Box Squat Weight

Do people normally use more or less weight in the box squat compared to the regular squat?

Does anyone on the forum squat regularly early in the week and then box squat later in the week?

Your 1RM box squat will always be less than your 1RM free squat unless the box is above parallel.

Yea, assuming that you’re going to the same height, the box squat should be less.

I’ve never done free weight squats and box squats to the same depth in the same week. Box squats are easier to recover from, so keep that in mind in your planning.

What would be the purpose of performing box squats and free squats in the same week?

-MAtt

Like Matt said the box will be less you are to unlock the hips you lose any stretch reflex so have to use all muscle to come from a dead stop. Wher as a free squa unless you take a LONG [pause will have built up tension in the tendons etc that help get out of the hole.

Um not regularly I have and will do say Heavy ME box squats then maybe speed squats or jumping squats. But I like to mix it up if I go heavy Squat on me then like a speed DL.

Then sometimes throw in a set or two of front squats it just depends.

what would be your reasoning to do so?? Goal of it??

Phill

I useless in the box squat also.
As for doing them in the same week;I have when following the BFS system. It advocates a regular squat and an alternative squat like a front squat or a box squat each week.

[quote]OKLAHOMA STATE wrote:
Do people normally use more or less weight in the box squat compared to the regular squat?
[/quote]
I use less for my box squat than I do for the regular back squat.

[quote]
Does anyone on the forum squat regularly early in the week and then box squat later in the week?[/quote]

I would say 95% of the Westside Lifters. ME day early in the week, DE later. Box squats work a treat form me on the DE day.

i box squat way more than i free squat.
I think its because i utilize a very wide stance during box squats. i can box squat 485 at 160 but can only free squat around 360ish.

• Frank

[quote]digitalairair wrote:
i box squat way more than i free squat.
I think its because i utilize a very wide stance during box squats. i can box squat 485 at 160 but can only free squat around 360ish.

• Frank[/quote]

What is the height of your box?

parallel for me, i paused on it too. I can do at least 430 a inch below parallel too, but theres no way i can squat that much without the box.
I think what a box does for me is a support and something i can push off of. But i think it has more to do with stance. I squat close stance without the box

What’s the height of the box everyone else uses? I used to squat with a plyometric box that came up to the bottom of my kneecap. After pushing it away and falling in the safety of the squat rack for the 3rd time I switched to the 12 inch box and haven’t had any problems…aside from a 90 pound loss to my max squat.

[quote]bananaphone wrote:
What’s the height of the box everyone else uses? I used to squat with a plyometric box that came up to the bottom of my kneecap. After pushing it away and falling in the safety of the squat rack for the 3rd time I switched to the 12 inch box and haven’t had any problems…aside from a 90 pound loss to my max squat.[/quote]

Are you saying your regular back squat went down when you started box squatting? Or that your box squat went down when you lowered the box?