T Nation

Boxing Gyms - NYC

Can anyone recommend a good boxing gym in Manhattan?

I had posted my interest in MMA a few weeks back, but soon realized that going from no MMA into full-blown MMA would be too much, I decided to give BJJ a try. Unfortunately my schedule does not allow me to fit into any of the beginner’s classes at the schools where I was directed – so my focus has shifted to boxing.

My interest in joining a boxing academy is twofold: 1.) For cardiovascular fitness purposes; the sports that I used to participate in (soccer, tennis, squash) are a pain in the ass to practice in Manhattan, not to mention expensive in some cases.

But most importantly, 2.) My shrink recommended that I take up a combat sport. You see, I suffer from pretty severe anxiety and I take a boatload of meds for this. My doc believes that by taking up a combat sport I will become more desensitized, feel more secure about myself and this will help to counteract the anxiety.

He said that many of his clients had gone this route with marked improvements in their mental well-being.

I did some boxing a few years ago and I think that this helped me. Lifting weights definitely helps me feel more self-confident and less paranoid, but I need to do something else to reduce my anxiety and I think taking up boxing again is a good option.

Thanks,
J

you probly wont find too many gyms in the world as well known as gleasons right by the brooklyn bridge. Even Pros train there.

I know you asked for Manhattan, but I train O-Lifts at Lost Battalion Hall on Queens Blvd. When I train the O-lifts on Mondays and Wednesdays, there are a decent amount of people boxing. You may want to check it out.

Good luck.

-Machine

Google info Link
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&q=Lost+Battalion+Hall&near=&ie=UTF8&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=61.928102,104.0625&cid=37062500,-95677068,3060353396349431606&li=lmd&z=14&ll=40.738088,-73.871126&spn=0.02946,0.050812&om=1&iwloc=A

Gleasons is definitely world class, unfortunately because of my schedule I can’t make it to Brooklyn (or any other borough).

This is a random list that I found for gyms in Manhattan:

  • Church Street Boxing Gym
  • Dirty Napps Boxing (weird name)
  • Fight 2 Fight Club (another weird name)
  • Inwood Boxing Academy
  • K&Lo Fitness
  • Kingsway Gym
  • Mendez Boxing
  • NYKK Gym
  • Waterfront Boxing Club
  • Trinity Boxing Club
  • The Boxing Chef (wtf??)
  • Undisputed

Ok, let me rephrase my question.

Does anyone know of any good boxing websites/boards where I can get an answer to my original question?

Thanks,
-J

Trinity Boxing Club is a great gym. The owner Martin Snow is a cool guy too.


AC

Can’t get a better recommendation than that - thanks coach!

J

[quote]JuliusA wrote:
But most importantly, 2.) My shrink recommended that I take up a combat sport. You see, I suffer from pretty severe anxiety and I take a boatload of meds for this. My doc believes that by taking up a combat sport I will become more desensitized, feel more secure about myself and this will help to counteract the anxiety.
[/quote]

Wow, I’m surprise to hear this, I think I like your shrink. Some of the gyms you mentioned:

  • Church Street Boxing Gym
    For your purpose, I think it’s fine. It actually got weights and a squat rack
  • Fight 2 Fight Club (another weird name)
    It’s actually Fit 2 Fight. It’s more of a Sanshou/thai gym
  • Kingsway Gym
    Quality is about the same as Church Street
  • NYKK Gym
    This one is also more of a sanshou/thai gym
  • Trinity Boxing Club
    Little pricy for me, but equipment looks fine

Not trying to confuse you, but if you think MMA is too full blown, why don’t you take up something more of middle ground like Muay thai or Sanshou?

[quote]oriensus wrote:
Not trying to confuse you, but if you think MMA is too full blown, why don’t you take up something more of middle ground like Muay thai or Sanshou?[/quote]

I appreciate the info. The reason I’m not looking into Muay Thai is that I suffer from shin splints (from sprinting) and I can’t imagine my shin colliding with someone else’s knee, elbow, or shin. I would drop like a sack of potatoes.
Re: Sanshou, I have never heard of it.

Thanks,
J

Sanshou is a Chinese full-contact sport that incorporates hand and foot techniques with throws, but allows for no ground fighting.

Watch Cung Le put on a clinic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r55mxK2xKc

Come in to the Trinity Boxing Club for a lesson. I own the gym and I think taking up boxing would help you with your anxiety. I disagree with your shrink that it will desensitize you to anxiety. Fear gets a bad rap. Fear can be a friend or foe. Cus D’Amato used to say fear is like a fire- if you can control it, it can heat your house, if you can’t, it will burn your house down. Instead of hiding from it, face it. Fear is a weapon that we need to survive. There’s a pretty good reason you experience anxiety - because life is scary! Turn on CNN and you’ll see what I mean. But you can’t change the world, only the way you live in it. Boxing will teach you how to face your fears, and use your fear to your advantage. Send me an e-mail, martin@trinityboxing.com, when you want to come in. And thanks, Alwyn, for the good word. Martin Snow

[quote]JuliusA wrote:

  • Church Street Boxing Gym
  • Dirty Napps Boxing (weird name)
  • Fight 2 Fight Club (another weird name)
  • Inwood Boxing Academy
  • K&Lo Fitness
  • Kingsway Gym
  • Mendez Boxing
  • NYKK Gym
  • Waterfront Boxing Club
  • Trinity Boxing Club
  • The Boxing Chef (wtf??)
  • Undisputed
    [/quote]

Are there any others?

[quote]JuliusA wrote:
Gleasons is definitely world class, unfortunately because of my schedule I can’t make it to Brooklyn (or any other borough).
[/quote]
This is a random list that I found for gyms in Manhattan:

  • Church Street Boxing Gym
  • Dirty Napps Boxing (weird name)
  • Fight 2 Fight Club (another weird name)
  • Inwood Boxing Academy
  • K&Lo Fitness
  • Kingsway Gym
  • Mendez Boxing
  • NYKK Gym
  • Waterfront Boxing Club
  • Trinity Boxing Club
  • The Boxing Chef (wtf??)
  • Undisputed

I’d like to respond to the last post about the Trinity Boxing Club. My name is Martin Snow and I own the Trinity Boxing Club. You’d be right to say that I never boxed before, if you didn’t count the time I won the silver medal in the NY Golden Gloves in 1986, or the time I won the New York State title, or the two consecutive years I won the NYC Metro title. And my boxing knowledge is limited to the 15 years I’ve spent training amateur and professional fighters, including Golden Glove and National champions, and maybe that fighter who won Boxer of the Year from the US Olympic Committee.

I’ve been in boxing for 25 years. Get your facts straight kid before you start passing yourself off as someone who knows what they’re talking about.

[quote]trinityboxing wrote:
I’d like to respond to the last post about the Trinity Boxing Club. My name is Martin Snow and I own the Trinity Boxing Club. You’d be right to say that I never boxed before, if you didn’t count the time I won the silver medal in the NY Golden Gloves in 1986, or the time I won the New York State title, or the two consecutive years I won the NYC Metro title. And my boxing knowledge is limited to the 15 years I’ve spent training amateur and professional fighters, including Golden Glove and National champions, and maybe that fighter who won Boxer of the Year from the US Olympic Committee.

I’ve been in boxing for 25 years. Get your facts straight kid before you start passing yourself off as someone who knows what they’re talking about.[/quote]

Talk about a Knockout post hahahaha.