T Nation

Bouncing Back

Recently I was out of action in weightlifting for three weeks during spring training for football.I started back lifting today.I used to squat 275 for 8-10 reps, whereas today 3 sets with 205 at 8 reps was unusually tough.

My question is how slowly should I try and ease myself back into my routine and weight I was using before spring training.How long should it take to bounce back to where I was at after 3 weeks off?

[quote]MAS50 wrote:
Recently I was out of action in weightlifting for three weeks during spring training for football.I started back lifting today.I used to squat 275 for 8-10 reps, whereas today 3 sets with 205 at 8 reps was unusually tough.

My question is how slowly should I try and ease myself back into my routine and weight I was using before spring training.How long should it take to bounce back to where I was at after 3 weeks off?[/quote]

Were out for 3 weeks due to an injury?

It is best to forget what weight you, use to do. Work on the weights that you can do and build on it.

If it feels light then up it next time. Up it in say 15-20lbs increments. When you can do a given eight for 8-10reps it is time to move on.

Koing

I was out for 3 weeks because the football practices took up my time and I made a concious decision not to go to the gym.I didn’t see the point in wearing myself out through three hour practices and then another hour and a half of heavy lifting.That runs the risk of being too worn out to perform well for the coaches in practice which is the basic reason I weightlift anyway, to be a better football player.I figured I would just pick up where I left off after the 3 weeks were up but I shoulda known better.Anyway thanks for the advice Koing.