T Nation

Box Squat ?

I tried doing some box squats this weekend. I've read the articles I could find but couldn't find an answer to this question.

After I sat on the box I relaxed my hips causing them to tilt back. Then to initiate the upward movement I needed to do a forward tilt almost like I was rocking forward slightly. Is that correct way to start the ascent off the box?

Thanks for you help!

put a plate of brownies in front of you

why don't you give up box squat and
squat Ass To Grass like a real man?

Explain to me why ATG squats are better than box squats?

dumb post

squatting on a box, now thats dumb.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1023821&pageNo=0

"If we didn't have toilets, we'd squat every day to take a dump. Thus, a much smaller percentage of people would suffer from hip and knee problems because they would, at least once a day, spend a significant amount of time utilizing their full ROM.

Now, some parts of the world have toilets with modern plumbing, but with either a) a recessed bowl so you can squat above it as you would a ditch, or b) a toilet seat built so you can stand on it.

when I own a house I am going to implement this system. It sounds stupid, but I know that even if I never train again in my life, I'll still have to squat at least once a day."

source: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1023821&pageNo=0

The article you reference doesn't dispute the use of box squats. It merely says that going full range of motion has benefits.

So, I'll ask, what is wrong with box squats.

I don't rock on the box. When I am ready to get off the box I push my traps into the bar and focus on pushing my feet out. This keeps me going in a straight line up, rather than rocking forward.

Another Question by me:

How do I learn to drive with the upper back first?
I always tend to lift of my ass first which is not so good I think.

Sure but im not using full ROM in those squat lest I want a brown mond touching my ass. Im eating a ton of food and the sheer volume of what I pass proves it LOL

New to Elite fits brown mound squatting a sure DE movement.

Well now that you recognize it you fix it right now it will be mental tell yourt self to tighten that back lift the head first ALWAYS the body will follow the head. after toins of reps of this it will become routine.

I will say that there have been studie that show western toilets can lead to prostate health probs all the pressure and time spent there. It wasnt meant to be.

Im in thailand and they have those damn hole in the floor toilets but I aint buying it. Still use my western style crapper, fire off that bad boy like a box squat as well. Prcatice make perfect. Ill save the free squatting for the gym and occasional camping trip.emergency thank you.

Simmons says they used to rock, and even pick their feet up off the floor. It depends on whether you are an arching type squatter like Westside or more of an Ed Coan "spread the groin" squatter.

Box squats are much easier on your body then regular squats. The recovery time is much quicker and less hard on your joints. Being a powerlifter I do box squats constantly because and only really do free squats when i max or in a competition.

Tate advocates for box squats. I'm no ass kisser but I know he has a heavier squat than probably anyone on T-Nation. Take advice from someone who is in a class wholly different than yours. A superior one.

huh?

Why not do both?

For the record I normally do squat ATG...at least since I've been looking at this site. But after reading some articles and wanting to try something different I tried box squats for some variety. I was using a 12" box so it's not like I wasn't going low.

Because I was a lot weaker with the box squats...I mean a lot weaker I probably need to work on my starting strength. I'm going to do them again this week and work on driving up with my head first.

Thanks for the tips.

For the record I normally do squat ATG...at least since I've been looking at this site. But after reading some articles and wanting to try something different I tried box squats for some variety. I was using a 12" box so it's not like I wasn't going low.

Because I was a lot weaker with the box squats...I mean a lot weaker I probably need to work on my starting strength. I'm going to do them again this week and work on driving up with my head first.

Thanks for the tips.

For someone who is a beginner in olympic lifting, you seem to already be an expert. Bravo my friend, bravo.