Box Jump Numbers

I’ve hit 55" at 6’1 210 from standing. Last time my vert was measured it was 36" standing.

Quads do no doubt help a box jump, but joe d focuses his athletes strengths on box squats and that they’re not doing too bad.

[quote]DaveyD wrote:
I’ve hit 55" at 6’1 210 from standing. Last time my vert was measured it was 36" standing.[/quote]

What’s your squat?

[quote]Bloobird wrote:
Pistol Pete wrote:
This might be a dumb question…but…Do you guys think box squats have a better carry over to jumping ability as opposed to regular squats.

Nope, the quads are EXTREMELY underrated when it comes to jumping, and box squats tend to under-develop them. Regular back squats are probably the best option for building the strength required to jump high.[/quote]

Actually disagree. Box squats are excellent for power and jump strength. Push jerks, cleans and power cleans are also great for explosive power. Your CNS is what fires your muscles, so obviously you need to train the CNS aside from your physical muscle tissue if you wanna run fast and jump high. Regular back squats are great for overall strength of the jumping muscles which are needed, but if you have to do one or the other to jump high, it’s better to do box squats. A little variation to back squats is to explode up as fast and as hard as possible rather than just trying to lift the weight. Whenever I lift my legs especially squat type movements, I try to explode up as hard/fast as possible. I actually come off the ground a little squatting 315+.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
lololololol elite box jumps?

what’s next? “What are elite level skipping numbers?”

[/quote]

Yeah, elite or professional athlete. Or better yet, best of the best or top-level box jump numbers. Sorry for the confusion.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
lololololol elite box jumps?

what’s next? “What are elite level skipping numbers?”

[/quote]

I guess at that point we would call it Triple Jumping?

Here’s one for you guys: I don’t have anything at my house that’s good for box jumps (I do all my lifting at home with a squat rack and adjustable bench) so I jump up my stairs instead. Can anyone land clean on the sixth stair from a standstill? I can hit five no problem, but six is a long way off still. The added element of horizontal distance on top of the height required makes this one pretty tough. Try it out and let’s see how everyone does. On my stairs, to land cleanly on the fifth stair means a vertical distance of 33 inches and a horizontal jump of 57 inches to the center of the stair. The sixth stair adds another 7.5 inches vertically and 11 inches horizontally.

[quote]artw wrote:
Here’s one for you guys: I don’t have anything at my house that’s good for box jumps (I do all my lifting at home with a squat rack and adjustable bench) so I jump up my stairs instead. Can anyone land clean on the sixth stair from a standstill? I can hit five no problem, but six is a long way off still. The added element of horizontal distance on top of the height required makes this one pretty tough. Try it out and let’s see how everyone does. On my stairs, to land cleanly on the fifth stair means a vertical distance of 33 inches and a horizontal jump of 57 inches to the center of the stair. The sixth stair adds another 7.5 inches vertically and 11 inches horizontally.[/quote]

Yup, I just managed to do that, and my stairs are the same size as yours.

I recently measured my standing vertical at 34-35 inches, and my best box jump is 56 inches. What is strange is that I’m 5’9". I’m pretty sure that taller guys than me should have over 20" difference between the two jumps, so 55+ inches box jump is in the area of possibility for not-so-small part of the guys here.

While I was looking for a video of my box jumping (I found nothing, I should make one), I stumbled upon this hilarious picture of me in my crazy ninja mode, LOL (around 52 inches that one):
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/541/p1203081646th7.jpg

The more flexible you are the greater your box jump is going to be.

The VJ is the ‘king’ of measurement.

BTW a ‘running box jump’ is COMPLETELY different from a ‘standing box jump’.

Bro can grab a bball rim and he’s only 5’5 with normal limb lengths.

5’10, 85kg I jumped 138.5cm.

Anything over 130cm is solid imo.

Koing

5` 6" male at 40 years old and I did a 44" box jump today.