Box Squatting Question?

I have been practicing the form for box squatting and my hams feel tight when I go down.

Do box squats require flexibility?

Also , I heard it is bad form to rock back up, but in videos it looks like guys are rocking to get off the box.

So is it okay to rock or not?

Thanks for any replies.

Get your feet WIDE, toes angled out a bit, and keep your upperbody leaning slightly forward. This will limit the rock you are having.

Yes, going down to the appropriate depth does require some hamstring flexibility, but the hips are the typical culprit. Your hamstrings will most likely feel a stretch if you are sitting back properly. If you need to start with a high box and lower it gradually, do so. The rocking you see on the videos is most likely:
a) the guy is actually rocking
or
b) the person is leading with his head and thrusting his hips forward, which can deceitfully look like a rocking motion on video footage.

Just make sure to briefly relax the hip flexors and to lead with the head and spread the floor.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
Get your feet WIDE, toes angled out a bit, and keep your upperbody leaning slightly forward. This will limit the rock you are having.[/quote]

Thanks. It feels weird right now. I haven’t tried the move with any weight yet.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I am going too low at this point. I tried to initiate the upward movement with my head and I still feel like I am rocking up.

I will try the movement without going so low and see what happens. Thanks again.

Try squatting to parallel first. There is an article here: Box Squatting from Head to Toe. It’ll give you some good advice on how to perform the lift.

Many times, before starting my routine, I box squat with just the bar and concentrate on the form. I’ve found that to be helpful.

Gary

If you think that it is rocking that you see it is probably the leading with the head, push the knees out and spread the floor action that was mention. Please dont push down with your feet, you gotta spread the floor!

[quote]barbender242 wrote:
If you think that it is rocking that you see it is probably the leading with the head, push the knees out and spread the floor action that was mention. Please dont push down with your feet, you gotta spread the floor![/quote]

barbender242,

Thanks. I tried to emphasize pushing the knees out and spreading the floor like you said and it felt a lot better.

I am still trying these without a bar at this point, so things may change when I add weight.

Get the dynamic warm up video by Martin Rooney it will help you with hips and Flex … sounds like you are on the right path …

You also might try and add in the bar. For me, I can’t really squat properly without at least the bar.

very good piont about adding the bar