T Nation

Boxing Machine at Bar

What’s the deal with those boxing machines at the bars? I hit it with good boxing technique and I was getting a lower score than guys who didn’t know jack about punching.

are you really sure you made more impact on that single punch.

Maybe you had great technique and were able to throw another punch, but the other guys laid their hole bodyweight in it …

next time: just submit it!

Do you figure yourself to hit pretty hard? Punching power is a very … sorry to use a completely overused term … elusive thing, some people are just naturally good at it, others become good by training, and others never hit hard.

[quote]Fluid wrote:
What’s the deal with those boxing machines at the bars? I hit it with good boxing technique and I was getting a lower score than guys who didn’t know jack about punching. [/quote]

Boxing technique doesn’t neccessarily convey power. Alot of techniques taught in boxing are there because of their effectiveness - that doesn’t mean knockout power, that means for stuff like following up, being fluid, keeping guard etc.

Next time, try to power through with a straight the correct way (power from primarily legs and core, try to be explosive) or alternatively, big winding haymaker twisting at your core and exploding out.

Also, keep in mind, bodyweight can make a great deal difference on those machines. Are those guys heavier/taller than you?

It is because you are weak!

It’s designed for an overhand right…

If you throw a chuck liddel style right you can get a high score. I broke one throwing a kick at it…

you need to scream before you hit it…“kkiiiiiiiiiiiiiyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!” then glare at anyonelooking at you

Acceptable things to yell…

  • SHAZAM!
  • SHORYUKEN!
  • HADOKEN!
  • TIGER UPPERCUT!
  • KIYAH!
  • WAATTAAAHH!!
  • BITCH!

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:

  • HADOKEN!
    [/quote]

That was our team’s battle cry at wrestling. When practicing shots we’d scream this.

LOL @ hadoken singles& doubles

Did you power up first?

Ivan Drago managed 1850 psi on a boxing machine. What did you score?

You know I was just thinking about that very machine the other day after I saw it at a bar…

Didn’t try hitting it though. My buddies were drunk, so hitting the machine soon devolved into hitting each other. Then we got thrown out.

got 650 with correct form, whipping my hand, rotating on my foot, turning hips. I’m not the best puncher but I have been boxing for a while now and can punch harder than the average guy. Then when I saw everyone getting higher than me with no technique, I hit it without any body weight behind and just kind of smacked it with my fist, pushing it and got 750. It’s out of a 1000.

I figured it doesn’t really test how hard you punch, more of how hard you push the bag so it goes and hits up. I guess in order to measure the power of a punch it would need to measure impact, not how far the bag goes.

I had the same thing happen to me with the type of boxing machine that rings a bell if you hit it hard enough, and it did get pretty frustrating. It was basically a speed bag but heavier. For a couple of weeks there was a local carnival and every night a bunch of us would have a few drinks and go out to the carnival.

Every night we’d try that stupid f’n machine and I never got it. Guys who never weight trained, never played sports, guys who I outweighed by 70 lbs would get that damn thing to ring and I couldn’t.

One night, drunk and pissed off, I ran at the thing and swung at it with my hands clasped together like a double ax handle and finally got it to go off. Damn that it felt good to get that stupid bell to ring.

[quote]Fluid wrote:
What’s the deal with those boxing machines at the bars? I hit it with good boxing technique and I was getting a lower score than guys who didn’t know jack about punching. [/quote]

I have got 990 on one of them machines before but i stay away from them,They have not got enough weight behind them and make me feel like im about to jar my wrist.
You allways see groups of lads huddled round them telling everyone that theyre going to start boxing again…it normally helps if they did it in the first place.

Ow and those guys that get high scores and know jack about punching normally take a 6ft run up.
Just stay away from them i have seen some good fighters that i train with get injuries it aint worth it,protect your hands you need them for the real deal.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
Ivan Drago managed 1850 psi on a boxing machine. What did you score?[/quote]

Over 9,000

I thought he got 2,250 lbs!!!

But Rocky beat him

[quote]Sonny S wrote:
I had the same thing happen to me with the type of boxing machine that rings a bell if you hit it hard enough, and it did get pretty frustrating. It was basically a speed bag but heavier. For a couple of weeks there was a local carnival and every night a bunch of us would have a few drinks and go out to the carnival.

Every night we’d try that stupid f’n machine and I never got it. Guys who never weight trained, never played sports, guys who I outweighed by 70 lbs would get that damn thing to ring and I couldn’t.

One night, drunk and pissed off, I ran at the thing and swung at it with my hands clasped together like a double ax handle and finally got it to go off. Damn that it felt good to get that stupid bell to ring.

[/quote]

hahahhahaha