Boys Need More Football, Less Soccer

[quote]pushharder wrote:
ā€¦and I think the Noles will crush the Tigers this yearā€¦[/quote]

lol. go back to the 90ā€™s.

[quote]FlavaDave wrote:
pushharder wrote:
t-sama wrote:
Non-scientific observations of a father with four sons (8 - 15). My boys all started with soccer and switched to football, so I have experience with both.

It all comes down to what you view the purpose of youth sports to be.

Soccer, at non-elite levels (i.e., they take anyone), especially co-ed soccer, is used to get uncoordinated fat kids off the couch and moving. It is not used to build character or engender the love of competition.

The mantra we heard over and over is ā€œeveryone is a winnerā€ - until I was ready to hurt someone. Practices were easy. The good kids werenā€™t rewarded for effort or skill. It was sickening to me, since life surely isnā€™t that way. The kids surely know this and they keep score, even though they arenā€™t supposed to.

Football at the non-elite level is the complete opposite. Our leagues are all about character, competition and understanding that maybe, just maybe, when you suck, you might have some responsibility for it.

Practices are run with discipline. They call the coaches ā€œsirā€. The whole team does push-ups when one member screws ups. If you donā€™t do your homework, you watch practice from the sidelines. Young boys eat this stuff up - at least mine do. Itā€™s night and day from soccer at the same level.

Plus, thereā€™s something about hearing a bunch of eight year olds on defense pounding their thigh pads and chanting - ā€œWho will protect this house? I will! I will!ā€

Iā€™m sure ā€œtravelā€ or competitive soccer is similar, but at the rec league level it was an example of everything I donā€™t want my kids to beā€¦ coddled, entitled and non-competitive.

I like this post.

Why? It was a stupid emotional appeal.

edit- nevermind. answered my own question.[/quote]

I love this post - I think that is the whole issue. I know pee-wee soccer is designed to herd cats but it seems to me that good coaches and parents enforce nonparticipation for lack of preparation, instruction for lack of understanding, and consequences for lack of execution.

Granted there are those that take thigns too far but I knew when I started playing football at 8 years old if you jumped off sides you duck walked around the infield. Do that a few times and you stop jumping off side. I love the no homework - no practice.

Btw, Russia v. Spain on ESPN2. Viva la Espana loca.

[quote]flyboy51v wrote:

I canā€™t remember a single instance in probably 12 years playing organized soccer where I had the slightest fear in any situation? Honestly. Maybe I never played the game right?

But Iā€™ve never observed any soccer player in any situation where I winced ā€¦ you know? I canā€™t count the number of plays ive observed in football where you watch it and think to yourself that someoneā€™s not getting up after that ā€¦
[/quote]

Ever paid attention to the keepers? It gets pretty brutal at times.

I havenā€™t and wonā€™t read this entire thread, as it gets re-done about every 6 months. Hereā€™s the dealā€¦you wanna have a life, or live your kidā€™s life for him?

My kids have a friend whose parents take him to soccer this and baseball thatā€¦the kid comes over to my house to hang out with my kids after his marathon day of ā€˜doing sportsā€™ā€¦the dad sees me and my wife sitting on our deck drinking wine and eating steak and basically having a great fucking timeā€¦he starts to say how he wishes he had time to relax like this, but heā€™s gotta run his kid all overā€¦blah, blah blahā€¦

I play soccer, football, baseball, murderball, whatever the fuck ball I feel like playing with my kids in my yard and donā€™t fuck around anymore with the retards I coached for 5 years when my kids were doing ā€˜organizedā€™ soccer and baseball and basketball. My kids can beat the shit out of the superstar that comes over whose dad wishes he didnā€™t have to run him all over.

Talk about the pussification of boys? Talk about the pussification of men that need to verify their men by having their kids ā€˜playā€™ sports.

[quote]Robert P. wrote:
Actually , if I rememeber correctly, soccer is one of, if not the sport, where the most injuries occur.
[/quote]

Youā€™re remembering incorrectly. Cheerleading is the sport with the most injuries.

You have a point (and the best sense of humor), I spend most Saturday afternoons driving their ungrateful asses from game to game. My wife does tell that I am not really a pussy and I am allowed to have fun every once in a while on Saturday night!

Iā€™m not sure whether Iā€™m living the kidā€™s life or using him to verify my manhood, but when my 7 year old plays the entire game on both sides of the ball and gets a stupid 50 cent bracelet that says ā€œCourageā€ for being defensive player of the gameā€¦ I canā€™t say I much care. I meanā€¦ why the hell else did I have kids?

[quote]sen say wrote:
I havenā€™t and wonā€™t read this entire thread, as it gets re-done about every 6 months. Hereā€™s the dealā€¦you wanna have a life, or live your kidā€™s life for him?

My kids have a friend whose parents take him to soccer this and baseball thatā€¦the kid comes over to my house to hang out with my kids after his marathon day of ā€˜doing sportsā€™ā€¦

The dad sees me and my wife sitting on our deck drinking wine and eating steak and basically having a great fucking timeā€¦he starts to say how he wishes he had time to relax like this, but heā€™s gotta run his kid all overā€¦blah, blah blahā€¦

I play soccer, football, baseball, murderball, whatever the fuck ball I feel like playing with my kids in my yard and donā€™t fuck around anymore with the retards I coached for 5 years when my kids were doing ā€˜organizedā€™ soccer and baseball and basketball. My kids can beat the shit out of the superstar that comes over whose dad wishes he didnā€™t have to run him all over.

Talk about the pussification of boys? Talk about the pussification of men that need to verify their men by having their kids ā€˜playā€™ sports.

[/quote]

[quote]t-sama wrote:
You have a point (and the best sense of humor), I spend most Saturday afternoons driving their ungrateful asses from game to game. My wife does tell that I am not really a pussy and I am allowed to have fun every once in a while on Saturday night!

Iā€™m not sure whether Iā€™m living the kidā€™s life or using him to verify my manhood, but when my 7 year old plays the entire game on both sides of the ball and gets a stupid 50 cent bracelet that says ā€œCourageā€ for being defensive player of the gameā€¦ I canā€™t say I much care. I meanā€¦ why the hell else did I have kids?
[/quote]

No disrespect intended for the dads that are still big time involved with their kids and sportsā€¦

At one point in time, I coached 2 soccer teams (it would have been 3, but I had my middle son ā€˜play upā€™). I spent all fucking practice dealing with the retards whose single mothers had dropped them and run off to fuck up their lives some more (I always imagined) and didnā€™t get to spend any time with my own kids. My kids did nothing but complain about having to playā€¦5 years running pretty muchā€¦

I know the thread is about football vs. soccer, but the retards I saw playing football in my area where twice as bad as the soccer players and all that ā€˜disciplineā€™ made my kids think football was for the biggest morons on the planet.

Itā€™s a tough call, because you want your kid to kick ass and be an athlete. My oldest son was one of 4 - 7th graders to make his 18 player middle school soccer team. I was darn proud and patted myself on the back for coaching him all those years. He ended up hating the team and the coachā€¦I donā€™t know if heā€™s even going to try out next yearā€¦

Anywayā€¦this fall I have to decide whether to dive back in and coach as I donā€™t want to stiff my other 2 kids out of my coaching expertiseā€¦problem is, they donā€™t really like it.

I played soccer and switched to football in High School where I played linebacker and tight end and we won the Maryland state championship my senior year.

I enjoyed playing, but Iā€™m 5ā€™8 and weighed 175 at the timeā€¦I didnā€™t have much of a futureā€¦I wonder if I wouldā€™ve had more fun and gained better wisdom doing something elseā€¦or maybe spending more time studying academicsā€¦itā€™s funnyā€¦I donā€™t want my kids to miss out on playing ball, but I wonder what i missed out on by playing ball and my kids donā€™t really want to playā€¦

I just basically want my kids to be happy. I think the best way to do that is to show them how to be happy. For me, that doesnā€™t involved driving them around to all kinds of dopey games and practices.

One last rant pointā€¦my kids probably arenā€™t going to crack 6 feet in height. Theyā€™re probably not going to be bigger than kids their age. Theyā€™re probably not going to be faster, etcā€¦butā€¦they are much smarter than other kids (this is due to them getting She Sayā€™s brains mainly)ā€¦soā€¦why do I want to encourage them to do something theyā€™re going to be ā€˜not the best atā€™ā€¦know what I mean ?

Theyā€™re all competitive and have a ā€˜killer instinctā€™ and hustle their asses off, but theyā€™re never going to play college ball in any sportā€¦and chances are 99% of your kids wonā€™t eitherā€¦that settles itā€¦Iā€™m sending them to science and math camp and throwing away the shin pads.

I forgive you for calling me a pussy and my boys morons only because we are from Maryland and everyone from Maryland is either a pussy or a moron, right?

Itā€™s funnyā€¦ in all our sports the moms are much bigger sideline asshats than the dads, especially football. Lacrosse (where six year olds are evaluated and put on A, B or god forbid C teams) is the exception - everyone on the sideline is an expert and former D1 starter who knows far more than the coaches and the refs.

[quote]sen say wrote:
t-sama wrote:

No disrespect intended for the dads that are still big time involved with their kids and sportsā€¦

At one point in time, I coached 2 soccer teams (it would have been 3, but I had my middle son ā€˜play upā€™).

I spent all fucking practice dealing with the retards whose single mothers had dropped them and run off to fuck up their lives some more (I always imagined) and didnā€™t get to spend any time with my own kids. My kids did nothing but complain about having to playā€¦5 years running pretty muchā€¦

I know the thread is about football vs. soccer, but the retards I saw playing football in my area where twice as bad as the soccer players and all that ā€˜disciplineā€™ made my kids think football was for the biggest morons on the planet.

Itā€™s a tough call, because you want your kid to kick ass and be an athlete. My oldest son was one of 4 - 7th graders to make this 18 player middle school soccer team. I was darn proud and patted myself on the back for coaching him all those years. He ended up hating the team and the coachā€¦I donā€™t know if heā€™s even going to try out next yearā€¦

Anywayā€¦this fall I have to decide whether to dive back in and coach as I donā€™t want to stiff my other 2 kids out of my coaching expertiseā€¦problem is, they donā€™t really like it.

I played soccer and switched to football in High School where I played linebacker and tight end and we won the Maryland state championship my senior year.

I enjoyed playing, but Iā€™m 5ā€™8 and weighed 175 at the timeā€¦I didnā€™t have much of a futureā€¦I wonder if I wouldā€™ve had more fun and gained better wisdom doing something elseā€¦or maybe spending more time studying academicsā€¦itā€™s funnyā€¦I donā€™t want my kids to miss out on playing ball, but I wonder what i missed out on by playing ball and my kids donā€™t really want to playā€¦[/quote]

[quote]t-sama wrote:
I forgive you for calling me a pussy and my boys morons only because we are from Maryland and everyone from Maryland is either a pussy or a moron, right?

Itā€™s funnyā€¦ in all our sports the moms are much bigger sideline asshats than the dads, especially football. Lacrosse (where six year olds are evaluated and put on A, B or god forbid C teams) is the exception - everyone on the sideline is an expert and former D1 starter who knows far more than the coaches and the refs.
[/quote]

Cā€™monā€¦I called you a pussy and your boys morons out of loveā€¦

Lacrosse parents are THE biggest asshats in the stateā€¦them and wrestlersā€¦of course theyā€™re one and the sameā€¦what do you expect from ignorant, white people searching frantically for a sport blacks donā€™t play?

We played lacrosse one season. Before this experience, I swore I wouldnā€™t let my kids quit a sport. After my son was benched for 2 games for missing one of the 2 weekly practices (when he was 8 fucking years old), I let him quit. I figured it was for the best as I wouldā€™ve killed the fucking coach if i had to watch him taking cell phone calls and smoking on the field during ā€˜practiceā€™ā€¦

By and large, the American youth-leagues for soccer suck. There ARE kidā€™s soccer leagues that take the game as seriously as a kidā€™s football league does. Same deal with the training.

Deal with traveling soccer teams at the youth level. Those kids are as serious about their sport as an American Football player is at the same level.

Oh, and the whole soccer mom ā€˜Iā€™ll protect my baby from the mean refs and bigger kidsā€™ idea is almost an exclusively American youth-league soccer thing. I was amazed at how physical and intense the 13 year old soccer players I watched play in Edinburgh and London were.

The youth play in America is akin to kids sharing flowers with each other, whereas play at that same level in Europe is basically hands-free rugby. I am not exaggerating here.

Face it brahā€¦ your kid is a pussy! Not that there is anything wrong with that, of course. After my boy laid this kid out, he jumped up and said ā€œThatā€™s what Iā€™m talking aboutā€. Fortunately, the ref didnā€™t hear and throw him out of the game.

I thought it was funny, but my wife told me it wasnā€™tā€¦ I told him never do it again (after the fist-pound, of course).

[quote]sen say wrote:
t-sama wrote:

Cā€™monā€¦I called you a pussy and your boys morons out of loveā€¦

Lacrosse parents are THE biggest asshats in the stateā€¦them and wrestlersā€¦of course theyā€™re one and the sameā€¦what do you expect from ignorant, white people searching frantically for a sport blacks donā€™t play?

We played lacrosse one season. Before this experience, I swore I wouldnā€™t let my kids quit a sport. After my son was benched for 2 games for missing one of the 2 weekly practices (when he was 8 fucking years old), I let him quit. I figured it was for the best as I wouldā€™ve killed the fucking coach if i had to watch him taking cell phone calls and smoking on the field during ā€˜practiceā€™ā€¦[/quote]

[quote]t-sama wrote:
Face it brahā€¦ your kid is a pussy!

[/quote]

At the risk of not getting to see your wife in her underwear againā€¦I just wanna sayā€¦omgā€¦come play a sport where mandingoes are allowed to roam free and run wildā€¦denā€¦and only den will you see Sen Say jr, Sen Say III and Sen Say IV busting heads AND She Say NOT talkinā€™ bout, ā€˜ohā€¦itā€™s soooo wrongā€¦ā€™

ENOUGH ! We need more rum !!

This post is really bad

who gives a shit what sports kids play in as long as it keeps them in good health

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
I think we need less organization in our sports.

Isnā€™t this a contradiction? The mere idea that there exists a sport means that people were organized enough to agree on a set of rules?

Not to beat a dead horse but sports federations are a great example of anarchic organization.

It is not a contradiction. Things have increments and need not be measured in absolutes. We can have less organization in sports while still playing sports. Sandlot football is less organized than high school football.[/quote]

I agree completely.

I stopped playing organized basketball in primary school because my coach managed to completely sap the fun out of the game. Instead of just letting us play he would constantly lecture us about tactics and how to setup a zone defense etc.

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:
I agree completely.

I stopped playing organized basketball in primary school because my coach managed to completely sap the fun out of the game. Instead of just letting us play he would constantly lecture us about tactics and how to setup a zone defense etc.
[/quote]

lol. I donā€™t play pickup because I think it sucks not having a real strategy, plays, defense, etc.

[quote]t-sama wrote:

Soccer, at non-elite levels (i.e., they take anyone), especially co-ed soccer, is used to get uncoordinated fat kids off the couch and moving. It is not used to build character or engender the love of competition.[/quote]

Sports donā€™t build character. Self-disciplined kids come into sports programs with discipline. And they leave with discipline. Same with the assholes, quitter, sociopaths, etc.

And what exactly is non-elite? My stepson plays in a competitive soccer league. Hate to break it to you but there arenā€™t any fat asses on the soccer field.

There a ton of fatasses playing football and baseball. And the soccer kids run their guts out, 5 days a week. They strength train. They do push ups when they screw up and they get yelled at just like in every other sport.

[quote]FlavaDave wrote:
Regular Gonzalez wrote:
I agree completely.

lol. I donā€™t play pickup because I think it sucks not having a real strategy, plays, defense, etc.[/quote]

Did you think the same way as a kid?