T Nation

Boycott Citgo

http://eyeopener.blogs.cnnmoney.com/
This article hits it on the head, thinks I.

I have already boycotted Citgo for years because Chavez is an asshole. Of course this message is for Americans who like America. Those of you who hate US, buy the shit out of Citgo gas.

Anyhow, I thought this might be a refreshing change from bashing each other. Of course it’ll end up that way, but what the hell, it’s always fun right?

[quote]pat36 wrote:
This article hits it on the head, thinks I. [/quote]

This article? What article? All I saw was a less than mediocre blog.

Last I checked, the guy was giving oil at 40% discount for low-income people in philadelphia.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1157172,00.html

After Katrina, he offered two mobile hospital units, 120 rescue and first aid experts, 50 tonnes of food, 10 water purification plants, 18 power generation plants and 20 tonnes of bottled water for the afflicted.

[quote]lixy wrote:
pat36 wrote:

I have already boycotted Citgo for years because Chavez is an asshole. Of course this message is for Americans who like America. Those of you who hate US, buy the shit out of Citgo gas.

Last I checked, the guy was giving oil at 40% discount for low-income people in philadelphia.

After Katrina, he offered two mobile hospital units, 120 rescue and first aid experts, 50 tonnes of food, 10 water purification plants, 18 power generation plants and 20 tonnes of bottled water for the afflicted.[/quote]

Wooptie do, Chavez offered aid during Katrina. Very little by standards. Between us and the World Bank (which is still us) we gave Venezuela 175 Million bucks and aided in search and rescue operations during the 1999 floods in December. Something I actually have first hand knowledge of since I was there stranded in Venezuela during the calamity right there in the middle of Caracas.

Do you really want to get into a pissing contest with who is more generous, the U.S. or Venezuela?
You like Chavez because he hates America. He hated America before Bush. He wants to make Venezuela like the “happy people of Cuba”, poor and starving (something I also have first hand knowledge of). The man is an animal, murderer. While the U.S. didn’t try to oust him (his own people were responsible for the attempted coup), it wouldn’t be a bad idea if he met with some untimely end.

I guess in the end if I wanted to stop supporting assholes all together I’d sell my car and walk. 27 miles (43.7 KM) to work is an awful long walk though.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Do you really want to get into a pissing contest with who is more generous, the U.S. or Venezuela?
[/quote]

Not that I want to get into this argument but what is the comparrison by GDP–that is the only realy way to get a sense of what is afforded v. what is actually given?

Chavez is super evil…?

[quote]lixy wrote:
pat36 wrote:

After Katrina, he offered two mobile hospital units, 120 rescue and first aid experts, 50 tonnes of food, 10 water purification plants, 18 power generation plants and 20 tonnes of bottled water for the afflicted.[/quote]

Oh my, so generous with other peoples money…

Hey, I would give all your income and that of your family to charity, I must be all kinds of holy…

[quote]pat36 wrote:
You like Chavez because he hates America. [/quote]

I liked Chavez because he showed us that there IS an alternative. I’m liking him less and less by the day though. He sure changed after the coup…

Pretty much all of the people of latin America hate the US for its past inteventionism in the region. But that’s another story.

Remind me again how is imposing an embargo on them helping them is any way?

I don’t know if you have evidence of him killing people or not, but I do know that his behavior changed after being cornered by the oligarchy-supporting opposition

I don’t know about that. The revolution wasn’t televised and there remains a huge contreversy regarding that. I’ll take the word of foreign reporters over Washington’s word anytime. By the way, how can you be so sure the US don’t have a hand in it. Unless you work in the oval office, you should reserve your judgement on that. Do you think Americans knew about the ousting of Mossadeq back in the 50s?

All the Venezuelans I know are fiercly attached to Chavez. But my circle of friends might be biased.

How’s buying oil from the Saudis helping? They are bigger assholes than Chavez on all levels. Plus, 15 of the 19 hijackers on 9/11 were Saudis.

27 miles is a long way. Get you some whey shakes for the road!

Best of luck,

[quote]lixy wrote:
pat36 wrote:
You like Chavez because he hates America.

I liked Chavez because he showed us that there IS an alternative. I’m liking him less and less by the day though. He sure changed after the coup…

He hated America before Bush.

Pretty much all of the people of latin America hate the US for its past inteventionism in the region. But that’s another story.
[/quote]

Uh no, My interactions with S. America people there love the U.S. So keep dreaming about the world hating us. Nobody likes Bush, but America is much bigger than Bush. He’ll be gone in less than 2 years anyway.

Opponents of his regime have mysteriously disappeared. Striking oil workers mysteriously disappear. He’s friends with Castro. Castro knows how to deal with opponents and so does Chavez. The embargo on Cuba, I do not agree with but that is another topic all together.

I didn’t know about the large Venezuelan contingent on Sweden, but Chavez is not a loved man in Venezuela save for the poor. There are a hell of a lot of poor there so he gives them hand outs in exchange for loyalty. Regular working stiffs and business owners hate him because he steals from them. Takes over their businesses and makes them state workers for less money. Most oppressive regimes are made on the backs of the poor.

[quote]
I guess in the end if I wanted to stop supporting assholes all together I’d sell my car and walk. 27 miles (43.7 KM) to work is an awful long walk though.

How’s buying oil from the Saudis helping? They are bigger assholes than Chavez on all levels. Plus, 15 of the 19 hijackers on 9/11 were Saudis.

27 miles is a long way. Get you some whey shakes for the road!

Best of luck,[/quote]

I have no love for the Saudi’s either, that was my point. But I hold Chavez in particular disdain because he hits closer to home.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Uh no, My interactions with S. America people there love the U.S. So keep dreaming about the world hating us. [/quote]

People being courteous doesn’t mean they don’t have issues with your foreign policy. I mean, you probably don’t like Hezbollah but are you gonna be rude to a Lebanese you meet? Also, you probaly didn’t care to have a discussion with people in favelas.

Well, that’s 2 years too many if you ask me.

I totally agree with you that he moved from an idealistic soft handed attitude to a tough guy stance after the coup. No denying that.

But disappearing people is hardly evidence. And that is what I asked for.

He’s friends with a great deal of latin American populist leaders. Castro just happens to be one of them.

Sure, but what are you DOING about it?

Ha! That is really a funny way of putting it. The poor are the majority around the world.

That’s more like it.

The prevailing belief out there puts the blame on economic policies of liberalism and the subsidiaries of the US treasurery (IMF, World Bank) for the ever-growing gap between the haves and the have-nots. Hence, the populist anti-US wave of elected presidents in the region.

Yeah, it’s a pity that CEO won’t afford his fifth private jet with gold-plated bathrooms.

True enough. What you fail to point out is that any kind of regime is made on the back of the poor. They’re the backbone!

Take my word for it. The Saudis are a LOT worse than Chavez.

“If you’re not with us, you’re with the terrorists…”
George W. Bitch.

“my word for it”

Noone takes your word for anything lixy, ok?

On topic, i got some interesting reading for you lixy, I hope you understand norwegian:

http://www.nyhetsblikket.no/utenriks/sr-amerika__en_potensiell_kruttnne/

(all you englishspeaking ones, let me know if you want a translation)

[quote]pat36 wrote:

Anyhow, I thought this might be a refreshing change from bashing each other. Of course it’ll end up that way, but what the hell, it’s always fun right?[/quote]

Free market is the way to go.

I’ll never buy from Shitgo again. Thanks for the heads up.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Not that I want to get into this argument but what is the comparrison by GDP–that is the only realy way to get a sense of what is afforded v. what is actually given?

Chavez is super evil…?[/quote]

% GDP doesn’t rebuild levees, heat homes, pump water, feed the hungry, or cure the sick.

The Venezuelan GDP is only a little over 1% of the US’. I’d rather take 1% of the US GDP than take 100% of Venezuela’s.

[quote]lucasa wrote:
% GDP doesn’t rebuild levees, heat homes, pump water, feed the hungry, or cure the sick.

The Venezuelan GDP is only a little over 1% of the US’. I’d rather take 1% of the US GDP than take 100% of Venezuela’s.[/quote]

Damn straight.

Boycotting a single outlet for a widely available and highly demanded commodity will have absolutely no effect other than inconveniencing yourself. Even if you and all your friends try to boycott Citgo, they will still have no problem finding buyers at the market price.

The same amount of petrol is being removed from the available pool and water flows downhill as they say. The only way you can actually have an impact on Venezuela is to reduce total oil consumption, but there are limits to what people will do in the name of nationalism.