Boxing Help: How Do You Do This?

Maybe one of my boxing amigos can help me out.

Look at 2:27, when this cat is shadowboxing and throwing his uppercuts. How the fuck does he do that?

Now I’ve seen a lot of pros do this as well, but not all of them. Any idea how you could get to the point where you can move like that?

As with anything in boxing it’s just a matter of time and repetition. However, it’s not that difficult, it’s just making small explosive movements.

I’m not a boxer, but I’ll go with practice and time. Just like skipping rope, it’s something you’ve got to practice, practice, practice. If you have an uppercut bag, focus on a spot and try to hit it as fast as possible.

I tried doing it and looked like a retard trying to run in place.

Its all about your uppercut body mechanics. Try stepping backward with every uppercut. Once you can throw a correct uppercut, practice it till you get it up to the speed you want, though the guy was more showing off than anything. I would hope he doesn’t throw them like that when he really fights. But then again…I’m a Thai fighter and my coach taught us to throw strikes as if we were really fighting when we shadowbox…ie…full extension of punches, 10% force. In boxing, I had a coach tell me to keep my strikes short and fast.

[quote]goldengloves wrote:
As with anything in boxing it’s just a matter of time and repetition. However, it’s not that difficult, it’s just making small explosive movements.

[/quote]

That’s what I was figuring. My shadowboxing looks fairly strong except with uppercuts, probably because I don’t often practice them. I have been working them more on focus mitts.

But getting that rythym that he has, that those fighters have, is the more difficult thing. I’m still working on that… sucks being white.

[quote]admbaum wrote:
Its all about your uppercut body mechanics. Try stepping backward with every uppercut. Once you can throw a correct uppercut, practice it till you get it up to the speed you want, though the guy was more showing off than anything. I would hope he doesn’t throw them like that when he really fights. But then again…I’m a Thai fighter and my coach taught us to throw strikes as if we were really fighting when we shadowbox…ie…full extension of punches, 10% force. In boxing, I had a coach tell me to keep my strikes short and fast. [/quote]

Yea boxers do it differently. Ain’t noone gonna throw a punch like that in a boxing match, but it’s the way to get things flowing. But Pac does it in this clip also, albeit faster.

see how he’s kinda back shuffling on those uppers…I think thats the key. Good punching always starts at the feet.

He’s basically just throwing a “flurry” of uppercuts (in Joe Lewis’s system that’s called the “shoe shine” flurry). There isn’t much power behind those punches (really any of the ones he’s throwing in that shadowboxing segment), it’s more so just designed to “break the opponent’s rhythm” and overwhelm them for a moment so you can land something more substantial.

Of all the flurries that one is among the easiest and most natural IMO. If you’ve got decently fast hands, feet, and good fundamentals it shouldn’t be too hard to get that flurry up to the speed seen in the video.

I tried it tonight. I was a bit slow but with a little practice, I can get it going faster. I was in my gloves too. 16oz’ers w/wraps no less. I’m sure I looked horrible doing it but…that’s training.

I can’t see the fight science vid…could you direct me to exactly what you are talking about regarding the uppercuts in the manny pac video. Thanks!

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

But getting that rythym that he has, that those fighters have, is the more difficult thing. I’m still working on that… sucks being white.[/quote]

Hey, being white has nothing to do with it. Proof: Rocky III - Training Montage - YouTube

damn i gotta watch rocky again…can’t wait to go for my run tomorrow for boxing. BOXING THE BEST!

Gotta love Rocky. And yeah, rhythm can be taught/learned with practice. Not everyone is going to be able to move like Mayweather, Pac Man, Leonard, Robinson, or some of the other greats, but everyone can improve from where they start out.

Irish, check this out…might help

I just stumbled onto this. This guys footwork is sick but he talks exactly about how to develop speed on it but check 1:18

I cannot view the video but am curious.

While I strongly oppose the tradional canon [ie in the traditional sense of completeness] of western boxing strikes (jab, cross, hook, uppercut) it does one thing very well:

If you understand those four techniques, everything else is just a variation. In fact, even crazy shit like ellbow strikes can broken down pretty fast and learnt using the meachanics of the four main boxing strikes.

Irish, I believe you said that your liver hooks are decent?
Zhink of the uppercut and the hook as two extremes; the body hook is in terms of mechanics very much between these two.
In any case, hooks use even less arms and they are unleashed very late.
A variation of the uppercut that uses more arm and forward momentum is the bolo-hook or punch. But that shit is for fast guys with excellent rythm and ego.

[quote]admbaum wrote:

I just stumbled onto this. This guys footwork is sick but he talks exactly about how to develop speed on it but check 1:18[/quote]

I’ve been in boxing for quite awhile and really can’t think of any ways bouncing around and arm punching will help you.

If you guys really want to improve your footwork then first you need to learn proper footwork. It’s not making small steps as most people show you, it’s sliding on the balls of your feet. Watch SRR, he only lifts his feet to move out of range. When he’s in range he lifts the heel and slides the foot, that way you’re always balanced and have leverage. He always has contact with the ground while in range. Then just jump rope and do exercises to increase foot speed.

I am no boxer , but made improvements

but I did improve my ‘speed’
with lots of agility ladder work.
lots of skips

while never ‘fast’ I got faster

[quote]goldengloves wrote:

[quote]admbaum wrote:

I just stumbled onto this. This guys footwork is sick but he talks exactly about how to develop speed on it but check 1:18[/quote]

I’ve been in boxing for quite awhile and really can’t think of any ways bouncing around and arm punching will help you.

[/quote]

wont help, not at all

in case you didnt know

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
He’s basically just throwing a “flurry” of uppercuts (in Joe Lewis’s system that’s called the “shoe shine” flurry). There isn’t much power behind those punches (really any of the ones he’s throwing in that shadowboxing segment), it’s more so just designed to “break the opponent’s rhythm” and overwhelm them for a moment so you can land something more substantial.

Of all the flurries that one is among the easiest and most natural IMO. If you’ve got decently fast hands, feet, and good fundamentals it shouldn’t be too hard to get that flurry up to the speed seen in the video.[/quote]

It’s not really teh speed that’s the problem, its more the rythym that I’m having trouble developing.

I have, however, noticed that it’s beginning to come along a little bit, and I’m getting better at it.

And Golden- not sure whether you referencing that manner of throwing uppercuts in practice or that particular video?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

Of all the flurries that one is among the easiest and most natural IMO. If you’ve got decently fast hands, feet, and good fundamentals it shouldn’t be too hard to get that flurry up to the speed seen in the video.[/quote]

It’s not really teh speed that’s the problem, its more the rythym that I’m having trouble developing.

I have, however, noticed that it’s beginning to come along a little bit, and I’m getting better at it.

And Golden- not sure whether you referencing that manner of throwing uppercuts in practice or that particular video?[/quote]

I hear ya. I have to throw a jab or a combo before my rhythms right. The two-piece and a biscuit sets it up well for me, though my buddy can throw an uppercut flurry right off the bat. I guess you just have to play around and practice it.