Boxing and lifting

good to hear from you Bryan. Obviously, I have a difference of opionion with regards to work thresholds of most coaches, however I do feel my athletes results are the best testament to its success. With regards to technical work - you raise a very valid point. If you or anyone else reads this who has technical problems with a lift - tell me and we will work on alternatives. For me to offer any suggestions it is important for me to understand your training goals. It appears that you are interested in training but with an overview for conditioning in boxing - is that correct?. As a coach, my greatest reward is an athlete’s success. I hope to be of help. In faith, Coach Davies

Coach,
I have since performed the workout and found it fairly easy.
my boxing training consist of sparring padwork, skipping and running. Coach I only do padwork I do not use a heavy bag I feel it slows me down by making me to thud with my punches not snap them and I dont like the floor to ceiling ball cause it teaches me to be an arm puncher. I like pad because you can use perfect technique and movement and get punches thrown back to react to.
Everything I do including running is in 3 minute rounds with 1 minute rest. I do pads and sparring every second day and fitness work inbetween days.
I feel I really need to up the intensity of my training I am fairly fit but do find myself short of breath when I really open up in sparring.
thankyou for your help
Ausbox

I have to agree that boxing does not carry over much to other forms of foghtig. If anyone saw that display by Lennox Lews and Rahman, I can say this. They fight like pussies. They are both great and wonderful boxers, but to hug upright and polka around leads me to believe that it was either staged or they can’t fight. Boxing is cerebral, fighting is the active focus of rage.

i agree boxing isn’t going to make you a great street fighter but in defense of lewis-rahman, although i feel it was real i’m sure both realised that any damage done could scrap the fight or at least postpone it. these men are punchers they don’t train to wrestle so they won’t look real good doing it.

Jay you can bet it would have been a promo stunt.
Just like Tyson saying he wants to eat Lennox’s kids, Lennox does not even have any kids. Tyson plays the part of a psycho to sell tickets.
This bout is not the most attractive H/weight stouch out there so it needed a bit of a boost. It got great publicity for the fight.

Agree that grappling is possibly a quicker way to get fighting skills although excellent striking skills is my preferred intermediate/advanced fight skill. Anton, you might want to consider kickboxing/muay thai (elbows and leg kicks are VERY effective weapons) together with wresting or BJJ so that your sticking skills cant be negated by a beginner grappler. Alternatively, consider vale tudo type training.