Deadlift.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
doogie wrote:
GhostOfYourMind wrote:

The Bench Press isn’t really a natural move in the first place

What is a “natural move”?

Deadlift.[/quote]

Thanks.

When she can hit a double body weight bench press, then she’s qualified to talk!! And yes I was able to back in college, weight of 155lbs. Benched 325 lbs. with good form ( Lift off, hold the lock out, then descend all the way down, no bounce off the chest, lift to full extension, hold the lockout. Feet on the floor, butt and head on the bench at all times, no one but you touching the bar)

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
doogie wrote:
GhostOfYourMind wrote:

Deadlift.[/quote]

I know I’m going to regret asking, but
why is deadlift a “natural move”? If something falls on me, I naturally want to push it off of me.

[quote]doogie wrote:
Testy1 wrote:
doogie wrote:
GhostOfYourMind wrote:

Deadlift.

why is deadlift a “natural move”? If something falls on me, I naturally want to push it off of me. [/quote]

Or if you’re pushing something/someone away from you;
you’re stuck in a tight spot and need more room;
you fell face down and catch yourself before doing a faceplant…

If your body can do the movement without extensive training, it’s natural.

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:
doogie wrote:
Testy1 wrote:
doogie wrote:
GhostOfYourMind wrote:

Deadlift.

why is deadlift a “natural move”? If something falls on me, I naturally want to push it off of me.

If your body can do the movement without extensive training, it’s natural.[/quote]

By that definition, wouldn’t the bench be unnatural, as it does take some learning (technique). Pushing someone away or something off you is probably different than a strict bench press.

Good points though. I guess my point was, in general, and IMO, the bench press isn’t all that natural in your daily life as maybe a squat or a deadlift. (we squat down all the time to pick stuff up, or we “deadlift” stuff up off the ground sometimes).

Anyways, interesting stuff.

[quote]GhostOfYourMind wrote:
SWR-1222D wrote:
doogie wrote:
Testy1 wrote:
doogie wrote:
GhostOfYourMind wrote:

Deadlift.

If your body can do the movement without extensive training, it’s natural.

By that definition, wouldn’t the bench be unnatural, as it does take some learning (technique). Pushing someone away or something off you is probably different than a strict bench press.

Good points though. I guess my point was, in general, and IMO, the bench press isn’t all that natural in your daily life as maybe a squat or a deadlift. (we squat down all the time to pick stuff up, or we “deadlift” stuff up off the ground sometimes).

Anyways, interesting stuff.[/quote]

Well, the way I see it is that anyone can move their arms in the motion of a bench press. The technique comes in when you want to be able to safely use greater weights.

We can move our joints in so many ways, together or separate for a reason. If it wasn’t natural for us to move in so many ways, we wouldn’t be able to do it very often without injury (IMO).

I agree that deadlifts are more functional (dare I say that word?), but everything’s relative.

The circumstances in one’s life will dictate whether a particular movement is more or less useful.

Think of someone who doesn’t workout in the traditional sence, but uses his upper back muscles a lot in his job. Doing a bench-press movement would be beneficial to prevent shoulder injuries and imbalances (same way rows and deads help fix problems that stem from too much pressing).

Some rich snobby people might never bend down to pick things up; and how often in life do we need to pick up near maximum loads, or put a load on our shoulders as we squat down and back up? :wink: