BP to the Neck

Hi everyone fantastic site, i’ve been reading here for quite a while but never had the urge to post anything until now. I would really like your opinion on how the regular bench press stacks up against the bench press to the neck for over all strength (not just power lifting), fight specificity and dare I say it “functionality” I have my own theories based on some recent experimentation but would really love to here what you guys have to say on the topics. Thanks in advance.

Don’t try that one without a spotter.

[quote]wrecking crew wrote:
Hi everyone fantastic site, i’ve been reading here for quite a while but never had the urge to post anything until now. I would really like your opinion on how the regular bench press stacks up against the bench press to the neck for over all strength (not just power lifting), fight specificity and dare I say it “functionality” I have my own theories based on some recent experimentation but would really love to here what you guys have to say on the topics. Thanks in advance. [/quote]

the only way to bring the bar to the neck while also keeping your lower arms close to perpendicular to the floor would require a major flare of the elbows. In my opinion, this will lead to shoulder problems if you are talking in terms of going heavy to build strength. tucking the elbows and bringing the bar low on the chest gives you the best mechanical advantage for strength.

the short answer…I wouldn’t do it.

meat

We do it as a finisher with lighter weight as more of a stimulus for hypertrophy. We use 150 pounds and hit as many reps as we can rack count to fifteen, hit as may reps as pos, rack count to fifteen and do it one last time. Of course this is with a spotter and you will get an aching burn. As meat alluded to we wouldn’t do this with heavy poundage’s.

D

They crank on your shoulders but nail the upper pecs, thats what its my weakest bodypart.
Lee Haney did things called “Haney Presses” which were benches to the throat in a Smith Machine with elbows flared out.
They are great for concentating on the upper pecs and front delts.