Box Squatting to Help the Deadlift

I am doing box squats as an accessory movement to increase my deadlift only(not my back squat,so depth police please stay out!)

Does the depth of the box matter?

I am thinking a slightly higher than parallel box emulates the starting position of the deadlift more(and this is my weak point)

So is it better to use a higher box?

why are using squats to try and improve you deadlift

If I were you and the start of the deadlift was the weak point of that lift, then you practice that part of the lift. Just do deadlift partials from floor to knee or just above knee height.

Using a box squat to improve deadlifts is like using a canoper to open a bottle of wine.

[quote]bams_101 wrote:
why are using squats to try and improve you deadlift

If I were you and the start of the deadlift was the weak point of that lift, then you practice that part of the lift. Just do deadlift partials from floor to knee or just above knee height.

Using a box squat to improve deadlifts is like using a canoper to open a bottle of wine.[/quote]

Really? Have you tried it?

OP, I find the box squat actually helps my deadlift more than my free squat. I don’t think a high box is a good idea, though, as you do not get enough flexion at the hips to mimmick the deadlift movement.

I get the best results using a narrow stance (I pull conventional) with a box a couple inches below parallel and a high bar. I also make sure to give a good pause at the bottom to diminish the stretch reflex. This obviously is not exactly the same as a deadlift, but it does have a very high carryover effect. I like to follow this movement with RDL’s. It’s a great way to improve your DL while not deadlifting.

Guys,

Not so fast! If you are a conventional DLer box squatting won’t help your dl a great deal unless you have some serious overall weaknesses or are a newbie. But if you are a sumo puller low box squats will help your pull off the floor like nothing else.

If you are a conventional puller, doing dls while standing on 45lb plates or 1-2 inch platform of some sort is option 1. Keep reps at 3-5. 2-3 sets either as assistance or as the main dl workout most of the time.

Then you can do pulling squats, which are basicly high bar squats with a dl stance done very deep to a pause.

i would also check leg imbalances. Try doing some bulgarian squats and make sure oth legs are equal in strangth and stability.

last thing is to do some ab work with feet on the floor. Pushing or pulling vehicles or sleds, standing cable abs, med ball throws.

Good luck.

One last thing, when my squat goes up, so does my meet dl, although as my squat workouts get better my dl workouts peter out a bit from fatigue.

[quote]Doenitz79 wrote:
I am doing box squats as an accessory movement to increase my deadlift only(not my back squat,so depth police please stay out!)

Does the depth of the box matter?

I am thinking a slightly higher than parallel box emulates the starting position of the deadlift more(and this is my weak point)

So is it better to use a higher box?
[/quote]

I’d agree with absolutely everything Jack Reape said. Conventional it won’t do much, for sumo a low box (say an inch or more under parallel) will help. Make sure you do a good long pause too. Touch and go kinda defeats the purpose of improving the deadlift.

The higher box would mimic the position better, but lower uses the same muscles in more or less the same way; it’s hard to break off the box, your midsection is fighting to prevent you caving, and you have to bring your hips a long way to lockout. It’s not the same when it’s higher, everything is a lot easier and you don’t have to “fight” to get into a strong position.

Check out this article
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/supplemental_exercises.htm

[quote]Doenitz79 wrote:
Check out this article

[/quote]

So there you go…

Now comes the part where YOU make the decision on exactly what you are going to do.

[quote]jackreape wrote:
Doenitz79 wrote:
Check out this article

So there you go…

Now comes the part where YOU make the decision on exactly what you are going to do.

[/quote]

I disagree with most of your first post but this is a statement I will always agree with.

Whether it helps his DL or not can only be determined if he himself tries it. One thing I can gaurantee is that if he works hard enough, he will see improvement. Whether or not the improvement is in the desired area is another question, but it will be a learning experience with little downside.

For DLing, a tradition box squat wouldn’t specifically help anymore than any other leg accessory exercise.

That said, Anderson squats would help, both for conventional and sumo styles. From what I can tell, the starting strength needed to get the bar up off the chains in the Anderson does transfer over to the DL.

I would think front squats would help your deadlift more

Closer stance high box squats and a lot of upper back work have probably helped me the most. (Edit to say "…as supplemental movements. The thing that helps the most is to get stronger period.)

Leg press wouldn’t be a bad choice either if you have access to one. Only if you’re pulling conventional tho.