T Nation

Boyscout's Training Log

With all the Physique Clinic stuff going on, I was reminded why I started lifting in the first place: to get lean. So, a year after I actually started lifting for real, I figured it was about time to actually do it. I have two full weeks until classes start back up again, and nothing to do during those two weeks but eat, train, and practice my guitar.

So…The plan:

DIET:
meal 1:
4 eggs
broccoli w/ 1tbsp evoo and balsamic vinegar

Meal 2:
4 oz. Shrimp
Broccoli w/ 1 tbsp evvo and vinegar

meal 3 (PWO):
1 orange
1 serving Surge
(Placing my first Biotest order today! Hooray christmas money)

meal 4:
4 oz. beef (sirloin or eye of round, or xtra lean ground beef)
1oz. almonds
green veggie

Meal 5:
2 scp protein
1 tbsp evoo
Note: this is not ideal. But I work at night for a few hours right during the meal time. It shake or nothing.

meal 6:
1C cottage cheese
1 oz almonds
celery

NOTES:
-3 fish oil caps w/ each solid food meal
-I will be using HOT-ROX Extreme as well

TRAINING:
Full body split

Day 1:
45-60 morning

weights:
A1.) Horizontal pressing exercise for three reps
rest 60 secs
A2.) Vertical pulling exercise for three reps
rest 60 secs
A3.) Squat variation for three reps
rest 60 secs, repeat circuit 7 more times

-I’ll change up the order each week
-Decrease rest periods by 5 secs each week.
(I love this style of training. My body likes low rep training, and this keeps me moving the entire time. I’m giving the rest progression outlined in CW’s latest article a try. I’ve never done it before, should be interesting)

Day 2:
45-60 minute morning walk

Day 3:
A1.) horizontal pushing for three
rest 60
A2.) vertical pulling for three
rest 60
A3.) deadlift variation for three
rest 60, repeat 3 more times
then…
B1.) Vertical pushing for three
rest 60
B2.) Horizontal pulling for three
rest 60
B3.) unilateral lower body movement
rest 60, repeat three more times

-Increase reps by 1 each week until it’s sets of 5, back to three reps/set with heavier weight
-again, I like this style of training a lot, been doing it on and off for the past month or two.
-I’ve worked with rep progressions before with good results in WS4SB, so I figured I’d try it here.
-again, I’ll change up the order each week

Day 4:
45-60 min. morning walk

Day 5:
45-60 min. morning walk

Weights:
Lactate inducing circuit day, as outlined in the “destroying Fat” article.

I’m not a huge fat of high rep circuit training, but I thought I’d give it another go. I suck at high rep work, which probably means I should actually do some more of it.

Days 6 and 7:
morning walks

Conclusion:
Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

I’m trying to do things that I know I like doing (low rep training) and my body likes. In the past 6 months, I’ve put on about 20 lbs. while remaining at roughly the same BF. I’ve held the same body weight for the last month and a half. As you can see, I’m a big fan of Waterbury’s work. I’ve done his TBT and Waterbury method with great results.

Stats:
6’2"
207lbs.
probably around %15 BF (I used to be 25-30% + and over 250lbs, got down to 185 at my lowest and with a beautiful skinny fat physique)

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any advice.

EDIT: wouldn’t make much sense to drink Surge on a non training day. Replace that meal with 4oz. chicken and an oz. of almonds and a green veggie for days 2, 4, 6, and 7

I just got back home after some time with the family, so I figured I might as well jump in and start training.

I did an 8x3 circuit today:
Rack pull @275
-not heavy enough, still trying to feel these out
-bar right below the knees
Chin ups @ bodyweight
-again too light, news to me
Dips @ bodyweight
-too light

Lessons learned:
-I need a dip belt, apparently. I’ve always struggled to complete 8x3 on chins and dips before. Must have been a good day.
-dips didn’t hurt today, that’s a first. I’ve avoided them for a while because they were painful
-rack pulls were a poor choice. I wasn’t stimulating enough muscle areas. I’ll stick to squat variations for the most part from now on. That said, rack pulls would be great on the second weight training day, methinks.

Intake so far:
meal 1:
4 eggs, 1tbsp evoo
3 fish oil caps

meal 2:
4 oz. shrimp
1tbsp evoo
3 fish oil caps

meal 3 (PWO):
Obviously I don’t have surge yet, as I just ordered it yesterday.
2 scoops whey
1 large orange

Thoughts:
Generally I don’t count veggie calories, so I probably won’t post my veggie intake. This is way lower calorie than I’ve been doing. feels okay so far. This is the first time I’ve had shrimp sans deep frying or other not-good-for-you things. I don’t know that I can eat it every day, so I’ll probably switch it out between salmon and tilapia.

Felt great to be back in the gym. I got to train once while back at my parent’s place over christmas. Plenty of time off–this might have been a good thing: I hadn’t taken any time really off since june or july.

I love Surge. :slight_smile:

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
I love Surge. :)[/quote]

I’ve never tried it. Biotest doesn’t seem to like my credit card or my credit card doesn’t like Biotest, so we’ll see if I get to try it.

:confused:

I’m bad at updating this, but here goes:

Today, 45 min. walk upon waking

meal 1
4 eggs
1C broccoli
1tbsp evoo, a bit of red wine vinegar

Meal 2: 6oz. tilapia, 1C broccoli 1 tbsp evoo

Meal 3: 4 oz. chicken breast, 1 oz almonds, Celery

Meal 4: 2 scoop protein, 1 tbsp evoo

Meal 5: 4 oz. 95% lean ground beef, 1 oz. almonds, 1 green pepper

Meal 6: 1C cottage cheese, 1 oz. almonds, celery

Other intake: 12 caps fish oil

Had to work today (grocery store weekend gig). Felt good, my body is getting used to the lower calorie intake. I’m also trying to drink a ton of water (hungry? drink water.)

Still no luck sorting out the credit card thing, unfortunately.

First day for real:

meal 1: 4 eggs, veggie
meal 2: 2 scp whey, 1 tbsp oil
meal 3 (PWO): 1C skim chocolate milk, 1 scp whey, 1 orange
Still to come:
Meal 4: 4 oz chicken on a spinach salad with 1 tbsp oil and apple cider vinegar
meal 5: 4 oz. lean beef, 1 oz. almonds, broccoli
meal 6: 1C cottage cheese, 1 oz. almonds, Celery

Work out for today (at 11am)
8x3 circuit, 60 rest between exercises:
-full front squat @ 165 (too light, felt like I was moving to slow at 185, so I dropped it down and focused on moving more explosively. Not sure if this was the right call, but I’ll be doing more weight next time)
-Chin Up @ body (focused on going all the way down to the bottom, and keep my spine neutral)
-DB bench press @ 2x60lbs. (need to warm up better for these.

Did a few sets of front squats working up weight to my work set weight as well.

That’s about all. Feel good. Excited. All that jazz. I’m also thinking about switching to CW 10/10 plan.

Also, I did 30 mins. of incline walking after the weights at 10.5 incline and a speed of 3mph

[photo]10026[/photo]

[photo]10024[/photo]

Today. I’m really disappointed with myself. I don’t know what to think, or where to go really. I want to be lean, but I’m not sure if I have anything underneath there to cut to.

No wheels pics sorry. They look about the same: big muscle groups are visible, but not definitions. Sometime in the last year I grew a vastus medialis, I blame squats.

[photo]10027[/photo]

I used to look like this. Couldn’t edit out the face, or you’d all miss that gorgeous triple chin.

The first one is edited mostly for a goofy look.

Good job. You must be using the same belt because your pants are drooping.

[quote]stuward wrote:
Good job. You must be using the same belt because your pants are drooping.[/quote]

Nah, different belt. I was born without any sort of the right shape of ass to keep my pants up. It’s a sad genetic disorder that affects all the men in my family.

Fat pic was around christmas 2005, the not as fat pics were a few days ago. Two years. Scary.

I think I’m going to switch to doing Waterbury’s 10/10 program. It’s well laid out and aligns with my own personal goals. I’ve never tried high frequency training, so it could be fun. good idea? bad idea? Will start next week.

Also, it was $20 well spent. There’s a ton of good info in the book including a laid out HFT plan and some fat loss training plans as well. Good buy to anyone looking to get it.

Also, is green tea supposed to taste mostly like water? I bought lipton green tea. I’m not usually a tea drinker but with the myriad of benefits associated with green tea, I figured it was time to start drinking it.