Boys and Anorexia

Saw this:
Boys dying to be thin: the new face of anorexia

Then saw this from one of the mother’s:
â??He didnâ??t want to be skinny,â?? Barry said of TJ, who was a star athlete and straight-A student. â??He wanted a six pack, he wanted rock hard abs. Thatâ??s how it all started.â??

But then saw this (granted not in as large or prominent a place as the quote above) from Dr/expert:
“While boys who participate in sports such as wrestling or track may be more likely to want to lose weight, Lock warned that the desire to enhance athletic performance should not be confused with anorexia. Athletic pressure may increase the motivation to lose weight, he said, but not every elite athlete has an eating disorder.”

This hits home for me cause I am watching a good friend die of this. This is our convo earlier today. I edited names for privacy. This makes me so sad.

Just to give you some background she has been in a hospital/rehab for this etc. She has to get labs done to monitor that she has enough food for her body to run basic functions.

We were talking about her continued purging.

ME: i am scared for you
you need to try and get better

9:21am
HER: I don’t want to try anymore. i quit my therapist back in the summer cuz even she saw I wasn’t making any progress anymore.
Stats show not everyone recovers from these.
But don’t worry dirtbag.
I gotta go get my labs done. have a good one!

[quote]dirtbag wrote:
This hits home for me cause I am watching a good friend die of this. This is our convo earlier today. I edited names for privacy. This makes me so sad.

Just to give you some background she has been in a hospital/rehab for this etc. She has to get labs done to monitor that she has enough food for her body to run basic functions.

We were talking about her continued purging.

ME: i am scared for you
you need to try and get better

9:21am
HER: I don’t want to try anymore. i quit my therapist back in the summer cuz even she saw I wasn’t making any progress anymore.
Stats show not everyone recovers from these.
But don’t worry dirtbag.
I gotta go get my labs done. have a good one![/quote]

That sucks. I am sorry for you and for her.

Wrestling in high school was fun. My freshman year was the first year the district approved the sport. Running bleachers in trash bags and cutting weight really threw people for a loop.

One kid actually did become anorexic though. Making weight was very important, regarding forfeiture and all. He was trying to compete a couple classes down and missed a few times.

He went through the “gauntlet” and caught a lot of flack each time, says the pressure drove him to anorexia.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
Wrestling in high school was fun. My freshman year was the first year the district approved the sport. Running bleachers in trash bags and cutting weight really threw people for a loop.

One kid actually did become anorexic though. Making weight was very important, regarding forfeiture and all. He was trying to compete a couple classes down and missed a few times.

He went through the “gauntlet” and caught a lot of flack each time, says the pressure drove him to anorexia.[/quote]

…Hmmm. I don’t buy it.

?He didn?t want to be skinny,? Barry said of TJ, who was a star athlete and straight-A student. ?He wanted a six pack, he wanted rock hard abs. That?s how it all started.?

somehow i doubt that.