Bouncing on the feet

[quote]LondonBoxer123 wrote:
I like Katie Taylor as a boxer, and think she comes across well as a person. I do also think she wastes a lot of energy in that video. Fine in an amateur bout, if you like that sort of thing, but personally I don’t think it translates well into the pro ranks. I think a stalking, economical boxer would make her life very uncomfortable, and any one else’s who boxes like her.

Just my penny’s worth.[/quote]
Definitely agreed London.
Actually an interesting contrast. Katie actually boxes a similar to style that I do- I guess thats being Irish :ad
But rigondeaux is what I aspire to.

Sofia Ochigava gave Taylor fits imo

Ye definitely, although Ochigava is every bit as bad as Katie Taylor for wasting energy and moving unnecessarily. I was screaming ‘stand still woman’ at my TV for most of the fight.

Rigondeaux is my kind of fighter. He has great poise and very solid defensive skills, but is always looking to get his weight on his front foot and stalk an opponent down. You can see the menace in everything he does in the ring. It all looks so deliberate and efficient. Very very good fighter and one I’ve definitely tried to learn from. You said that he was in your gym with Katie Taylor, did you get to go in the ring with him?

Ye definitely, although Ochigava is every bit as bad as Katie Taylor for wasting energy and moving unnecessarily. I was screaming ‘stand still woman’ at my TV for most of the fight.[/quote]
Ochigava did a lot of complaining about the judging after the fight.
Her behaviour at the medal ceremony imo was a bit childish, but I think if she set her feet against Taylor she would have scored a lot more openly. Her balance was compromised by… “jittery feet” for lack of a better term.

Terrific fighter and a remarkable athlete.
Yes he visited our club; was only in for a picture :smiley: I’m a middle/supermiddle :smiley:

[quote]donnydarkoirl wrote:

Ye definitely, although Ochigava is every bit as bad as Katie Taylor for wasting energy and moving unnecessarily. I was screaming ‘stand still woman’ at my TV for most of the fight.[/quote]
Ochigava did a lot of complaining about the judging after the fight.
Her behaviour at the medal ceremony imo was a bit childish, but I think if she set her feet against Taylor she would have scored a lot more openly. Her balance was compromised by… “jittery feet” for lack of a better term.

Terrific fighter and a remarkable athlete.
Yes he visited our club; was only in for a picture :smiley: I’m a middle/supermiddle :D[/quote]

Ye with you 100%. She didn’t cover herself in glory, and if she’d set her feet as you say, Taylor would have been in for a rougher ride.

Did you at least pat him on the head and tell him he got off lightly? In the video you posted, if I didn’t know it was him I’d have thought he was a much larger fighter. He a decent lad as well? Class act as a boxer.

Ye with you 100%. She didn’t cover herself in glory, and if she’d set her feet as you say, Taylor would have been in for a rougher ride.

Did you at least pat him on the head and tell him he got off lightly? In the video you posted, if I didn’t know it was him I’d have thought he was a much larger fighter. He a decent lad as well? Class act as a boxer.
[/quote]
That’s very true. I feel she let herself down in the same way as our John Joe Nevin did against Selby. For the final; they just never imposed themselves upon the fight and as a result they didnt attack with conviction enough to get the judges to hit the button.

He actually had very little English, but did his best to communicate. While at the gym, he pretty much took the time to take as many photo’s and sign as many photographs as he could.
He’d definitely dimunitive in terms of height… and as muscular as he is now, I dont see him adding much for a trip to featherweight?

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
it doesn’t make you quicker in foot …

[/quote]

The “bounce” allows the boxer to take advantage of the stretch-shortening cycle.

I found it very well expressed in the charley burley video- efficency of movement.[/quote]

Do you know where I could find this video? I’ve looked around and there is nothing on youtube (there is a great video breaking down the technique of Burley though) and there is nothing through his website that I could find…

[quote]Kirks wrote:
Do you know where I could find this video? I’ve looked around and there is nothing on youtube (there is a great video breaking down the technique of Burley though) and there is nothing through his website that I could find…[/quote]
This may have been removed from youtube (I can’t tell as I at work.)
If It has I’ll have a nose around at home. I should have it to upload again.

[quote]Kirks wrote:
Do you know where I could find this video? I’ve looked around and there is nothing on youtube (there is a great video breaking down the technique of Burley though) and there is nothing through his website that I could find…[/quote]
This may have been removed from youtube (I can’t tell as I at work.)
If It has I’ll have a nose around at home. I should have it to upload again.[/quote]

I can’t find any reference to this video anywhere, I am happy to get it myself if you can point me in the direction of where I can find it.

But if you are able to upload it to youtube that would also be much appreciated.

[quote]Kirks wrote:
I can’t find any reference to this video anywhere, I am happy to get it myself if you can point me in the direction of where I can find it.

But if you are able to upload it to youtube that would also be much appreciated.[/quote]
Is it possible we’re refrencing the same video?

I took this video to the boxing forums some time ago and had some enlightening discussions from it.

Yeah that’s what I was watching. So good. The guy who made that has a bunch of vids on his channel. Including one on Tyson creating angles, Ali and his anchor punch and a bunch of others analysing technique. If you haven had a look I recommend it. Probs not too worth it for you but it’s great for a beginner like me.

[quote]Kirks wrote:
Yeah that’s what I was watching. So good. The guy who made that has a bunch of vids on his channel. Including one on Tyson creating angles, Ali and his anchor punch and a bunch of others analysing technique. If you haven had a look I recommend it. Probs not too worth it for you but it’s great for a beginner like me. [/quote]
Great video man- and a shame that we have such limited footage.

I’ve watched his other videos- great great stuff!

Man we’re all students; the more we knowledge we compile the closer we get to escaping ignorance.
I’m sure I’ll learn as much from you as you can glean from my ramblings.

Late to the party I know. I always preferred the Muay Thai style of transferring weight back and forwards to bouncing. When a fighter that is in front of me is bouncing I always felt I could time them when their weight was off the floor so that they were slower to react. Also agree that it wastes energy.

The issue with the back and forth transfer in Muay Thai can be that it makes the timing of your attacks predictable so I try to work to strike some of the time on an offbeat. You are like a swaying snake hypnotising the oponent into a rhythm before surprising them (well other people who are way better than me at it are anyway)

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
When, how and why did the teaching of bouncing from foot to foot start?

I honestly have never seen any benefit to it unless its being done for a specific purpose, like trying to throw the opponent off the real direction you are taking.

But for most fighters it seems to be purely a waste of energy. You’re not set to punch, it doesn’t make you quicker in foot or hand, and a good opponent will time you so that he hits you when you cannot possibly get power into a counter punch.

If someone has a differing perspective by all means please tell.[/quote]

bouncing around too much is dumb, but it is important to stay in motion because you have quicker reaction time when you are already in motion

This seems to be a pretty neglected topic, so Aussie Davo, thanks for bringing it up.
I’ve been thinking about this issue for a while and I’ve taken perspectives from a number of sources - all coaches really.
Unfortunately i can’t ascertain when this practice was introduced to boxing, but I can appreciate some of the benefits.

1. Movement.
    In movement a boxer can easily compromise their stance, eager to move quickly. “The bounce” when used correctly encourages the boxer to utilise the feet as one unit, retaining distance between the feet and keeping that center of gravity required to move and react.

2. Power.
    The cliche; “sit down on your punches,” isnt such a cliche. It is very difficult to hit hard with straight legs. knees bent, lowering your base and utilising the glutes and flexors to rotate your body is how power is generated.
    But keeping these muscles tense and ready constantly is not only near impossible- its exhausting.
    Boxing from the toes, the bouncing movement means the muscle required are being tensed and relaxed as required; you are ready to strike without tensing up/telegraphing.

3. Endurance.
    Standing in front of an opponent with feet planted on the floor allows the boxer a solid foundation, but from experience the force of the opponents punches is absorbed down through the body’s structure.
    on your toes the exertions of the opponent are more likely to push you away than have the same concussive effect.

4. Rotation.
    It is very difficult to employ leverage correctly with flat feet.
    I’m not explaing anymore though…
    tahst my thing :stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]

It’s also a rhythm thing. When used properly, it will change up your rhythm and keep your opponent guessing. It changes the ‘beat’ of you attack and movements so your opponent cannot time you.

It’s keeps him guessing and it keeps you unpredictable when used properly. The problem is, most don’t use it properly. They do it for show.

Rigo has beautiful footwork BTW.

Sugar Ray Robinson and Sugar Shane Mosley bounced quite a bit when they boxed. I think they did just fine in their careers. It’s a personal perference depending on individual style

[quote]Kirks wrote:

But if you are able to upload it to youtube that would also be much appreciated.[/quote]
Is it possible we’re refrencing the same video?

I took this video to the boxing forums some time ago and had some enlightening discussions from it.[/quote]

awesome video.

I guess my upbringing as a karateka made me bounce like a popcorn. I would just do huge amounts of conditioning to keep the pace. Never thought about keeping still, but it is something to evaluate.

Very interesting. I am going to play with some of these ideas in detail this week.