Boxing and Lifting

I just started boxing classes the other day (it’s 2 times a week). I have no ambitions of becoming a fighter, I just am a fan of boxing and taking classes is always something I’ve wanted to do.

For those who box, I’m curious what strength training programs you use, and how many days you lift in the gym in addition to boxing.

Currently I’m doing TBT but I think I’m going to have to make a few tweaks as I think it might be a bit too much volume. I might drop it down to a 2x a week program, but not sure how I’m going to set it up, yet.

Also, what type of cardio should I be doing on the days I don’t box. I was thinking sprints would be a good choice.

Thanks for the help.

Below is a link to a setup for Evander Holyfield. Enjoy.

If the link doesn’t go through, just do a search for how they train, evander conditioning…

www.sportsci.org/news/news9709/hatfield.html

olympic lifting and sprints would be good, but the CNC will take a big hammering with all that activity, so a balance will be needed

Overhead squats will help develop an iron core too

If you really want to get a good cardio workout (and work your technique at the same time), try finding a bag and doing the following:

• Shovel Hooks (right and left)

• Jab/Cross

• Uppercuts (right and left)

• Hooks (right and left)

At a decent clip with good form for a round.* Take a break (30 sec. or 1 min.) and then go another round. A number of the boxers at my gym do this when they’re beat up from sparring and still want to work some sport-specific cardio or to “burn themselves out” when they’ve still got some energy left after their typical sparring.

• By a decent clip, I mean fast enough that you can barely finish the last round - whether that’s two or three at the end of a workout or the last round you’d box if you’re training for a fight.

[quote]Cluster wrote:
If you really want to get a good cardio workout (and work your technique at the same time), try finding a bag and doing the following:

• Shovel Hooks (right and left)

• Jab/Cross

• Uppercuts (right and left)

• Hooks (right and left)

At a decent clip with good form for a round.* Take a break (30 sec. or 1 min.) and then go another round. A number of the boxers at my gym do this when they’re beat up from sparring and still want to work some sport-specific cardio or to “burn themselves out” when they’ve still got some energy left after their typical sparring.

• By a decent clip, I mean fast enough that you can barely finish the last round - whether that’s two or three at the end of a workout or the last round you’d box if you’re training for a fight. [/quote]

That’s kind of similar to what my boxing trainer has me doing now and it’s a bitch at the end of a workout, but seems to be really effective.

I found this strength-training routine on a boxing website and thought it looked quite good:

1. Dumbbell Snatches 3 x 5 reps per arm
    2A. Bench Press 3 x 6 reps
    2B. Plyometric Pushups 3 x 10
  2. Power Cleans 3 x 4 reps
  3. Dumbbell Lunges 3 x 6 per leg
  4. Weighted Pull-ups 4 x 6
  5. Dumbbell Swings 3 x 12 per arm (conditioning emphasis)

What’s the T-Nation consensus on this program combined with 2-3 days of boxing work?

Two words for you.

Ross Boxing

[quote]MarcAnthony wrote:
Two words for you.

Ross Boxing[/quote]

That’s where I got the workout routine from. I spent like 2 hours reading through a lot of articles on the site last night and they definitely cleared up a lot of questions I had as it regards training on non-boxing days.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
I found this strength-training routine on a boxing website and thought it looked quite good:

1. Dumbbell Snatches 3 x 5 reps per arm
    2A. Bench Press 3 x 6 reps
    2B. Plyometric Pushups 3 x 10
  2. Power Cleans 3 x 4 reps
  3. Dumbbell Lunges 3 x 6 per leg
  4. Weighted Pull-ups 4 x 6
  5. Dumbbell Swings 3 x 12 per arm (conditioning emphasis)

What’s the T-Nation consensus on this program combined with 2-3 days of boxing work?[/quote]

consensus:: excellent

get a lot of training ideas from him.

Having been a professional boxer for 3 years, i recommend this…

squats 3x5
deadlifts 3x5
clean and PRESSES 3X5
lunges 5x20
barbell curls 3x15
dips 3xmax.

If you want to make it in boxing, you should train 4-5 times a week and do this weight routine twice per week.

For cardiovascular training, ask your trainer, or find a new one, to put you through competition drills. These are FAR more intense than the average conditioning/routine that boxers do when they aren’t preparing for a competition.

SHIT!!! I meant when they are preparin for a competition.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think my setup is going to look like this:

Monday: Box (45 minutes)
Tuesday: Weight training (program I copied above)
Wednesday: Box (45 minutes)
Thursday: Interval training (run hard for 2-3 minutes, rest 1 minute; repeat 5-6 times)
Friday: Weight training
Saturday: Distance running/Off (I might move distance running to Fridays some weeks b/c of my schedule)
Sunday: Off