Boxing / Self Defense

[quote]fatsensei wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
I don’t think anything beats a swift kick to the nuts as far as self-defense is concerned.

My instructor used to live in NY and he was confronted by an aggressive vagrant so he kicked him in the nuts and lifted him a couple inches off the ground and when his feet were touching again he punched my instructor in the face and knocked him down. (He was jacked up on something).

My instructor got up and made the junkies knee bend both ways.

FatSensei[/quote]

Damn, man, where do you guys find these people? The last time I got into an altercation some dude was acting like a hardass and got up in my face and pushed me. I kneed him in the nuts and he doubled over, then I punched him in the back of the head and he went down. Of course he was poppin’ the collar… must’ve weighed him down.

[quote]Vegita wrote:
You guys are all big losers, the best way to defend yourself is by having a good offense. In fact I suggest starting shit with as many people as you can, and once everyone notices that you are not afraid of anyone, nobody will even think of fighting you. Kid at the bar looked at you funny? Walk right up and punch him in the face then make fun of him. Fat guy smells bad and makes you mad, go step on his toe then knock his fat ass over and watch him roll around. Old lady moving too slow for your taste, give her a good whack to the back of the head.

As long as you are ALWAYS on the offensive, noone will ever be able to get a shot in on you. I also reccomend going to hospitals to bitch slap some babies, just so they know who the boss is when they are old enough to walk and talk. Also hitting people in the back of the head with a blunt heavy object BEFORE you even talk to them, when they aren’t looking always stops a confrontation before it starts. They cant argue or fight with you if they are riding an ambulence to the hospital now can they.

This is the best advice ever and you guys are all dweebs.

V[/quote]

Good to see your getting out of your shell:)

What the Hell has this world come to? I cant believe Im reading about guys kicking other guys in the nuts!! That is the most gay, estrogen filled comment that a ( real man) could, or would ever make. If you are stupid enough to put yourself in a compromising situation, then you better be big, and tough enough to get out of it, without the feminine tactic of kicking someone in the balls.

The problem is, that most people"think" they are tougher than they really are, and after they open their mouths before engaging their BRAIN, then it is too late, and they are doomed for an ass whoopin, but it`s probably well deserved anyway.

[quote]Fluffy wrote:
Horny Yoda take a deep breath Woo Saa!
Good dont ya just feel more relaxed.
First I was not knocking boxing but maybe you missed the news when to professional boxers decided to go at it in a restraunt the day before the match neither knocked each other out but both suffered hand injuries.
Or even the Aussie boxer Jeff Fenech who was badly injure when attacked by a couple of young thugs.
I did not suggest taking all those different martial arts but had you researched some of those systems you would find they incorporate boxing as well groundfighting.
Boxing on its own facing a determined knife fighter my money is on the knife.
Boxer using drty figthing is better than a streetfighter using dirty figthing is the most convoluted bit of nonsense I have ever read, you figth how you train because of muscle memory, repition and habit you think that will change on the street?
the streetfigther is sometimes just as diciplined as the professional boxer.
As to BodyGuard well put about Avoidences but we also have to factor in those occasions when violences cannot be avoided.
How do I know what I am talking about? I have been a Bodyguard And bouncer in Asia and Australia, for 14 years as well as having trained in martial arts for 24 years.
I know you have your own oppinion but mine comes from experience and if you want to try you boxing against someone armed with a knife there are a number of people who will only be to happy just go into some of the bad areas where you live and walk around with
cash in your hands>
Fluffy [/quote]

I don’t mean disrespect sir, but that last thought of yours is really just assinine; how many times have you been attacked with a knife when YOU’RE NOT WORKING? C’mon dude, it just doesn’t happen to the normal everyday guy who is minding his business. And those times it does - is usually in the commission of a robbery - and my advice would be the same - give up the goods and don’t fight.

This isn’t intended to you sir, but I get a chuckle out of all the MA guys; they think, because they go somewhere and train, that they now are proficient at fighting. It’s the biggest joke going. Someone added that it gives you valuable experience and let’s you know your limitations (getting your ass handed to you) and I agree to an extent. But just b/c you practice one or more MA does not make you a fighter. LMFAO - there are guys that go to the playground religiously to play basketball that suck. Let’s see if I can find the analogy LOL - consistently make lay ups and I’ll give you a belt - make foul shots and I’ll give you another higher belt - make jump shots and on higher - all fucking irrelevant when you play a real basketball player - you get your ass beat.

Bottom line: The average joe has no business fighting. And anything that contributes to the illusion that you can fight is just dangerous.

And bro, chill with the anectdotes; I’ve been shot, stabbed and attacked by 5 guys (I won by the way) but each and every time I placed myself in the danger. I have NEVER been attacked by someone for no reason.

My advice; leave fighting to fighters. Everyone else, mind your damn business - learn that you are not less of a man for walking away and that the size of your schlong isn’t measured by who you can beat up and it doesn’t get smaller by who you can’t beat up.

Again, no disrespect to you bro, I’m just on a rant…and you should know why; we both have seen day in day out, night in night out, guys trying to be tough. Damn near every fight I’ve broken up in a club at least one of the tough guys was counting on my arrival to save his ASS. And any confrontation involving a client means I FAILED because I FAILED to PLAN and AVOID.

I’m done - off my soap box. Sorry.

[quote]danreeves1973 wrote:
OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!

Why do we keep going down this road of “well if it didn’t work in the UFC"s it sucks.”

UFC, Pride, etc. is a SPORT. Deny it if you wish, but its not combat, IT IS SPORT. There are long lists of what you can and cannot do to your opponent. Your goal is not to kill your opponet, but to win. Big difference.

Most importantly, the result of one fight with one fighter does not mean a damn thing about how effective an art is, only how effective that guy was with it under those rules.

As for boxing, hell train in it, learn all you can. Same with Judo, ju-jitsu, akiado, etc. All systems have something to teach (except for Joe San do) and once you have your base established as to what works best for you physically, increase your knowledge and skills, incorporating what you can use, and respecting all knowledge, even if it doesn’t help you.

[/quote]

dumbass.

remove the “rules” from the game, and put chuck liddell up against any “non sport fighter”.

Tht non sport fighter is going to find out he really wasn’t any more “protected” when the rules were removed.

You are lost.

I don’t recall all the wrestlers in high school having a hard time fighting OFF the mat. As i recall, they beat the shit out of everyone.

And talk about a sport with some STUPID RULES… Wrestling has some ridiculous rules.

The old “UFC/Pride are SPORTS with RULES so they don’t tell how well a person can REALLY FIGHT” is a really, really retarded argument, held up mostly by practitioners of martial arts that are TRADITIONAL.

Traditional martial artists are the guys that NEVER TEST OUT what they TRAIN except for in little, sissy, point fighting contests that aren’t even as hard core as that “karate kid” movie bullshit fighting.

And so they become big crybabies when someone points out that what they do does not WORK in REAL LIFE.

So keep crying, lil girl.

I’m going to go do some double legs and then finish my bench press for the day.

Target Focus Training.

The number one weapon is your mind.

Asocial and Anti-social behavior. Know the difference. You can avoid anti-social behavior.

When violence is the answer, it’s the only answer.

Create an injury to the person attacking you. A spinal-reflex injury is what you want to cause in order to defeat your attacker (kick to the nuts, gouge the eyes, crush the windpipe, take out the knee, etc.).

There is CAUSE and EFFECT. Know the difference.

Tim Larkin’s stuff is spot on and will save your life.

Subscribe to his newsletter, get the free DVD, or order his products. Chad Waterbury even wrote a review of TFT on T-Nation.

The rest of the stuff everyone is recommending isn’t going to be the best thing for a real fight/violent situation, i.e. asocial violence.

[quote]Lorisco wrote:
horny yoda wrote:
Lorisco wrote:
thelaw12186 wrote:
I know this has been posted a lot but was wondering if Boxing would be helpful in achieving a relatively good understanding of self-defense? How to throw punches, dodge, improve speed, etc. Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks

Law

The issue with boxing and a lot of martial arts is that in a true self-defense situation there are no rules. Boxing has lots of rules. You learn those rules and then just automatically follow them, even when it is self defense. So you disadvantage yourself because you are following a set of perceived rules that your opponent is not.

The other issue with boxing is hitting someone with your fist to their jaw is not the best method of inflicting harm without injuring yourself.

Now assuming you don’t want or need to know how to kill someone, just defense. And you want to develop the fighting mechanics, I would recommend Thi Boxing. It is a smarter form of boxing that can translate to the street betting that western boxing.

This too is total bullshit.

You cannot train “without rules” because rules keep your head and body intact so that you CAN TRAIN TOMORROW too.

They also ensure that your training partner CAN TRAIN TOMORROW too.

People who say “the problem is, boxing has rules” are not fighters, and have no idea what they are talking about.

I’d put a pro boxer up against “Mr. Streetfighter” any day, with or without rules, and expect the pro to not only win, but to BEAT THE LIVING SHIT out of mr. idiot.

The rules are in place to keep you relatively safe.

After training with the rules, in a full contact environment, it is very little work to adjust your tactics for “dirty fighting” if a problem should occur on the street.

Again, a boxer who is “fighting dirty” on the street is far, far, far scarier than Mr. Streetfighter is when he is “fighting dirty” on the street.

The two simply do not compare.

But I highly recommend you take up a wrestling art as a primary foundation, and a GOOD striking art (boxing/thai boxing) as a secondary solution.

And WORK THE CLINCH.

It is this kind of stupid ass thinking that will get you killed on the street and why most MA or boxers end up hurt on the street.

Real self defense school can and do train with little rules and are realistic as possible. That means body armor, pads, etc. Unlike boxing, you also train to hit lethal targets, not the bony side of someone head.

So Mr. Internet tough guy is going to try and punch someone is his head, while his attacker is busy sticking a screwdriver in his side. You are pathetic and hopefully never have to learn the truth the hard way, if you live to tell about it.

Ps - yea right, that is where you want to be on the street; on the ground in a chinch, while some other guy comes up and cuts your liver out with a pig-sticker!
[/quote]

I practice all day long keeping men who KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING from PUNCHING ME IN THE SIDE.

So how is mr. dumbass going to hit me with his little screwdriver?

Not to mention your total lack of knowledge about impact/puncture weapons on the street.

Men stabbed in the ribs with knives and screwdrivers rarely EVEN KNOW IT until someone shows they are hurt AFTER THE FIGHT.

You are just ignorant.

I learned the real way, stupid.

I’m not just talking out my asshole, as you are.

[quote]SLERG wrote:
What the Hell has this world come to? I cant believe Im reading about guys kicking other guys in the nuts!! That is the most gay, estrogen filled comment that a ( real man) could, or would ever make. If you are stupid enough to put yourself in a compromising situation, then you better be big, and tough enough to get out of it, without the feminine tactic of kicking someone in the balls. [/quote]

“Thats my purse, I don’t know you”

When I was younger I had a black belt in Taekwondo, and one in Shotokan. I was never the type to start fights, but I did get into one when I was about 18. None of my training did any good. I won, but only because the guy was drunker than me, and when it went to the ground and I had enough leverage to stop him pounding my face, he kept pounding the asphalt instead. I could hear the bones in his hands breaking when they hit the ground next to my ears. Dude had problems, blew his head of a couple of weeks later. Messing with someone that crazy did let me know I needed to avoid situations like that as much as possible.

I do think boxing has a lot of merit simply on the fact that sparring gives you somewhat of a feel for what its like to hit and try to hit through someone, IE timing a punch. Getting the confidence to be able to attack puts you at a huge advantage over a lot of guys. Size and strength will still be one of the biggest difference makers though.

You have a point here, I never met a wrestler who could not fight. In fact, I don’t think I ever met one who did not enjoy fighting, and I have known a lot of wrestlers.

On a side note, how unless is the three days self defense training they are giving flight attendants so they can take on terrorists in the event of a hijack!

[quote]horny yoda wrote:
Lorisco wrote:
horny yoda wrote:
Lorisco wrote:
thelaw12186 wrote:
I know this has been posted a lot but was wondering if Boxing would be helpful in achieving a relatively good understanding of self-defense? How to throw punches, dodge, improve speed, etc. Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks

Law

The issue with boxing and a lot of martial arts is that in a true self-defense situation there are no rules. Boxing has lots of rules. You learn those rules and then just automatically follow them, even when it is self defense. So you disadvantage yourself because you are following a set of perceived rules that your opponent is not.

The other issue with boxing is hitting someone with your fist to their jaw is not the best method of inflicting harm without injuring yourself.

Now assuming you don’t want or need to know how to kill someone, just defense. And you want to develop the fighting mechanics, I would recommend Thi Boxing. It is a smarter form of boxing that can translate to the street betting that western boxing.

This too is total bullshit.

You cannot train “without rules” because rules keep your head and body intact so that you CAN TRAIN TOMORROW too.

They also ensure that your training partner CAN TRAIN TOMORROW too.

People who say “the problem is, boxing has rules” are not fighters, and have no idea what they are talking about.

I’d put a pro boxer up against “Mr. Streetfighter” any day, with or without rules, and expect the pro to not only win, but to BEAT THE LIVING SHIT out of mr. idiot.

The rules are in place to keep you relatively safe.

After training with the rules, in a full contact environment, it is very little work to adjust your tactics for “dirty fighting” if a problem should occur on the street.

Again, a boxer who is “fighting dirty” on the street is far, far, far scarier than Mr. Streetfighter is when he is “fighting dirty” on the street.

The two simply do not compare.

But I highly recommend you take up a wrestling art as a primary foundation, and a GOOD striking art (boxing/thai boxing) as a secondary solution.

And WORK THE CLINCH.

It is this kind of stupid ass thinking that will get you killed on the street and why most MA or boxers end up hurt on the street.

Real self defense school can and do train with little rules and are realistic as possible. That means body armor, pads, etc. Unlike boxing, you also train to hit lethal targets, not the bony side of someone head.

So Mr. Internet tough guy is going to try and punch someone is his head, while his attacker is busy sticking a screwdriver in his side. You are pathetic and hopefully never have to learn the truth the hard way, if you live to tell about it.

Ps - yea right, that is where you want to be on the street; on the ground in a chinch, while some other guy comes up and cuts your liver out with a pig-sticker!

I practice all day long keeping men who KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING from PUNCHING ME IN THE SIDE.

So how is mr. dumbass going to hit me with his little screwdriver?

Not to mention your total lack of knowledge about impact/puncture weapons on the street.

Men stabbed in the ribs with knives and screwdrivers rarely EVEN KNOW IT until someone shows they are hurt AFTER THE FIGHT.

You are just ignorant.

I learned the real way, stupid.

I’m not just talking out my asshole, as you are.[/quote]

I can tell by your answer that you have no idea what I’m talking about. So I will explain it once and then back out of this conversation as it is clear to everyone that you are just moments away from being a statistic.

First, someone will not “punch” you in the side. They will get close to you and you will not know it until you feel it. It will not be a blunt screwdriver. It sill be sharp like an ice pick. It will not be in your ribs, but in your side (like I stated). In your side (back) just below your ribs it will hit your liver or kidneys. Either one of those will cause you to bleed excessively and very well die if not taken to a hospital with a trauma surgeon quickly.

So go ahead and play your boxing games and just remember that I told you so when you are in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

Good luck!

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
AverageJay wrote:
TheBodyGuard wrote:
Excuse me but you’re all full of shit. As someone that actually has been paid to protect people - I can tell you the number one weapon / art / discipline of the trade of protecting people. It’s called AVOIDANCE.

Now, I’ve had my share of trouble in my personal life - but always because I CHOSE to be involved in a conflict.

Do some of you tough guys realize that many many normal people go their WHOLE lives without needing to FIGHT?

So, the BEST advice, is to avoid conflict.

Next, there is NOTHING wrong with some basic boxing. It may build your confidence which in and of itself is often a deterrant and yes it will teach you how to throw a punch and perhaps dodge one if you’re lucky.

Unless you plan on being a fighter - you can forget all this MMA shit from these MMA wannabes (you know who you are). Unless you have an interest in the martial arts there is no reason to pursue it. Chances are, if you’re a law abiding normal person, physical violence will probably never find you in your life unless you choose to engage in it or fail to avoid those circumstances where it is present.

Don’t become one of those guys that think they can fight - most people cannot - they only get away with this shit because the person they’re fighting can’t fight either. If you think you can fight - one day you’ll run into someone who really can - and you’ll pay for it.

Take my advice; avoid conflict. If something like boxing will help your confidence - then go ahead and take it…or any other art for that matter that truly interests you. If you want to be a fighter - then you got a long road ahead of you.

Remember; number ONE weapon of those of us who get paid to protect - AVOIDANCE. The average person can avoid trouble. And the average person - boxing class or not - is ill prepared to defend himself - so go back to rule number one - escape, evade, AVOID.

Let the tough guy flaming begin…

Are you Dalton from the double deuce. That Roadhouse movie was great.

Keep laughing. His was the best, most realistic post on this thread.[/quote]

I wasn’t laughing. I actually think all of life’s most important lessons can be learned from the movies.

To BodyGuard no offense taken brother, but I do have to disagree on the knife factor at least as I have seen it in China, Thailand, Indoneasia, Vietnam and Here in Australia.
Last week:
Fuzhou China an Australain musician was stabbed to death because he was getting all the girls attention.
Melbourne two women where stabbed to death in their own home, their murderer was shot dead in an other state when he was pulled over by a cop who he then assaulted.
A man was stabbed in the heart in a sheperton Pub.
And althougth not a knife incident a lone man was set upon by a group of 20 or so men because he was white and they where Muslims, he tried to avoid it but had no chances,had he been armed and knew how to use the weapons at his disposal he may have faired better.
I could go on.
Yes I do agree that avoidences is the best policy but it can’t always happen so we must train for that eventuallity even if it never happens in on lifetime, the more we bleed in training the less we bleed in battle.
And even when you have done the best that you can in being vigilent and making sure your client is safe there will be time in your carreer as a BodyGuard that you will face a determined attacker who will gladly trade his and your life to kill those you have been intrusted to protect.
Stay safe Fluffy