T Nation

Boxing or MMA

Hey guys I’m 18 years old. I used to play football,wrestling and track in high school. I’m currently a college freshman. And I miss playing sports and working out. I have no motivation anymore to workout since I would workout to excel better in sports plus I odnt have the time anymore like I used to.

I want to get back into the swing of things tho. I wanted to know what would be better of getting into and competing in. I’m leaning towards boxing cause I never tried it before and the training interests me. But I want to learn more things about MMA. Sorry for my newbieness but it’s kinda of like UFC correct?

Anyway for boxing or MMA where can I learn about gyms strictly for these sports around my area so I can straight training and hopefully after a couple of months compete??? I’m in the NY-Long Island Area for anyone around their. Thanks

Well, for info on gyms in your area either look some up on the internet or maybe some members on here will post some cool places in your area.

As for choosing MMA or boxing, it all comes down to what you like. Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) is like UFC, yes. Think of it as all types of fighting combined. You will learn boxing, some form of kickboxing, and some ground work.

Here’s what I would do, try them out. Find a place you like and take a boxing and mma class (they usually offer a free session). You’ll find what you like and the place you like to train.

Good luck!

Should I look for boxing or mma specfic gyms. Or should I go to like a major gym like a ballys etc and take those classes?

Cause I think the major gyms would be less intense and I have my heart set on competing since I lost my final football game of senior year and I lost my last wreslting match and was one away from placing into the state championship so I really want to compete and prove to myself that I can win again.

Also how many hours do one usually put in during MMA or boxing? Cause I work around 20 hours already and I’m in school for anonther 20 hours a week. I study for I’d say about 5 a week. I could probly fit training in better if I knew how many hours is a decent amount

[quote]DONJUANPIMPIN wrote:
Hey guys I’m 18 years old. I used to play football,wrestling and track in high school. I’m currently a high school freshman. And I miss playing sports and working out. I have no motivation anymore to workout since I would workout to excel better in sports plus I odnt have the time anymore like I used to.

Your 18 years old and a high school freshman? If you plan to excel in boxing or MMA you better make some time for training or get an ass whooping from a 13 year old kid.

There’s a lot of good boxing gyms in NY and MMA style schools. I boxed when I was a kid and train in BJJ. I have also studied Sambo and Judo and they are excellent martial arts like wrestling. Since you said you have grappling experience, you might want to box for at least a year before joining a MMA school.

I’m a college freshman

Should I look for boxing or mma specfic gyms. Or should I go to like a major gym like a ballys etc and take those classes?

Cause I think the major gyms would be less intense and I have my heart set on competing since I lost my final football game of senior year and I lost my last wreslting match and was one away from placing into the state championship so I really want to compete and prove to myself that I can win again.

Also how many hours do one usually put in during MMA or boxing? Cause I work around 20 hours already and I’m in school for anonther 20 hours a week. I study for I’d say about 5 a week. I could probly fit training in better if I knew how many hours is a decent amount[/quote]

I have no experience training specifically for boxing, but I do for MMA. You already have a pretty good base for MMA due to your wrestling career actually. I have found that wrestlers have some weaknesses but that they are more than made up for by their takedowns and positioning.

Anyway, try http://lockflow.com/school_locator.php?s=New%20York&c=United%20States

They might help. Also, try looking on someplace like Sherdog.

I would say 4-5 hours a week should be good while you learn the basics. Once you get your first fight you could start training more if you wanted to. It also depends on your coach, what he likes to do. Good luck.

If you live in Long Island you might as well check out Matt Serra’s gym(s). I wouldn’t think you could go wrong.

Definitely look into boxing- or MMA-specific gyms. Stay away from the “kickboxing” classes at Bally’s. Not that they are terrible, it’s just they are set up similar to Tae Bo and are more of a cardio class. You’ll get no instruction on how to properly throw a punch, combination, defend etc.

One word of advice if you’re going to do either is to leave your ego at the door and just go in prepared to soak up as much information as you possibly can.

how many of you compete in MMA? I think I really want to just do MMA but theirs no specfic school to learn all forms of MMA. I would have to go off and learn BJJ, boxing, wrestling correct?

how many of you compete in MMA? I think I really want to just do MMA but theirs no specfic school to learn all forms of MMA. I would have to go off and learn BJJ, boxing, wrestling correct?[/quote]

Most people have a background in one or more of those and train to put them together and some people just start at a place that teaches MMA.

You can do either one. Or both or none.

You will probably train at more than one place over time. Why not?

Pick one art you wanna focus on first before learning any MMA. muay thai, bjj, boxing awrestling judo and sambo are good choices