Boxing Help

hey i am 16 stone or 228 pounds if you prefer,
i am into strength training and am a big lad, i have a huge bone structure and an fairly strong,
i am now getting into boxing,
i want to work on my punch and i want to be in brilliant condition,

can any one help me with a work out plan to make my punches harder
and condition me to be a balanced fighter.
thanks alot

Find a boxing gym and a good coach. Technique will make your punches harder and training will get you in brilliant condition.

sorry about the repost it dident go through at first and thanks for the help mate

[quote]Melvin Smiley wrote:
Find a boxing gym and a good coach. Technique will make your punches harder and training will get you in brilliant condition.[/quote]

x2.

You don’t learn to box in the weightroom.

i know i am starting boxing properly also but i mean like some training i can do most days of the week but thank you for telling me i used to lift weights to get better i am smarter than that no…i hope haha

clapping pushups

oh sounds good yeah i will try them why is it they work better? is it because you have to push off the ground a lot harder in an explosive motion,

i am just guessing but is that good for fast twitch muscle ? i am new to all these big words
but i am trying to get better,

would creatine be a good idea whilst training i know a lot their is a lot of different opinions about it so i just wna to hear what every one thinks im not expecting you to give me the actual scientific proven fact or anything lol,
cheers again

i dont really know if creatine would help, except maybe make you retain more water.

if you wanna do a workout program, “complexes for fatloss” is an article outlining a really good program. also Waterbury has the “full throttle training” series of articles you could read.

best advice would be to get in the gym and box.

ah right thank you very much therizza i am going to the boxing gym today,
and i spar with all my mates i dropped one friend in 3 hits but i am much to slow and an balanced on my feet also my hand eye coordination sucks also took me like 15 punches to land the last 3 ha,
although he has done boxing for about 7 years

keep on truckin

ok…rule #1 you are born with your punching power…and your ‘chin’ as they say (how good you can take a punch)

you can not in any way do anything to punch ‘harder’ faster yes…crisper yes…sharper yes…but not harder…
since this a ‘weight’ based fourum./.ill take a quote from1 of the best eve…LEE HANEY
remember when he weight trained Holyfield to go from 175 lbs up to 208 lbs…he clearly stated…

’ I had nothing to do with his punching power…but only adding weight…

remember…
‘ITS NOT HOW MUCH YOU LIFT,BUT HOW HARD YOU PUNCH’
hope this helps…form is key…and teqnique…not weights per say…good luck

[quote]fightu35 wrote:
ok…rule #1 you are born with your punching power…and your ‘chin’ as they say (how good you can take a punch)[/quote]

Bullshit.

100% FACT, how many fights have you had ?
look though history…look at 230lb body builders…most cant crack an egg…fact…
look at some of the hardest punchers in boxing history…most are 160lbs or lighter…being from Ireland…you should know this…many tough guys and hard punchers…but far from big nor big muscles…

[quote]fightu35 wrote:
look at some of the hardest punchers in boxing history…most are 160lbs or lighter…being from Ireland…you should know this…many tough guys and hard punchers…but far from big nor big muscles…[/quote]

…Im really just speechless.

To the OP, get a trainer, form has a lot to do with it, proper footing and using your hips correctly adds a ton of power than being off balance and square.

[quote]fightu35 wrote:
look at some of the hardest punchers in boxing history…most are 160lbs or lighter…being from Ireland…you should know this…many tough guys and hard punchers…but far from big nor big muscles…[/quote]

Bullshit.

Oh wait, I said that already.

If this was true I’d still be punching as hard now as my first day of training. Does that sound right to you?

As I said…how many fights have you had ? how many world rated guys have you sparred ?
well I have done both these things,its a fact…as I said…you can deliver your ‘power’ faster…and sharper…yes…but you do not hit harder…Holyfield put on over 20 lbs of muscle…and did not punch 1 bit harder then when he was 185 lbs…and if you notice all fighters who move UP in weight…never punch harder…

delahoya being one of them…he was a killer at 130 lbs…at 154+ cant crack an egg…the list goes on and on…remember there is ‘strengt’ and punching power are 2 different things…most guys at the gym can prob bench more then me…but its a fact they can not hit harder then me…muscles have zero to do with punching power its delivery…and the power you was born with…any real fighter would know what I mean…ask a few.

case in point.I trained with paul roma…from the WWE he was over 235lbs ripped…could punch harder then a girl…I trained with Javol Langford from the bengals ,NFL

6 '4 over 260 lb.s.could not punch as hard ad the ave 170 lbs boxer…shall I go on ?
pound for pound ,look at Bob Sapp…7 foot tall…over 300 lbs…you gonna say he punches hard ? well…hard for that size ? and yrs of roid use.these are facts my friend…keep training hard.

Are you trying to make the point that weightlifting and muscle bulk don’t relate directly to punching power? Because thats something I think people would agree with. Training for size does not increase power, but that is not the same as saying increases in power are not possible.

But I haven’t had any fights or sparred with a world rated guy, I’m just talking here.

you are right…as I said…you can improve the punch you have…and sharpen it up,per say…but not 'increase’punching power much. my friend who competes in minnor bodybuilding contests can bench a house…and looks great…and he has the same punching power he had when we was younger…but there are many,many who still think ‘size’ and your poundage = how hard you punch,and Im saying its got zero to do with it.

if anyone watched the HBO show 24/7 about maywheater vs hatton…did you see Hatton in the weight room…pretty strong for a 140lb guy…and his leg press was very ,heavy .but we seen him not hurt Floyd once…and hasent ko’d anyone in years,even know his weight training program picked up.
Oscar worked with legand’ Reg parks son,and his power never went up…you seem to see this…Im just saying ,its a big misunder standing with many. do you fight ? or ever plan to ?

suffice it to say that, in order to become a better boxer, one must box. power is work/time. that being said, merely increasing the “sharpness” of you punches will make them hit with more power, not more force. i think proper form and body mechanics can increase the force you can produce, more than anything else. it doesn’t take much power to knock someone out, just precision, can we agree on that?

[quote]Therizza wrote:
suffice it to say that, in order to become a better boxer, one must box. power is work/time. that being said, merely increasing the “sharpness” of you punches will make them hit with more power, not more force. i think proper form and body mechanics can increase the force you can produce, more than anything else. it doesn’t take much power to knock someone out, just precision, can we agree on that?[/quote]

yes agreed, you can improve the ‘POWER YOU HAVE’ nothing will make you punch harder,not the size of your muscles…not how much you bench,not supplements…nothing…that was more my point…its