on your breathing. You’ll be done in 20 minutes.

You may not see strength progressions until we’ve got you at a caloric excess and gaining week by week.

How should you eat PWO? In addition to everything else you are adding/doing, I’d like for you to drink a pint of chocolate milk when you’re leaving the gym.

Approved starchy carbs are oatmeal (slow cook), sweet potatoes, yams, whole wheat pasta (spaghetti? (grin)), brown rice, amaranth, quinoa and whole-grain sprouted breads.

Think you can do it? (grin)

Sure thing :wink:

Still i don’t know if this isn’t to big step. Now i’m on 60grams of carbs - maybe this week give it 120grams and next if i won’t progress up another 60grams and so on?

Ps. as for the oatmeal - i don’t cook it - i eat it raw or with whey/yogurt - seriously (it’s the real stuff, not sweetened or pre-cooked)

Ps2. As for the fats : i find it hard to keep up with 30/30/30 proportion. I had 2tbsp of olive oil, 1tbsp of flax, 1tbsp of fish oil and 3 o-3 caps. In your book raw walnuts seem ok ? They have lots of polys and not much carbs. I’m usually over the top with mono- fats.
Regards,

Ps2. As for the fats : i find it hard to keep up with 30/30/30 proportion. I had 2tbsp of olive oil, 1tbsp of flax, 1tbsp of fish oil and 3 o-3 caps. In your book raw walnuts seem ok ? They have lots of polys and not much carbs. I’m usually over the top with mono- fats.

All you’re attempting to do is get roughly equal amounts of those 3 different types of fat. If you know you tend to be a bit heavy in one of the 3, try to give a little more priority to the one that gets shortchanged.

Walnuts are good, yes!!!

Still i don’t know if this isn’t to big step. Now i’m on 60grams of carbs - maybe this week give it 120grams and next if i won’t progress up another 60grams and so on?

When you laid out your diet for me above with numbers, you were consuming 150g of carbs per day. Raising the number of carbs you consume per day by 60g is actually CONSERVATIVE, considering the fact that you lost 2.5 pounds in one week’s time on a bulking diet.