T Nation

Box Jumping 101

Soâ?¦

Im all set up to box jump, but I was wondering about technique. I may be over thinking thisâ?¦ maybe all I need to do is to walk up to the box and jump.

Apparently one is meant to “load” the hips and use hpi extension in the jump. From my understanding one has to place weight more towards the heals while posterior loading, yet you are meant to jump of your toes??

Anyway, what cues do you use for box jumping? Any tips?

tweet

What is your goal with box jumping.

[quote]tom1961 wrote:
What is your goal with box jumping.[/quote]
I know I try to land on the box.

[quote]tom1961 wrote:
What is your goal with box jumping.[/quote]
Develop power.

tweet

You’re an athlete. I’m pretty sure you don’t need to learn how to jump… At least I hope so. If you do…

• stand in front of the box, feet shoulder width apart.
  • quickly dip down into a quarter squat, with your hips back, your heels on the ground and your hands down and back.
  • explode up, straightening your hips, knees and ankles (AKA triple extension) and throwing up your arms to gain even more momentum.

Or, you know, try to jump onto a box in a way that feels right and you’ll probably do these things automatically.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
You’re an athlete. I’m pretty sure you don’t need to learn how to jump… At least I hope so. If you do…

• quickly dip down into a quarter squat, with your hips back, your heels on the ground and your hands down and back.
  • explode up, straightening your hips, knees and ankles (AKA triple extension) and throwing up your arms to gain even more momentum.

Or, you know, try to jump onto a box in a way that feels right and you’ll probably do these things automatically.[/quote]
Thanks for the tip.

Do you box jump yourself?

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

Or, you know, try to jump onto a box in a way that feels right and you’ll probably do these things automatically.[/quote]
Thanks for the tip.

Do you box jump yourself?

tweet
[/quote]

Not always. Box jumps followed by squatting is a killer combination in theory, but my lifting shoes are a bit too big for my feet and I’m scared of tripping on the box edge. I think the tallest one I’ve used was 43" - those were actually two boxes stacked atop each other; the gym personnel would always tell me it looked risky and it was.

Make sure the object you’re using is stable and solid, if you can.
Also, don’t jump off, climb off. breaking a fall is very high impact for the joints, so do not do it if you don’t have to.

one thing my conditioning coach always preached about the box-jumps was in regards to the landing.

He always made us re-do it until we were consistently nailing silent or close to silent landings. I’m assuming it lends itself to safety of the knees and joints since you’ll be trying to land with bent knees.

1 Like