Box squats

Training in a commercial gym and not having access to special bars I am wondering if there are anyways I can get around the wrist pain I get while doing box squats…By the time I finish my speed work on the box my wrist are almost to fried to work up to a heavy double.

I sprained both of my wrists riding a snowmobile a while ago, so I know how painful squats can be on the wrists! I found that wrapping them with tape works wonders. I’m sure normal wrist wraps would help as well.

Good luck,
Ryan

i just grip the bar as wide as i can and use a thumb less grip on the bar also. this has helped alot with the shoulder pain i was experiencing from squatting. how about performing wrist curls or bending your wrists during your extra workouts while barbell curling or doing pulldowns/rows etc. maybe by strengthening up your wrist flexors they would better be able to withstand the load of the barbell. i remember charles staley writing about how he used wrist curls to stop the pain cause by heavy power cleans

shank…this is very common and i have to fight through it all the time…it is not wrist strength or size it is just part of the game…just like concussions are part of the game in the nfl…and guess what they have these things called helmets ot protect them…and we have something to protect us also its called wrsit wraps …GET SOME LOL…if you let your ego tell you not to wear them you will deal with pain and never get better…i put them on at around 275 on ever exersice i do…because wearing wrist wrap gives me pain releif from elbow tendon pain and bicep tendon pain along with keeping my wrists healthy so i can push it to the max and get stronger all the time…if some one thinks i am a pussy for wearing them i dontcare cause i will still be getting stronger when i am 30 and he will have quit lifting due to wrist or elbow problems…i ahve been in your shoes done millions of sets of wrist curls tried every thing and i never wear straps when i lift…but i finally got smart and started using wraps…bm

i meant to say snippdawg…sorry shank…bm

Thanks I will give the wraps a try.

I have to second everything BM said in his post. Ever since I strted using wrist wraps in my squat and even heavy GM’s I have seen more consistent gains in each and without the discomfort and inevitable damage to my wrist. They make one hell of a difference. Give em’ a try.

Phill

big martin, i find your post incredibly interesting, i never thought of comparing equipment such as wrist wraps and briefs, to the equipment in football and it’s protective benefits. i have always viewed things like that as cheating, so that you can lift more weight without necessarily being stronger. that is the same mentality that has always kept me away from using a belt or bench shirts or wrist straps. however, you present the equipment as more of a protective mechanism and not a performance enhancing one. please don’t take anything in this post critically, i just find that your reasoning is completely different from how i have ever thought before.

Are these wrist wraps the same ones used when deadlifting to help your grip? If so, how do you wear them for squats and GMs to alleviate wrist pain/strain?

shanks…i guess i fell strong about it because i have lived it first hand…when i first started powerlifting i thought just like you…i said i am only going to lift raw or in the usapl becuase i beleived in the purity fo the sport…within 6 months of training my mind completely changed…i had more injuries training seriously for a powerlifting meet than i had had in my whole athletic life…it was at this point where i started to fell powerlifting wasnt worth it…gear changed my lifting life for life…i havent had any injuries since i started using it more…to me it became part of the game…it is truly a extreme sport and with any extreme sport body protection is very important if you plan to stay in the sport very long…to me lifting weights and getting stronger is all that matters and i cant lift to get stronger if i am hurt…and if wrsitwraps, bench shirt, a sq suit and breifs keep me healthy LIKE THEY HAVE …then thats all that matters to me…and lets face it i am not bodybuilding here i am lifting weights in the 90-110% range and doing high velocity speed work week in and week out…and i want to keep it way lol…bm

shanks…i guess i fell strong about it because i have lived it first hand…when i first started powerlifting i thought just like you…i said i am only going to lift raw or in the usapl becuase i beleived in the purity fo the sport…within 6 months of training my mind completely changed…i had more injuries training seriously for a powerlifting meet than i had had in my whole athletic life…it was at this point where i started to fell powerlifting wasnt worth it…gear changed my lifting life for life…i havent had any injuries since i started using it more…to me it became part of the game…it is truly a extreme sport and with any extreme sport body protection is very important if you plan to stay in the sport very long…to me lifting weights and getting stronger is all that matters and i cant lift to get stronger if i am hurt…and if wrsitwraps, bench shirt, a sq suit and breifs keep me healthy LIKE THEY HAVE …then thats all that matters to me…and lets face it i am not bodybuilding here i am lifting weights in the 90-110% range and doing high velocity speed work week in and week out…and i want to keep it way lol…bm

tim we are talking about wrsit wraps that support the wrist…you are thinking of straps for your grip…bm