Boyscout's Log

scout-

Are you giving yourself 2 to 3 mins of rest in between sets? That has helped me on SS.

Nice deadlift numbers btw.

[quote]maddog_612 wrote:
scout-

Are you giving yourself 2 to 3 mins of rest in between sets? That has helped me on SS.

Nice deadlift numbers btw. [/quote]

I am, closer to 4-5 on the squat works sets.

I think part of the problem with the squat things was not getting low enough. I did touch and go on a 12" box today to make sure I hit depth, and it was rough.

I don’t think I know back squats well enough yet to get a good depth by myself. I know what a ATG front squat feels like, but I’m still feeling out the back squat, I guess.

Deadlift seems to be the only lift I’m good at.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
TheDudeAbides wrote:
bigdawg011 wrote:
Good to see another bro on Starting Strength.

Keep it up!

Why would you say that? I thought everyone was doing SS :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That’s okay, I can see what it’s popular: wicked effective.

Chili Day:
1 lbs ground turkey (browned up)
1 big can diced tomatoes
1 jar salsa
1 can red beans
1 can black beans
1 (small) can mushrooms
1 can diced water chesnuts
bit of worchester(sp?) sauce
some hot sauce
chili powder, cumin, garlic salt, pepper to taste

Brown meat. then put everything together in a big pot. cook for a while. enjoy.

No time to cook later, so I gotta do it now. I have meals for the next three days in the works right now. Also slow cooking a large chunk of beef with some broccoli, other veggies, and garlic. [/quote]

i really think chili is one of the best post work out meals.
if you wanna try it out, combine portion of ground up chicken and beef. its fuckin bueno man. and some coriander if you’re feeling naughty lol.

Zues, good idea with chicken chili. I’ll have to try that next time around.

Didn’t do much today. Walked a bit, hung out. Felt my hamstrings get more sore from deadlifting as the day progressed.

Bad week for eating, I think. Grill outs for fraternities (burgers, hot dogs), birthday dinner tomorrow, some senior banquet crap on thursday and graduation weekend this weekend. Adds up to a lot of crap food for free–and as a poor college student, I have hard time turning down free food.

Then again, I’m probably just making excuses. Slipping back into a little stage 2, usually I exist peacefully in stage 4.

bro why not? gaining some fat right now wont really be detrimental to your end result, or even your progression. but then again, are you using rippetoe to lose weight? bulk? health?

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
bro why not? gaining some fat right now wont really be detrimental to your end result, or even your progression. but then again, are you using rippetoe to lose weight? bulk? health?[/quote]

I’m using rippetoe to get stronger. Whatever else happens is a side effect.

I chose, when I started with WS4SB and then moved to rippetoe a few months ago that I would not count calories or weight food. I would eat a clean 6-7 meals a day, eat when I was hungry and go from there.

I’ve had good strength gains and favorable body comp shifts in the last few months. So something was working. I’ll have an update in a bit later about today and what’s going on with the program/my gains, etc.

First, Training:
I’ve officially stalled. I got sick this week, cough and cold and sore throat. I barely got 2x5x225 on the squat today, and that’s ridiculous. After which, I fucked around for a bit, did some pull ups and some DB pressing then left. I’ll be taking the rest of the week off and hitting it again on monday.

I’m not sure if I’ll continue starting strength or do something else. I have the weekend to decide, I’ll reevaluate later.

Second, life:

Today, I am 22.

When I was 19, I looked like this picture:
[photo]10027[/photo]

Today I look like this (amusing picture just for you, T-Nation):
[photo]13204[/photo]
maybe if I can wear a medium coat that means I should get bigger?
or this:
[photo]13205[/photo]

I came from a background of playing video games and being a fat, inactive little kid. Never did sports, ever. I’m also the only member of my family who isn’t fat. crazy. I’m happy with the gains I’ve made, but I’m terrified of slipping back into what I was (stage 4 in Shug’s phoenix article).

the goal now, as before, is to get stronger and maybe (as a consequence of lifting heavier shit) get bigger. I should go eat something.

when i got sick about a month ago it really killed me. i dropped 10 pounds of bodyweight (actually most of it i bet it was water and stuff but im sure i lost something too) and my squat dropped 30 pounds or so. it will get back up. just eat a lot of stuff, especially protein after you get well.

[quote]lordstorm88 wrote:
I’ve officially stalled. I got sick this week, cough and cold and sore throat. I barely got 2x5x225 on the squat today, and that’s ridiculous. After which, I fucked around for a bit, did some pull ups and some DB pressing then left. I’ll be taking the rest of the week off and hitting it again on monday.

when i got sick about a month ago it really killed me. i dropped 10 pounds of bodyweight (actually most of it i bet it was water and stuff but im sure i lost something too) and my squat dropped 30 pounds or so. it will get back up. just eat a lot of stuff, especially protein after you get well.[/quote]

Well, the worst part is I did 235 for 2x5,1x4 on monday, then today it went to crap.

I’ve been crazy hungry this whole week, downing a lot of fruit and everything else.

sick for the whole month of march
lost the 10 lbs ive gained in the 3 months prior to being sick. kept about 95.8357% of my strength though. and the strangest thing is i was in bed most of the time, cursing the sickness, and eating… and yet i still lost significant weight.

i hope you ditch that cold quick man.

well like i told ya i lost 30 pounds on my squat. it will get back up dont worry

Session A: back in action

Took the rest of last week off. Enjoyed graduating from college. But back to the grind today.

Squat 3x5x185
Bench 3x5x135
Dead 1x5x275
Pull ups 10x2xbodyweight

Took it way easy today. It’d been a week since a deadlifted last and a few days since I squated. Felt good. The lower weights let me pay attention to more form stuff. Especially bench. I was able to keep very tight throughout and move the bar quicker.

if you’re gonna do lighter weight, why not go for higher reps?

Session B
Squat 3x5x195
OH press 3x5x95
Power Clean 5x3x88
Pull ups 10x2xbodyweight

-Felt great today
-I think I learned to squat for real this week. I’ve been feeling some great glute activation and have been moving the bar quicker as a result. Not a bad thing.
-Finally found a grip that feel great for my shoulders while OH pressing
-Still look like a spaz when I attempt to clean, but I think I’m figuring it out.

I received a wonderful package from EliteFTS today. 1 mini band, 2 micro minis.

If anyone has any suggestions of some basic band/prehab exercises that I can do (without negatively effects on other training), I’d love to hear them.

Also, I’m going to try and get my little bro using some bands. He has a rare genetic disorder (prader willie syndrome)that comes with little muscle tone amoung other things.

The mother wanted me to get him started with some resistance training stuff, but he can’t do free weights. And I rather not see him on machines. Bands might be the ideal solution? Suggestions?

Squat 3x5x205
Bench 3x5x145
Dead 1x5x295
Pull Ups 10x2xbodyweight

Felt good. Again a good squatting day.

Can’t lift 3x next week, so I’ll be spending some time with my new toys (bands!) on monday or tuesday

[quote]boyscout wrote:

Also, I’m going to try and get my little bro using some bands. He has a rare genetic disorder… he can’t do free weights. And I rather not see him on machines. Bands might be the ideal solution? Suggestions?[/quote]

There’s one way to find out if the bands work. Assuming your brother is physically able to use the bands, and he’s not received a “no-go” from the doctor concerning resistance training, I think that bands would be an excellent idea for him.

I had to use bands exclusively for several months when I was first recovering from a leg crushing. I learned the immense value of bands - in many ways, they are superior to free weights.

Enjoy 'em and I hope your brother gets good use from them. Bands are very shoulder-intensive, so start with lower resistance and higher reps (12-20 rep range). The Altus Chest Expander is a decent piece of equipment, as well. Try googling “resistance band exercises” and see what you can get.

It’s possible to do curls, triceps extensions, seated rows, upright rows, rear delt pulls, chest press, and a whole slieu of exercises with bands.

[quote]TriednTrue wrote:
boyscout wrote:

Also, I’m going to try and get my little bro using some bands. He has a rare genetic disorder… he can’t do free weights. And I rather not see him on machines. Bands might be the ideal solution? Suggestions?

There’s one way to find out if the bands work. Assuming your brother is physically able to use the bands, and he’s not received a “no-go” from the doctor concerning resistance training, I think that bands would be an excellent idea for him.

I had to use bands exclusively for several months when I was first recovering from a leg crushing. I learned the immense value of bands - in many ways, they are superior to free weights.

Enjoy 'em and I hope your brother gets good use from them. Bands are very shoulder-intensive, so start with lower resistance and higher reps (12-20 rep range). The Altus Chest Expander is a decent piece of equipment, as well.

Try googling “resistance band exercises” and see what you can get. It’s possible to do curls, triceps extensions, seated rows, upright rows, rear delt pulls, chest press, and a whole slieu of exercises with bands.
[/quote]

Thanks! I had a training session today with bands, as my gym is closed for monday and I won’t be back in town until tuesday anyway.

What I did…

Lower:
Hip adduction 15 each side
TKEs 2x15 each leg
X band walks 10 steps each direction
big x band walks 10 steps each directions
Band good mornings 20 reps
I did a set of bodyweight squats between each sets of band stuff as well.

Then went to the playground, did 10x3 pull ups

Came back:
Band resisted push ups 4x6
“chest press” 2x15 each side (tied a band to the bar in my closet and punched against it basically
external rotations with a micro mini 2x15 each side
Band pull aparts 2x10
tri press downs (hooked band over my shower curtain rod of all things)
curls

I’m sweating. seemed okay, but it was basically I bunch of prehab stuff, although I’m sure I’ll be sore tomorrow.

As far as with the little bro:
I’m planning on having him use a micro mini and doing some bent rows (band under the feet) and some pressing. I also want to teach him to do some body weight squats and some ab work. He has some crazy kyphosis, so I need to do some research on working to correct that.

Squat 3x5x210
Bench 3x5x150
Dead 1x5x315

Ran a mile and did some mobility work today. Also:
Pull ups 10x3xbodyweight