Boxing 2014

I started boxing, and got my ass beat today.

Carry on.

how good is wladimir klitschko? heard an analyst say prime corrie saunders beats any version of wlad. thought it was interesting.

I cant decide. wlad undoubtedly progressed since his defeats.

on the one hand, he maybe doesn’t get enough credit. but u could argue because of his level of opposition he just cant be rated higher.

saunders had a lethal straight left, crazy speed and great power, and I think wlad has a poor chin. but hes smart now. prime saunders vs best wlad? honestly think its 50/50.

any thoughts?

Nice Knockout:

Sorry, unable to post video:

ok, WTF? Just not my morning. LoL…

[quote]idaho wrote:
Nice Knockout:[/quote]

Boom. Knockout of the year right there. Doubly impressive that he did it in front of 80,000.

Even nicer because of all the trash talking Groves did over the last 7 months. Froch just proved once again that the best way to shut someone’s mouth is with a right cross. Hopefully Froch finally gets the respect from the general public that should have been his all along.

I want to see Froch beat Chavez Jr. And then a fight vs. GGG.

This hopefully is after GGG beats some better competition.

Froch continues to impress me. No defense, and keep that lead hand down so damn low… BUT, he keeps winning. Tough dude.

I’d like to make a statement, almost as a disclaimer, before I launch into a controversial post.
I am a big Froch fan. I admire his work ethic, his tenacity and his demeanour in the ring. I find him an inspiration.

But…
Despite the career highlight finish, I felt I was watching a declining Froch Saturday.

His movement has slowed and in the early going he seemed to me at least one step behind Groves.
Against Kessler, Froch was credited for fighting in bursts; not being consistently aggressive and boxing his way to the win.
While I admired this at the time, I have to wonder if the engine will ever allow him to relive the frenetic pace of the Bute fight.
Any success enjoyed in the early rounds were largely a result of Groves’ negative tactics.
Having boxed an astute defensive fight early, the visibly stronger Froch, struggled to force Groves to the perimeter.

In round six Groves altered tactics and made a concerted effort to to physically confront Froch.
Although, this would prove his eventual undoing, he enjoyed good success and the fight began to adopt shades of Novemeber 2013.
Round 6 contained the most ferocious exchanges and both men had to absorb some severe punishment.
Groves hurt Froch in seven and appeared to be in the ascendancy.
With confidence high coming into Round 8, Groves failed to anticipate a wonderful set piece before he was blasted half way across London.
Two judges had Froch ahead and one had the score for Groves.

Now, let us apply some context with an analysis of George Groves.

The most reputable names on Groves’ record before Froch were James Degale, Glen Johnson and Noe Gonzalez Alcoba.
James Degale was and remains a prospect.
Glen Johnson is so far removed from his prime, the Road Warrior cannot locate it on his GPS.
Finally, Alcoba is an Argentine special- a good fighter, but with a heavily insulated record.

I watched a HBO presentation recently; Cotto vs. Martinez; Face to Face.
In a heated discussion over the purse split, Martinez seemed to label Cotto a “B level” fighter, as he had never beaten an “A level” fighter.
To adopt the Middleweight Champion’s logic; the “A level” at SMW is Andre Ward, the “B level” is Froch, Bika & co.
This would place Groves securely among the C level fighters.

Furthermore; Froch warrants a healthy amount of respect for his pioneering career. He was sought out and contested some of the most vicious bouts in the past 5 years; but for me this was reminiscent of the UK’s fabulous 4 and their monopoly on certain versions of the World title.
It may have been a good, entertaining fight with a jaw dropping finish, but it was safely at home against a boxer that should not have posed the threat that he did. Froch made a better job of beating more esteemed competition in the past… how far has he fallen?

I’m not going to lie - I haven’t seen much of Froch. I heard about the knockout, and that’s cool, but man, who the fuck is it against?

Guys clamoring for him to fight GGG or Andre Ward - who are incredibly talented fighters with extensive amateur records - are asking for an early grave for him.

I don’t like to disparage high level pros, but I am more than willing to go after the UK fans who think their guy is invincible because he was born on one patch of soil as opposed to another. Froch is just another in a long line.

Great post from Donny.

I agree that against GGG or Andre Ward, Froch would be in over his head. His best days are definitely behind him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he retires after this fight and do what few boxers ever achieve and go out on top. However, because of the success of this fight, it is highly likely that he could give it one more go and chase another big purse, this time in Vegas. But, I hope this doesn’t happen.

He finally has the star power that always eluded him in Britain and, a loss against a guy like GGG or even JCC Jr would make him look like a flash in the pan to the casual fan who don’t realize he’s been the quiet killer for many years. I have a soft spot for him because he succeeds through heart, work ethic and balls rather than natural talent. I really hope he rides off into the sunset and settles down with that pretty little thing that was hanging off his arm after the fight.

On another note, GGG’s black and gold Siberian robe he wears into the ring is the fucking BALLS! There is something seriously wrong with you if you don’t want to wear that thing to work every day.

Froch deserves this career/legacy fight. He should retire - on top

He is the “b” in that division. No shame in being second to ward. A guy who is 2nd p4p only to fmj -

Frochs beat days are behind him but George groves is a Quality fighter imo. As is degale. I believe they’ll both go onto be world champions. Watch this space.

In boxing your as young as the punches you take. And he’s taken a lot. He’s got a granite chin but as ppl have out above, he’s slowed and beginning to whither. Really think now is perfect time to retire.

Side note. Ward couldn’t stop froch if they fiought 120 rounds. He might win every 99% of them, but he’d never stop hum

What a sad way for Martinez career to end. A legend of recent years and his body has consistently betrayed him.

Ahould Floyd rematch cotto and try for the middleweight title?!

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:
What a sad way for Martinez career to end. A legend of recent years and his body has consistently betrayed him.

Ahould Floyd rematch cotto and try for the middleweight title?![/quote]
I had very conflicting feelings before this fight.
(I picked wrong and had Martinez favourite.)
I felt almost guilty as Cotto has long been a favourite and he is the action hero of our generation; we owe him our support & respect.
But for me Sergio was the logical choice.

The size shocked me. Martinez was never puported to be a large middlewight, but I had expected him to be much larger than Miguel. He wasn’t.
Physically he couldn’t contend with Cotto when MC decided to ramp it up. His body was broken down and he was essentially eaten alive in there.

It was very sad.

On the other hand I was so elated for MC. He deserves this.
Miguel Cotto has HoF written all over him.

It never ceases to amaze me how a fighter can seem to get old instantly from one fight to his next. Not that Martinez looked amazing against Murray but, against Cotto, it seemed like he had aged 15 years overnight. It saddens me because, besides being such a gifted fighter, he truly seems to be a decent human being who acts responsibly in his position as a role model especially for troubled youth. I have to admit, I was close to tears watching him in his corner with his body broken pleading with his trainer to give him just one more round to turn the fight around. Heart of a lion. I really hope he gets one more relatively easy fight, maybe down in Argentina, where he can cruise to a win and then retire. I really don’t want everyone’s last image of the mighty Maravilla to be him sitting on his stool in his corner after being so soundly beaten.

Yeah; agreed.
And I wouldve felt the same had it been the reverse!

Two good guys.

Gamboa vs Crawford anyone?!

2 of the best talents in boxing. This is a must watch for true fans of the sweet science?!

Crawfords slick and seems to have a big height advantage. Gamboa seems the more powerful.

Side note. Just how big of a cunt is 50 cent. Anyone see him
Openly admit his fighters inactivity was due to him being busy?! Every interview he does now he tries to put down Floyd. Thinks he’s a real bad ass. He should get in the ring.

Why do these rappers keep calling out Fighters lol. Anyone ti to Floyd? “You do yor fighting in the ring I do mine on the street” lol

And lil wayne trying to start somet Witt maidana!? Maidanas vicious as fuck. Be like putting a lamb to the salubhter

The Crawford fight was a great one. Glad Crawford won, too - I like him a lot. Seems like a good dude. And maybe boxing’s next rising star. He’s willing to put it all on the line, but he’s smart about it.

Crawford was way too big. Shame for gamboa. honestly thought he schooled him in the early part. but that’s boxing.

so disappointed with lara. damn, he ran. was he too respectful? canelo continues to add to his resume.

canelo vs cotto anyone!

let me say, Im a big Floyd fan. but maidana 2? cmon. he beat maidana fighting his fight. why go back there. it was a GOOD fight, but 7 rounds to 5 in mayweathers favour. Floyd should fight cotto at 160 for the belts (wbc and wba?) who the fuck nos lol.