T Nation

Box Squats, Glute/Ham Activation

Hi,

Per my recent threads that I posted on squatting, several people suggested using box squatting to get down the glute/ham activation portion of a squat. I tried them last week and enjoyed them, but my question is:

How long does it generally take before box squats have given you that strong mind-muscle connection? I assume it varies for everyone, but generally how long did it take anyone here who used them for this purpose.

I really do like them, I think I may be able to box squat more than I can squat normally.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
Hi,

Per my recent threads that I posted on squatting, several people suggested using box squatting to get down the glute/ham activation portion of a squat. I tried them last week and enjoyed them, but my question is:

How long does it generally take before box squats have given you that strong mind-muscle connection? I assume it varies for everyone, but generally how long did it take anyone here who used them for this purpose.

I really do like them, I think I may be able to box squat more than I can squat normally. [/quote]

If you can do more than you squat normally, then you are doing them incorrectly (assuming we are talking WSB style box squats, which will definitely overload the glutes and hams).


[quote]Stronghold wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:
Hi,

Per my recent threads that I posted on squatting, several people suggested using box squatting to get down the glute/ham activation portion of a squat. I tried them last week and enjoyed them, but my question is:

How long does it generally take before box squats have given you that strong mind-muscle connection? I assume it varies for everyone, but generally how long did it take anyone here who used them for this purpose.

I really do like them, I think I may be able to box squat more than I can squat normally.

If you can do more than you squat normally, then you are doing them incorrectly (assuming we are talking WSB style box squats, which will definitely overload the glutes and hams).


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHco1vSVibg&feature=related [/quote]

that confuses me. I’ve always thought that you would squat more on a box squat than you would a full squat. It’s why I’m not too worried that in my time off for the first time I’m coming back to a full squat of 285.

I don’t think EVERYONE is weaker in box squats, but the vast majority are. It’s because the form is new, the hips are not as strong as they need to be (in other words you’re starting handicapped, not at ground level), and it’s weird feeling.

If you’re doing as much or more weight than when you’re regular squatting the first time you try it, it generally means 1 of a few things–

  1. your form’s perfect (super rare)

  2. your regular squat is super low (also rare)

  3. your hips are strong and firing

  4. your form is off and you’re divebombing onto the box, or turning it into a good morning, or rocking/bouncing off of it.

That being said, it’s fairly easy to work up to more than you normally squat after you’ve been using a box for a while. You have to give the hips a while to acclimate and get used to being hammered so much, and to grow.

I think that its safe to say that if you are performing box squats the “westside way”, then your box squat will be weaker than your free squat. Even the westside guys, who ONLY box squat in training are weaker on box squats than free squats.

This is all assuming that you are sitting back onto the box, deloading your hips, and then using your glutes and hams to propel you off of the box without excessive rocking.

maybe the box is relatively high?

[quote]lavi wrote:
maybe the box is relatively high?[/quote]

Yes, when the box is slightly above parallel you can really load up. Though I understand this is not how WSB does it, it still has its place.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
I think that its safe to say that if you are performing box squats the “westside way”, then your box squat will be weaker than your free squat. Even the westside guys, who ONLY box squat in training are weaker on box squats than free squats.

This is all assuming that you are sitting back onto the box, deloading your hips, and then using your glutes and hams to propel you off of the box without excessive rocking.[/quote]

It’s worth noting that I’m box squatting because I can’t seem to get the glute/ham activation portion of normal BB squatting down. My regular squat number is shit.

i too am interested in this. i noticed i have a lot of trouble activating my glutes/hams so have tried to incorporate heavy ass box squats IN GEAR. i have been doing raw DE box squats for a while tho…

I just started doing box squats again and noticed I was kind of falling the last couple of inches onto the box. I read an article where Louie said that they will start beginners off on a higher box if needed. (It may have been Dave Tate that said this).

So I put some 45’s under the box and opened up my stance which seemed to help. Try some Supine Bridges to activate your glutes before you start them. Eventually I will drop the box back down, just think my posterior chain is not strong enough to allow me to sit back without dropping right now.

These are rough on my hips but I’m hoping with time and some more mobility work they will loosen up. This video gave me some good info.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1EhW3QVgP0&eurl=http://www.synergy-athletics.com/

Kick Ass