Boxing Help: How Do You Do This?

[quote]admbaum wrote:

[quote]goldengloves wrote:

[quote]admbaum wrote:
Irish, check this out…might help

I just stumbled onto this. This guys footwork is sick but he talks exactly about how to develop speed on it but check 1:18[/quote]

I’ve been in boxing for quite awhile and really can’t think of any ways bouncing around and arm punching will help you.

[/quote]

wont help, not at all

in case you didnt know

[/quote]

Wow, that looks surprisingly like the videos of him putting on a show while shadow boxing. Maybe because that’s what it’s a video of?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
He’s basically just throwing a “flurry” of uppercuts (in Joe Lewis’s system that’s called the “shoe shine” flurry). There isn’t much power behind those punches (really any of the ones he’s throwing in that shadowboxing segment), it’s more so just designed to “break the opponent’s rhythm” and overwhelm them for a moment so you can land something more substantial.

Of all the flurries that one is among the easiest and most natural IMO. If you’ve got decently fast hands, feet, and good fundamentals it shouldn’t be too hard to get that flurry up to the speed seen in the video.[/quote]

It’s not really teh speed that’s the problem, its more the rythym that I’m having trouble developing.

I have, however, noticed that it’s beginning to come along a little bit, and I’m getting better at it.

And Golden- not sure whether you referencing that manner of throwing uppercuts in practice or that particular video?[/quote]

Both videos really.

The easiest thing to do is go half-speed then work your way up. It’s a lot like jumping rope actually; you’ve to build up to full speed. If I can’t sprint while jumping rope I’ll just make a mess of trying to, if I build up to sprinting I’ll have an easier time making the transition to it.

why do soooo many boxers do it then? It must have some purpose or they wouldnt, I mean it just stands to reason. Dave Tate had some interesting things to say about things like this:

I think what they are saying applies here as well.

that is actually a great series of videos-
most of them are on you tube.
Tate on Morals and goals is very powerful.

hijack over.

[quote]admbaum wrote:
why do soooo many boxers do it then? It must have some purpose or they wouldnt, I mean it just stands to reason. Dave Tate had some interesting things to say about things like this:

I think what they are saying applies here as well.[/quote]

Who are the many boxers? Come to think of it, what does Pacquiao showing his speed while shadowboxing have anything to do with the drill that person made a video of?

I can’t believe this drill has eluded me for so long.

[quote]admbaum wrote:

Who are the many boxers? Come to think of it, what does Pacquiao showing his speed while shadowboxing have anything to do with the drill that person made a video of?

I can’t believe this drill has eluded me for so long.[/quote]

Consider yourself informed. You’re welcome.

You have to crawl before you walk. The drill video is about what you can do to build up speed. Did you watch it? You seem like you know everything so…carry on.

I hope that helped Irish.

[quote]admbaum wrote:

[quote]admbaum wrote:

I can’t believe this drill has eluded me for so long.[/quote]

Consider yourself informed. You’re welcome.

You have to crawl before you walk. The drill video is about what you can do to build up speed. Did you watch it? You seem like you know everything so…carry on.

I hope that helped Irish.[/quote]

What did you inform me of? You didn’t even address my post. Tell me about all the professionals using the drill and how Pacquiao shadow boxing is relevant to the drill. Would you mind telling me how the drill will aid you in punching while moving too? Thanks.

Irish, I didn’t have time to write this before but here are some ways to improve your ability to put together shots:

If you want to shoe shine like that shadowboxing then it’s really not hard at all, just move your elbows up and down quickly.

If you’re looking to actually be able to throw shots like that then it’s the same principle, you just have to build up to landing shots that quickly seeing as you actually have to worry about mechanics, landing the shots, and staying protected. Unfortunately the only way to get the ability to do those things is working the mitts until you get it right.

Honestly the only dude that I’ve ever really seen punch like that in a fight was SRL, and he did it for show, of course, and to score points.

But it does seem to indicate a certain level of coordination and rythym, and that’s what I’m after. Really that’s the only drill that I was very unclear about… but just in the last couple weeks I’ve begun to see that rythym begin developing where I can almost do that.

I tell you… it’s funny to see how shit begins coming along after a while when you shadowbox alot. I’m a firm believer that it’s the most important part of the fighter’s regime. My balance and coordination is light years ahead of where it was this time last year.