Boyfriend on TRT 9 Mnths, Has to Stop. Not Sure How to Help Him?

Good Morning. I’m new here and posting because I’m not sure how to help my boyfriend of 4 years.

He was diagnosed at the end of summer with Low T. He was put on injections and his levels have gone from 150 to 800 in almost 9 months. He told me he has to stop his treatment as he can no longer afford the $300/month and it is stressing him out.

Does anyone have any advice?

He has insurance so the $300/month is after insurance does their part.

Self-injected testosterone is least cost and he can use #29 1/2" 0.5ml insulin syringes, injecting SC/SQ, not IM.

From what you have stated, sounds like he is using a T-gel.

Where are you located? This affects diagnostic and treatment options.

TRT shuts down his HPTA and LH/FSH–>zero that typically leads to smaller softer testes and fertility is a risk. That can be counteracted by injecting hCG, which costs more than T, or taking a low dose SERM, which is low cost, but not a natural human hormone.

It would be useful if he was here and posted his pre-TRT labwork and more info. Also describing what form of TRT, doses and timing.

We often see thyroid function issues with young and older guys who come here with low-T. Please see the last paragraph in this post, might also apply to you.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category - #2 by KSman

• advice for new guys
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

I was just looking over the stickies, thank you for your reply. I realize it would be easier if he were here and wanted to discuss it. He’s a pretty private guy so I don’t see that happening although I am going to mention this forum. We are in southwest Ohio. As for fertility, he is 40 and had a vasectomy well over a decade ago. We both have our own children so we’re good there.

He takes three injections (I’m not sure of schedule, it is a lot to remember) testosterone, hcg, and anastrozole.

He was going to a clinic that specializes in Low T and the injections are all mailed to him but I’m wondering if going to his GP is going to cost less.

A few GP’s are open minded, but many are not. If GP would Rx those items, that would save a lot of money. You still need a doc involved and need to get lab work done.

You can probably do your own labs there. Pay on-line then go to a blood draw location. That would be out-of-pocket expense, but may be a savings. LEF.com has lab work on sale now: products | blood tests …

I can often do better lab work analysis than most docs so this site can be useful for on-going support.

T+hCG+AI is the gold standard.

Suggest:
50mg T cyp twice a week
0.5mg anastrozole at time of T injections, adjusted to get near E2=22pg/ml
250iu hCG SC/SQ EOD

You have been a great help and thi is all so informative. Thank you so much!

By the way, what happened to GF 12? :smirk:

1 Like

Hahaha, it’s best I don’t tell you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

My FSA/HRA card pays for my Private MD labwork as long as I provide them with the proper supporting documetation.

With his insurance, he was paying a $54 copay each blood draw at the lab then the lab sent a $189 bill. I’m still not sure wth that is about. Either his insurance plan really sucks or they aren’t coding right or something. I mean it’s Anthem so you’d think the cost wouldn’t be so high. Then again I don’t know enough about his plan. Ugh.

but if he wants to stop he will be low test again with alot of bad symptons…he will feel like shit again ! its better to pay to live like this anymore ?

That’s what I said. He lived it and he knows what is going to happen. I guess he just feels like his back is against a wall and I’m hoping that I can convince him to explore going to a GP and hopefully it won’t be as crazy expensive.

Why is it so damn expensive? It’s not like men do anything to purposefully make their body stop producing testosterone! It just freaking happens and it sucks and I’m so frustrated that it happens. Ugh!

Injected T is cheap, so is anastrozole or [clomid|nolvadex]. You can do your own labs on-line in most USA states. All you need is a cooperative doctor [rare] who will write paper Rx scripts; and we can be best guide re labs and lab results.

Curious on the Gold Standard comment as relates to the hcg. The poster commented that her boyfriend got a vasectomy, so I wouldn’t think that hcg is very relevant in regards to preserving teste function.

Easy. Guys who have a vasectomy typically do not want tiny balls pulled up tight or the ache that some get. And wives/GFs often have a preference and may be the first to point out a problem.

Maintaining some testicular function maintains some production of pregnenolone, T and some other testicular hormones. Many find hCG introduction provides a good improvement in mood, suggesting a direct effect on the brain that is not understood.

I’m not even sure I’d notice if his testes shrank, I don’t normally pay that close of attention.

I haven’t asked about what his plans are since I posted this – he said himself he was going to see a local GP but I haven’t heard yet if he’s called for an appt. So far the only thing that has changed since he stopped his injections is he’s sleeping a lot more and harder to get up and get moving. He works graveyard shift so that doesn’t help.

You’re boyfriend is paying way too much. Treatment costs 75-100 per month for T, HCG and an AI. T clinics usually just want your money and have no interest in your well being.I started with one of those clinics and ran from them once I was educated in TRT. PM me if you would like more information where to look.

Hey there, not sure if you will get this due to the post being a few months old. I currently am a client at a local Low T center and I feel like I am paying way to much for my TRT and I cant even get them to prescribe me an AI, I am currently just on Test C without an AI or HCG. You had mentioned treatment costs of 75-100 for the 3, where might I look to find something in this range? Also, the weekly trip to the clinic for my injection is really starting to become annoying, Ha… Any info would be greatly appriciated!!

Hello,
Yes those t clinics are not in your best interests. I was a client too and quickly realized that I could do better.
I went with Defy medical based out of Florida. Mind you, I am in California.
Defy cost after initial consultation and physical is around 300.00 for 3-4 months worth of meds including Test cyp, HCG and AI. Depending din on your dosage this may vary. Typically it comes out to around 85.00 a month.
You will need to do a complete blood work panel. Good place is discountedlabs.com. Do the trt panel.
Mind you, it will take time to dial in your protocol.
Visit Excelmale.com trt sub forum for endless information.
I’m not affiliated with any of these places mentioned thus why I asked you to PM me.
Let me know if you need more help.
It’s great when you have it dialed in!

Thanks,
Rick

Thank you for your quick response. Yeah i need to find another option. The only reason I have been sticking it out with low T center is the fact that my insurance covers it and I only pay 5 bucks a week. Now that I have better educated myself on trt therapy, I realize that just being on the test alone, is not good and eventually will cause its own set of problems.
Thanks again for your info
Jeff

No worries. Just an FYI. Twice a week shots are the best way to go to avoid spikes. Also, don’t rush on the AI unless you need it.
Let me know I you have any questions and I’ll be happy to help.
Thanks,
Rick