T Nation

Box Squat Weight

Last night I did box squats for the first time, and I loved 'em. My question is, is it normal to box squat more than you back squat? My back squat max right now is 405 to parrallel, and I could’ve got that last night for a triple [doing ws4sb]. I also had been doing only front squats for 3 weeks, so maybe the break led to increased strength? The box was 18in. Thanks.

In my limited experience, it is reasonable to box squat more than one free squats with a box of that height. With a box of about 18 inches, I think I generally can get about 15-20 lbs. more than usual.

However, the difficulty increases with a lower box. I suspect with a box of about 12 inches or lower, it would be harder than a free squat. It is of course valuable to use boxes of all different heights, just make sure you’re pausing on the box for 5 seconds or so.

with a box that high for sure drop that bay down to below parallel and be humbled brother

Phill

If your box squat is easier than your free squat, then your box is too high.

Lower the height of the box. Your box squat weight ought to be lower than your free squat weight.

For the record, I use an 8" box, and I’m 6’2".

I still have trouble squatting with the Sunday paper on a box of 11"… Drop the height till you’re below parallel and pause on the box for a second while relaxing your hip flexors.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Last night I did box squats for the first time, and I loved 'em. My question is, is it normal to box squat more than you back squat? My back squat max right now is 405 to parrallel, and I could’ve got that last night for a triple [doing ws4sb]. I also had been doing only front squats for 3 weeks, so maybe the break led to increased strength? The box was 18in. Thanks.[/quote]

Like Phil said, 18 inches is way too high. I can get exactly parallel with a 15 inch box. Also, you might be bouncing or rocking off the box. Make sure you fully pause so you build explosive power out of the hole.

As Chris Clark said on EFS, “Don’t do anything with the box that you can’t do with a free squat”

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
If your box squat is easier than your free squat, then your box is too high.

Lower the height of the box. Your box squat weight ought to be lower than your free squat weight.

For the record, I use an 8" box, and I’m 6’2". [/quote]

You have to take stance into the equation.

An 8 inch box would be virtually impossible for me to sit on even on a great day of flexibility.

I have a super wide stance.

But to the OP. Make sure you vary your boxes, but there’s nothing wrong with a high box once in a while, it’s akin to a board press.

A lot of places don’t have any sort of box shorter than 18 inches. My school had a super high box for psychometrics then a 20 inch box and a 6 or 8 inch box. The six inch box being for killer squats or pussy plyo workouts.

My current gym only has benches and we all know they’re 18’ Use whatever weight you feel comfortable with on box squats. If you are doing more on box than conventional, check and make sure you’re not accidentally doing a goodmorning/squat combo…

Unless you have long limbs and there’s no other way for you to squat.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
a 6 or 8 inch box. The six inch box being for killer squats or pussy plyo workouts.
[/quote]

So stack something on top of the 8 inch box. If you train in a commercial gym, you will have to be creative to make things work.

One dude said to pause for at least 5 seconds, this is unnecessary. Pausing longer than normal is cool every now and then to work on really staying tight on the box and for bottom end work, but 5 seconds is still too long.

And the dude who squats off an 8inch box is fuckin crazy! A low box is a good variation every now and then, but for most squat training a parallel or slightly below will do.

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
With a box of about 18 inches, I think I generally can get about 15-20 lbs. more than usual.

[/quote]

Shit, off 18 inches, I’ve hit close to 200 pounds more than my free squat. Eighteen inches is pretty high.

Also, for those having trouble finding a box, you can use an adjustable decline bench like above, if your gym has one. Sit on the “head” side of the bench, the part closer to the ground. Just make sure you are sitting back far enough on it as to not cause the bench to tip over. It’s not perfect but it can work.

Or you could go to the hardware store and build a box, that you can keep and take with you forever and ever. To adjust the box height use cheap rubber floor mats and stack them to your desired height. 18" box is a skyscraper, good for supermax loads.

As others have implied, my post about the 8" box was stupid.

WhiteFlash, I’m using that low a box for a specific purpose and I should’ve mentioned that. Sorry about that.

Your 18" box is high, but you don’t need to go all the way down to an 8" box unless you’re trying to work on bottom-end strength like I am.