Bowden's Living Low Carb Book?

Hey guys,

I’m trying to shed some fat, and keep muscle mass. I heard some good things about Jonny Bowden’s book. Living Low Carb. I’ve tried seaching the forums but I found no matching results. Just need to know if it’s a bad idea to follow the diet plans promoted in the book, for recreational bodybuilders?

Thanks for your time!

Low-carb is never good for bodybuilders unless you are prepping for a show. Carb cycling would be a pretty good idea. Or you can just eat a shitload of healthy food.

You don’t have to follow an exclusively low-carb diet to utilize low-carb recipies.

I haven’t seen this cook book, but why would you think it wouldn’t be of benefit?

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Low-carb is never good for bodybuilders unless you are prepping for a show. Carb cycling would be a pretty good idea. Or you can just eat a shitload of healthy food.[/quote]

In the past I would agree, but the GSD is a great low-carb diet that is providing fantastic results for me.

Johny Bowden’ book would certainly be worthwhile…BUT re using a low carbs diet, it depends on whether YOU need a low carb diet t progress. Been a bodybuilder wont determine whether the diet strategies will suite your or not.

Without getting tested you will have to give it a test yourself and assess your results accordingly. Try low carbs consistanty for a couple months and see progress or lack of.

Eg, I function great on low carbs thanks to been so fucking insulin resistant but I know others who would pass out if they reduced their carb intake too much.

GJ

I actually just finished reading the revised edition today and I would read it even if you aren’t going to do a full low carb diet. The book is filled with great info, especially on hormones, food myths and what really is harmful to you (low/high carb, ketosis, etc.) He also reviews almost every known diet book out there, and he points out, very fairly, the pros and cons of each. I personally think the Precision Nutrition system is the best “diet” I have ever read about, but sadly he doesn’t review that one. That was my only complaint about the book, but I learned a ton about how the body processes food.

In dieting, I refuse to believe that carb cycling is the end all be all for anyone (bodybuilder, average joe and anyone in between). Everyone is different, and if you read the book, that would be hammered home pretty well. I have tried many diets, and consistently low carbs have yielding the greatest success for me. This is probably due to poor insulin sensitivity. My greatest results were on the V diet, but that was for the last 10-15 lbs to get shredded. I used low carbs to drop 50 lbs to begin with. On the contrary I know a few of my friends can eat carbs all day, eat fast food, and look jacked.

Every time I carb cycle I feel like crap actually, so experiment with yourself. Eat a high carb breakfast one day, and note how you feel. Do the same with a low carb one. The key to success in fitness IMHO is finding what works for you, and the quicker the better. No one likes to waste time, so get to it.

how many Gs of carbs would i aim for for a “high carb” breakfast? and would i be looking for higher GI (pancakes, maple syrup) or lower GI (oats) carbs?

thanks

im thinking im carb intolerant the more i experiment with my diet…

I would shoot for at least 50… give oatmeal, a banana and some whey a shot.

[quote]rmull61 wrote:
I actually just finished reading the revised edition today and I would read it even if you aren’t going to do a full low carb diet. The book is filled with great info, especially on hormones, food myths and what really is harmful to you (low/high carb, ketosis, etc.) He also reviews almost every known diet book out there, and he points out, very fairly, the pros and cons of each. I personally think the Precision Nutrition system is the best “diet” I have ever read about, but sadly he doesn’t review that one. That was my only complaint about the book, but I learned a ton about how the body processes food.

In dieting, I refuse to believe that carb cycling is the end all be all for anyone (bodybuilder, average joe and anyone in between). Everyone is different, and if you read the book, that would be hammered home pretty well. I have tried many diets, and consistently low carbs have yielding the greatest success for me. This is probably due to poor insulin sensitivity. My greatest results were on the V diet, but that was for the last 10-15 lbs to get shredded. I used low carbs to drop 50 lbs to begin with. On the contrary I know a few of my friends can eat carbs all day, eat fast food, and look jacked.

Every time I carb cycle I feel like crap actually, so experiment with yourself. Eat a high carb breakfast one day, and note how you feel. Do the same with a low carb one. The key to success in fitness IMHO is finding what works for you, and the quicker the better. No one likes to waste time, so get to it.[/quote]

Thanks a lot for the help. I’ve got the Precision Nutrition book. I’ve just started using there methods.