Box Squats

[quote]flynniec6 wrote:
mejho wrote:
you need to stretch your hamstrings and hip flexors, they are way to tight. That is one of the reasons you are leaning forward and loading the balls of your feet and your lower back.

I don’t disagree but I’m dead curious. Since the hip flexors flex (fold) the hip, how do they limit the ROM of a squat? I ask only to know. I stretch my hip flexors and have noticed the corresponding gain in ROM in the squat. But I’m buggered if I can figure out the why. Any info?[/quote]

find Robertson’s / Cressey’s (?)article titled “Get Your Butt In Gear” for further info. it has helped me IMMENSELY.

BFG

[quote]Marty232 wrote:
It looks like allot of hassle doing all those exercises and I would look funny doing them in the gym.[/quote]

who cares if you look stupid doing things. if it works, makes you lift WEGHT and look good body wise,

JFDI

TBT = total body training. do whole body all times.

best way to train.

OLD SKOOL>

BFG SAID:

“Your two recs are solid, and I especially like the first one. Regarding the second though, due to the lifter’s low experience level and likely corresponding low self awareness, simply watching the video could still be dangerous. How may guys have you seen 3/4 squatting that actually think they are hitting the full ROM? Still, either of your recs are better than simply going off some words and pictures.”

“Marty232 - start with light weight and “grease the groove.” You should not tax your muscles initially, although your hips might feel like you gave birth to a small hippopotamus, and thus you should be able to do this several times a week (damn near every day) until you are comfortable with the movement.”

BFG[/quote]

BFG:

You?re correct, the first is best. A knowledgeable power lifter correcting your form is always best.

Your one line is great

?How many guys have you seen 3/4 squatting that actually think they are hitting the full ROM??

Box Squats totally eliminate that. Again, to quote Dave Tate:

?When performing box squats you never have to guess how low you’re squatting. It’ll always be the same. Think about it: when most people start adding weight to the bar, their squats get higher and higher. You see this all the time in any gym you go to. They look good with the light weights, then begin doing quarter squats when the weight gets heavy. With box squats, you’ll always go low enough.?

To Marty232:

You asked:

Can you guys explain the most important things to do while doing box squats because I don’t understand some of the things that guy is talking about in that article.

You have gotten some really good advice. Stretching your hamstrings and hip flexors is great advice.

Can I give you more?

1. Go light. Start with just the bar until you stretch out and get better at the squat.
  2. Get the two set squat video. It will help. Worse case, PAY a professional coach to teach you.
  3. One thing not mentioned in the article or really not stressed in the tape is the stance. This is why a mentor is nice. The power lifter WIDENED MY STANCE. How far? My feet are 46 inches apart when I squat. I never knew the exact distance and measured it for you. Knowing this, go back and look at the box squat article again and look at the picture of Louie Simmons. How far apart are his feet? Widener than 46 inches
  4. Louie stresses to strengthen you abdominals and lower back. A Westside they do side bends with BODY WEIGHT. They also do straight leg sit ups with weight. I was surprised how hard they are. Louie also mentions, “If they hurt your lower back, it is not because it is a bad exercise. It is because you have a weak lower back.”
  5.  Go to EBAY, Louie Simmons site (Westside Barbell) or Dave Tate?s site and pick up the video.

Do you guys know how many reps and sets I should be doing for building a better but? And can I do building a better but without over training because I’m doing a bodybuilding routine.

[quote]Marty232 wrote:
Do you guys know how many reps and sets I should be doing for building a better but? And can I do building a better but without over training because I’m doing a bodybuilding routine.[/quote]

What routine are you doing? If it is not off this site, could you please type it out?

Legs
Squats
Leg Press
Stiff Leg Dead lifts
Standing Machine Calf Raises
45? Leg Press Calf Raises

1. Chest/Triceps
    Flat Barbell Bench Press
    Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
    Dips

Cable Push-downs
Lying Triceps Extensions