Box Squats Because of Back Injury

I got a slight back injury in late May. I have stopped squatting and dead lifting all together. I have realized that box squats don’t hurt my lower back at all but as a result I feel like my quads are getting under worked. If you have had lower back pain has box squats been a substitute in your training.
BTW I’m a little scared to do pin squats because I don’t want to mess up what I have going now. _

I don’t know what back injury you had, so I’m not sure if a medical professional would say differently.

Personally, I’ve always experienced that front squats dont jack up my lower back.

1 Like

I love them but you lose “Time Under Tension” when you do box squats.
My advise is you find a way to rehab your back and make your back stronger. Making your whole body bigger and stronger and letting your lower back get weaker and weaker will not work. Years ago, I thought the same thing and became a train wreck.
10-12 years ago, I started with deadlifts off boxes with the bar just below the knees. And then good mornings standing a way from the wall with my back to wall. Slowly bending my butt rearwards til I touched the wall and then back up.
Front squats are the best for quads, but they still leave out the lower back.
I really encourage you to address the problem once you are past the injury stage.

front squats have a longer moment arm for your lower back but they also hurt.

As someone who has hurt their lower back as well, it would do you well to stay on top of prehab and rehab techniques.

Consult your doc, see what it is exactly that’s been hurt, and to what degree.

If it isn’t serious, just take it easy, but I wouldn’t give up squatting and deadlifting altogether. Those movements can still continue to strengthen the area that is susceptible to injury. It may be uncomfortable, and unless they’re causing you intense, debilitating pain, keep at the deads and squats. You can dial down intensity, frequency, and volume as well, or how you see fit.

Sometimes squatting and deadlifting cause issues because form isn’t where it should be, or one or more muscles and their respective units arent putting in work properly, overcompensating, or not strong enough altogether.

Dial in technique down to the last small detail. Check for anterior and/or posterior pelvic tilt. Sometimes they don’t contribute to any discomfort, but they can. Heat and ice are also things to not skip over. Pick which one or both that suit your needs.

What type of training do you do, if I may ask?

1 Like

I train in whatever way I want. For my bench I do more of a power lifting style. For my squat I also do more of a power lifting style. But dead lifts I like to use the trap bar because it feels a lot better than conventional. I still will train other muscles in a bodybuilding way, so I’m all over the board. The injury in my back isn’t serious, it is just an aching pain if I squat or do leg raises off the floor. I will stick to training my lower back plus I will to high handle trap bar dead lifts or block pulls if needed. Thanks for the advice.

Anytime.

I would like to add, if your training Style is geared towards PLing, if you’re using higher percentages for lower reps, it does help to kind of go back and forth between higher intensity, and high volume. Concerning squatting and deadlifting.

Back up into the mid to high end of 70% and rack up volume points, then rotate back towards intensity/higher percentages.

I understand conventional can feel downright… unnatural, espeacially if you don’t have proportions for it, maybe trying sumo can help. But it also helps to just train the deadlift. It won’t stop feeling unnatural unless you train the movement frequently. Same for squatting.

Maybe following a more planned out and thorough training program can help too. Kind of get a good rhythm going for the frequency, volume, and intensity that’ll allow you to put on more muscle as well.

1 Like

I deadlifted today with the trap bar and all my back pain is gone. I lost a little strength but that will come back soon. I still won’t do full squats for a little while so I can get a stronger lower back but I’ll be back to squatting very soon.

That’s great!

Keep at it man.

I would say if it quit hurting after your workout, you had a tight muscle that loosened up and got your back some relief. Could be quads, glutes, or hams.
The pain might pop back up tomorrow, but you’ll know that it just needs worked and stretched out again.