T Nation

Box Squats Progression

My legs are matchsticks.

Up until I read Dave Tate’s box squats article last night, I had been performing squats with poor form and sacrificed depth. Today I tried box squats for the first time and I preferred them as a nice way to improve my posterior chain before I start squatting again.

My goal is leg mass. What rep scheme would be ideal for this? I’m flirting between 5x5 and 10x3, mixing them up every few weeks or so. Either way, I want to be deep squatting ASAP. However, I do understand that it will take some time. What do you all recommend?

If you want to squat deep, why do you need a box???When your hamstrings hit your calves you’re deep enough.

TNT

I’m neither strong nor flexible enough to do that yet.

Wouldn’t box squatting increase my posterior chain strength, hopefully one day allowing me to squat deep w/o a box?

[quote]engerland66 wrote:
I’m neither strong nor flexible enough to do that yet.

Wouldn’t box squatting increase my posterior chain strength, hopefully one day allowing me to squat deep w/o a box?[/quote]

Mate, my advice would be to stretch and work other parts of your legs to help your squat (good mornings, leg press/curls etc). If you want to deep squat, lower the weight and DEEP SQUAT!!! Then you can build from there. However, other ppl on here may have different advice.

all the best!

Deep squatting without the proper strength and flexibility is just dangerous, as too many beginners will round the lower back near the bottom of the squat. By using a box, you are strengthening these muscles and increasing your flexibility. Box squats have been shown to be an effective training tool for both beginners and experienced lifters.

in this guys honest opinion, box squats are not for beginners or intermediates. you need to do unweighted full squats. this will provide the stretching and strengthening that you require.

Again, if you want to squat DEEP,get a broomstick and do OVERHEAD squats. Start with 10 sets of 10. EVERY DAY!!!
Add 10 more each day, EVERYDAY!!!It doesn’t matter if the 10 more is in reps or sets. At the end of 1 month you will be squatting deep. The box doesn’t make you strong and flexible no more than the broomstick will make you strong and flexible. YOU will make yourself strong and flexible.
Don’t forget…EVERYDAY!!!
Good luck.

TNT