Boxing & Strength Training at Same Time?

I’ve kinda decided to not be the big(compared to my friends, obviously)who cant fight.i was wondering if starting boxing and pursueing getting much stronger could be done at the same time,

Ive heard something about fighters actually gettign worse doing more weights,frankly being strong for some reason is more enjoyablefor me. but being able to handle myself in a fight would be nice too.
im 18,a bit late for boxing i know,and 225ish,hope to be about 215 by the end of my diet.basically diung powerlifting style trainign and boxing training,would it work out?

i’m sorry for not contributing at all to the thread but sick king crimson avatar!

A. Who cares if you can fight you’re an adult now, who gives a shit if you can fight/
B. How would anyone know if it will work out.
C. Many fighters lift weights, but if you really want to train like a serious powerlifter and box it would be kinf of dumb.
D. You are 18 lift a few days and box. You can get stronger only lifting a few days a week.

Well, you could work low reps in the squat/deadlift/benchpress/military press and still make some very impressive strength gains while boxing.

I’m having succes on 5/3/1 while boxing, I don’t see how it could be a problem.

confusing, 225 but what bf%?

if you’re gonna start boxing i recommend running, superset with more running

strength is relative to what you want to be strong with. big bench/lifts… weight training. big punch? hit the bag and perfect your technique. i would say pursue boxing and do weights twice a week if you have the energy. powerlifting is useful, olympic lifts have been most useful to me.

it depends on your recovery. you wont be comfortable boxing right away and your lats, shoulders, arms,abs and other muscles will be sore after a hard training session.

most importantly keep your diet in check and you’ll get cut up and stronger while boxing

Boxing isn’t really legs intensive, so I think it could work, from my limited experience.
During the holidays, I was at kung fu 4 days a week and in the gym for 5, and I was pretty much a ghost. I was constantly tired, constantly sore and just a piece of crap to be around basically.

I guess what I’m trying to say is: choose one, prioritise it, and then use the other as a supplement (for now in any case).

[quote]Toto wrote:
Boxing isn’t really legs intensive[/quote]

Are you serious? You may not see any boxers with word record squats, but boxing is very leg/full body intensive in terms of endurance. I lift 3 days a week and kickbox and grapple everyday except for Sunday and my power across the board has increased a ton. Scored a KO on a backpeddling jab, kinda like what A.Silva just did to Forrest Griffin. I do standard 5x5’s with the most useful, compound lifts. Oddly enough, my weight has been close to the same the whole time, thanks to my nutrition, but my BF% has decreased proportionately with my increases in the weight I lift. I say, lift as much as you can and box everyday.

[quote]FuriousFists wrote:
confusing, 225 but what bf%?

if you’re gonna start boxing i recommend running, superset with more running

strength is relative to what you want to be strong with. big bench/lifts… weight training. big punch? hit the bag and perfect your technique. i would say pursue boxing and do weights twice a week if you have the energy. powerlifting is useful, olympic lifts have been most useful to me.

it depends on your recovery. you wont be comfortable boxing right away and your lats, shoulders, arms,abs and other muscles will be sore after a hard training session.

most importantly keep your diet in check and you’ll get cut up and stronger while boxing[/quote]

Agreed

Pro boxers are already ver cut and have to maintain weight or cut weight, it can be very counter productive to try and gain strength while cutting 20 lbs for a fight. If your training to be big and learning how to box at the same time, you will be fine long as your getting enough calories to maintain your concentration and strenght gains.

[quote]Toto wrote:
Boxing isn’t really legs intensive, so I think it could work, from my limited experience.
During the holidays, I was at kung fu 4 days a week and in the gym for 5, and I was pretty much a ghost. I was constantly tired, constantly sore and just a piece of crap to be around basically.

I guess what I’m trying to say is: choose one, prioritise it, and then use the other as a supplement (for now in any case).[/quote]

yea i see what ur saying from experience also
I was on a national swim team
every weekday and sat was special day
2(at 4:45am) hour morning practice followed by 1 hour dryland
3 hour afternoon practice (30mmin after school) followed by 1 hour running
and i would lift by myself 3x times a week

what im trying to say is yea, you’ll feel like a piece of crap and be fatigued and tired, but should last for about the first two weeks of training then ur body slowly adjusts to it.

eat good, recover good,and be positive and motivate urself and you will be fine.

u doing boxing everday or weekdays and lifting 3 times a week will be no problem. The thing with starting a routine like this is you will be sore, shitty, fatigued and if u condition right and you will most prob throw up, this should be the first two weeks of training, after that your body responds and it is alot easier slwly until u start to increase loads( lifting and boxing)

Id suggest rehab work along with oly and/or low rep compound movements, upper lower and full body split with ur boxing

I box. I lift weights.

I’m getting better at boxing. I’m getting stronger.

It’s doable. Be patient and smart about it. Put in quality work in the gym, adjust as you need to, and you should be fine.

I box everyday and have done so for a while.

if you want strength gains for sport (especially boxing) then go get a copy of Infinite Intensity. I experienced good gains in explosive power and strength in every single movement of boxing following his program.

a simple google of boxing and Infinite intensity will bring up a huge collection reviews from fighters praising the infinite intensity system. follow it and you will get great results.

You do it 4 times a week, fridays off. one strength day is included in those four days and friday can become an additional strength day if you want it to be. doing something like 3x5, or SL 5x5 on that day would be fine. recover on the weekend.

lastly i’ll say this, i did Infinite Intensity while boxing everyday. its possible, as long as you do one session in the morning and one session in the afternoon. its a system designed for people that are actively training in a sport and is meant to run along side that.

that being said, infinite intensity is tough as hell. expect to be pushed. also if your doing both, get your diet and protein intake down to a T before even attempting to run boxing and this program side by side. otherwise you wont recover for either.

I box everyday and have done so for a while.

if you want strength gains for sport (especially boxing) then go get a copy of Infinite Intensity. I experienced good gains in explosive power and strength in every single movement of boxing following his program.

a simple google of boxing and Infinite intensity will bring up a huge collection reviews from fighters praising the infinite intensity system. follow it and you will get great results.

You do it 4 times a week, fridays off. one strength day is included in those four days and friday can become an additional strength day if you want it to be. doing something like 3x5, or SL 5x5 on that day would be fine. recover on the weekend.

lastly i’ll say this, i did Infinite Intensity while boxing everyday. its possible, as long as you do one session in the morning and one session in the afternoon. its a system designed for people that are actively training in a sport and is meant to run along side that.

that being said, infinite intensity is tough as hell. expect to be pushed. also if your doing both, get your diet and protein intake down to a T before even attempting to run boxing and this program side by side. otherwise you wont recover for either.

WTF is with the resurrecting of dead threads lately?

I myself am nowhere near to what one might call an expert in the field of martial arts and lifting, having only about 2 years of Thai Boxing and about 3-4 years of lifting done so far, but my piece of advice would be that you need to find out what works the best for you. In the terms of boxing, you can really push your recovery and all as long as you are not burning yourself out, because its very likely that you will still make gains in the terms of technique even if it might slow down your gains in the S&C department.

When it comes to lifting, you need to remember that you build most of your strength recovering. Therefore it might be actually more beneficial for you lifting less, because boxing and lifting is already pushing your recovery to the limits and if you increase the lifting from there on its more likely to actually slow down the process and eventually to burn you out.

Tracking your progress in boxing can be a bit more difficult, though if you feel like shit in every training and feel like you just ain’t making any progress then it seems like a pretty obvious of an indicator that you are overdoing your lifting or just otherwise pushing your recovery too much so you don’t have the energy to focus on your skill training.

Tracking your progress with the iron in the other hand, is very easy. Just pick up a notebook and write down the numbers every time you lift. Get a progressive program from the internet or just make one up by yourself, doesn’t have to be complicated, I try to add 5lbs to all upper body movements every week and 10lbs to all the lower body movements every week and I’ve been doing fine so far.

Don’t start too high and you will most likely get bigger and stronger and decrease the risk of injury. If you are really pushing it in the gym, having off week like once in a month or decreasing the weights a bit like every 3-6weeks might be a good idea, but yet again, you have to find out what works the best for you.

I myself like to lift twice a week, keeping both sessions very brief (about 30mins which includes the warm up) with about 4 main lifts (squats, deads, rows, upper body presses mostly), performed in supersets, and some core work with maybe occasionally throwing in some extra work for some certain muscle group that is lagging behind.

You say you’ve been doing power lifting kind of training so far, which is the way I like to do it too. In my opinion doing bodybuilding programs made for big roidpumped beasts will only exhaust the shit out of you and won’t let you make the most out of your skill training, not to mention its probably not going to make you perform any better in the ring if you are ever to have a fight.

Remember to keep on stretching after every session to keep yourself loose and flexible, cause I feel like one stiff piece of shit after every heavy lifting session unless I really put some focus on my stretching.

Get your goals set and your nutrition and recovery in order and you are pretty much ready to go. Most important thing of them all is that you learn to feel out how your body reacts to different kinds of training, if it works for you and you are happy with the results, fine, stick with it and be happy, if it doesn’t work, ditch it or think about what went wrong and make the required changes.

If you injure yourself, its probably going to keep you out of the gym and the weight room, so keep that in mind when your joints desperately scream for some rest but you feel like going in the gym and throw some weights around.

E: Eww shit, didn’t even notice the original post was a bit old… Well, hope somebody might benefit of this :stuck_out_tongue: .

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
WTF is with the resurrecting of dead threads lately?[/quote]

I don’t know what your talking about. Slight derail, you think this Cassius Clay guy is going to go places? I think Liston stops him.

[quote]Robert A wrote:

I don’t know what your talking about. Slight derail, you think this Cassius Clay guy is going to go places? I think Liston stops him.[/quote]

HAHA that made me actually laugh out loud

[quote]Robert A wrote:

I don’t know what your talking about. Slight derail, you think this Cassius Clay guy is going to go places? I think Liston stops him.[/quote]

HAHA that made me actually laugh out loud[/quote]

Glad to return the favor. Between you and devildog_jim I have had to clean coffee of my keyboard multiple times this week.