Boyscout's Log

Because why not!

Started three weeks ago doing Rippetoes begginner program. Here’s what it looked like then:
(sets x reps x weight)

Session A:
Squat 3x5x185
Bench 3x5x 125 (sad story, I know)
Deadlift 1x5x275
Dips 2x8xbodyweight

Session B:
Squat 3x5x185
OH press 1x5x75, 1x5x80, 1x5x85
Bent Row 1x5x95, 1x5x105, 1x5x115
Chins 2x8xbodyweight

I realize that the point is not to ramp up weights per set. I was still feeling it out.

Current week to come… Feel free to post and make fun of my puny ass weights.

This week:
Sunday: Session A
Squat 3x5x210
Bench 3x5x140
Deadlift 1x5x295
Dips 2x10xbodyweight

Tuesday: Session B
Squat 3x5x215
OH Press 3x5x95*
Bent Row 3x5x125
Chins 2x8xbodyweight**

Thursday: Session A
Squat 3x5x220
Bench 3x5x145
Deadlift 1x5x315
Dips 2x11xbodyweight

*weird pressure type feeling in my shoulders during this. I think I need to focus more on keeping my scaps pulled back and upper back more tight…
**can’t seem to improve on chins. If I add a rep, I drop reps on the subsequent sets. I probably just need to drop down to lower reps and work from a dead hang more. I think I’m cheating right now.

NOTES: Nothing will include warm up sets on here, just work sets. I do warm up, no worries. Generally do either some drills from: http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1778726 or the mobility complex found here: http://www.T-Nation.com/article/performance_training/the_mobility_complex&cr=performanceTraining
Then ramp up weight until I reach my working weight.

Diet to come…

Daily diet, let me preface this by saying that I’m more concerned with getting stronger at this point.

4/3/2 plate dead/squat/bench is the goal.

Current Stats
Weight: right around 200, depends on the day
Years training: 1.5 (I should be further along in my lifts, but apparently I’m still figuring shit out)
BF: ??? 15-20 probably. beats me.

Daily Diet:
Meal 1:
4 eggs
steamed broccoli
1 piece of fruit

Meal 2: pre/post training
pre: 1 scp whey, 1 banana

Meal 3: 1 hour post training
6-8oz. protein source (fish, chicken, beef, whatever I feel like that day)
Green beans or other veggie
1-2 pieces of fruit

Meal 4:
1/2C mixed nuts (no peanuts)

Meal 5:
Same as three… tonight was:
6oz. lean ground beef, green beans, 1 apple

Meal 6:
4oz. Cheese or 1/2C mixed nuts
Some natural peanut butter or something, if I feel like it.

Non-training days look the same, sans pre/post work out, replace it with a meal similar to 4 or 6, or with a shake (2scp whey, 1 tbsp olive oil)

I’ve been snacking on a Table spoon on natural PB with some meals as well. I go largely by what I feel like. I’m well aware I am not getting 1g/pound of body weight. I am, however, recovering, getting stronger and feel great. If I’m hungry I eat more.

Sleep seems to be the only problem at the moment.

Good to see another bro on Starting Strength.

Keep it up!

[quote]bigdawg011 wrote:

Keep it up![/quote]

Thanks!

I hit the gym last night again for some raquetball and pull ups with the girlfriend. Cardio or something today get my blood moving.

Bodyweight circuit and some incline walking today:

Chins x3 (from a dead hang)
rest 20-30sec
10 prisoner squats (should have done more)
rest 20-30
10 push ups

Repeat 8 times.

Then 20 minutes on the treadmill incline 11, speed 3.

Session B:

Squat 3x5x225
OH press 3x5x100
Bent Row 3x5x130
Chins (hammer grip, full extension to dead hang) 2x5 (ouch)

Felt pretty good. I think this program is starting to beat the shit out me, but results are happening.

[quote]bigdawg011 wrote:

Keep it up![/quote]

Why would you say that? I thought everyone was doing SS :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m jealous of your numbers, lol. But I’m a weak fat-ass, so I’ve a long way to go. Keep it up, man!!

[quote]darwin420 wrote:
But I’m a weak fat-ass, so I’ve a long way to go. Keep it up, man!![/quote]

Yeah, but not for much longer.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
bigdawg011 wrote:

Keep it up!

Why would you say that? I thought everyone was doing SS ;P[/quote]

That’s okay, I can see what it’s popular: wicked effective.

Chili Day:
1 lbs ground turkey (browned up)
1 big can diced tomatoes
1 jar salsa
1 can red beans
1 can black beans
1 (small) can mushrooms
1 can diced water chesnuts
bit of worchester(sp?) sauce
some hot sauce
chili powder, cumin, garlic salt, pepper to taste

Brown meat. then put everything together in a big pot. cook for a while. enjoy.

No time to cook later, so I gotta do it now. I have meals for the next three days in the works right now. Also slow cooking a large chunk of beef with some broccoli, other veggies, and garlic.

ON-TOPIC:

I’m going to give that Chili recipe a try. It looks good!

OFF-TOPIC:

darwin420 wrote:
But I’m a weak fat-ass, so I’ve a long way to go. Keep it up, man!!

Yeah, but not for much longer.[/quote]

In that, you are correct, sir!

I get my ground turkey at Costco. Good stuff. Also makes good hamburgers. I have to add egg and crushed crackers so it sticks together. Lots of protein, very little fat, decent taste.

I get my ground turkey at Costco. Good stuff. Also makes good hamburgers. I have to add egg and crushed crackers so it sticks together. Lots of protein, very little fat, decent taste.[/quote]

I’ve never been a huge fan of hamburgers with it. If I have just ground turkey as a protein source, I’ll just fry it up, then portion it out (6-8oz portions). I generally just put some hot sauce on there and eat up.

I haven’t made chili for a month or so, so I’m pumped to actually eat it later.

Oh, I understand. It doesn’t taste like a true hamburger. I usually mask the taste with cheese, Miracle Whip, and a dab of Sweet Baby Ray’s.

Bodyweight circuit for cardio purposes:
Pull up for three
rest some
12 bodyweight prisoner squats
rest some
12 push ups
rest some, repeat 6 times.

after which I did 4x3xbody pull ups and the mobility complex. Frisbee later, maybe.

Session A

Squat 3x5x230
Bench 3x5x150
Dead 1x5x305
Dips 2x12xbody

Dips were hard, the last few were super slow. Squating was hard today too. 230 felt very heavy by the last set, almost didn’t make the last rep. I might stay at the same weight for next session.

Todays work out: postponed until tomorrow. I’m going to go do some cardio crap and some pull ups right now, though.

EDIT: did 10x3 pull up from a dead hang, then attempted to learn how powercleans work. I’m sure I looked like a spaz, but it didn’t feel too awkward. I’ll be trying to put some power cleans in in place of the BB rows today.

Session B:

Squat 3x5x230 (went slow on those last few reps)
OH Press 2x5x105, 1x4x105 (dammit)
Power Clean! 2x3x40kg(+10lbs), 3x3x40(+15lbs)
Chins, hammer grip 2x6xbodyweight

I’m fairly certain I look like a spaz on power cleans. I feel like a dickass attempting them, but I can’t get better without doing the things. Maybe I was more self conscious today because there was a guy a few platforms down cleaning 100+kgs from the floor.

Anyway, some progress, some falling behind. I’m disappointed I didn’t get my reps for the press. I probably should have upped the weight on the squat. I think my body is off this week.

Need advice: Reset, drop the weights 10-15% and start progressing upwards again? OR push through it and see what happens?

My vote goes for pushing through everything, and keeping on going from here. I think I need to adjust my food intake upward and get some more sleep time.

One more week of undergraduate finals, then they’re going to give me a bachelor of music degree. I don’t really think I’ve done anything to deserve a degree–I go to school for playing my guitar for chrissake.

Session A:

Squat
2x5x235, 1x4x235 (got the last rep, but the spotter touched me, not counting it)

Bench
1x5x155
1x4x155
1x5x145
Disappointing.

Deadlift
1x5x315
First time pulling this without straps. Felt good.

Dips 2x12xbodyweight

I’m going to reset with some lower weights and try again. My body seems to be fighting the bench press.