T Nation

Bouncing At Bottom Of Squat Bad?

When i go atg with squat i bounce at the bottom, when i go paralell to floor i slow it up, wich one is best?

Don’t bounce.

Pause at the bottom just long enough where you can lift out of the hole without bouncing.

[quote]Avoids Roids wrote:
Don’t bounce.[/quote]

Yup, the potential to really f%#k up your lower back spine is too great.

D

Slow it up with muscle, wait, then stand?

i don’t know about “bouncing” but there’s nothing wrong w/coming right out of the hole. why pause unless your purpose is bypassing stretch reflex ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH-IadDDsK4&search=olympic%20lifting

Bouncing would put additional stress on the knee ligaments.

That doesn’t mean you have to sit down in the hole. Just controll the weight on the way down and there will be no momentum to use for bouncing.

For me, the best compromise between safety and working the quads, glutes and hammies, are 85 degree box squats.

Bouncing at the bottom of a (heavy) squat? That’s like bouncing the bar off your chest on the bench press.

“Drop and pop” is how to maximize stretch reflex and lift the most weight. You still need to be in control but a bit of rebound won’t hurt you.

If you are bodybuilder you are better off going very slow and controlled the whole ROM.

dont bounce, but all the great olympic lifters use a little tendon stretch and explode, looks like a little bouce, but it is hard on the tendons and they need to be conditioned for that kind of movement

[quote]hardcoreukno0359 wrote:
dont bounce, but all the great olympic lifters use a little tendon stretch and explode, looks like a little bouce, but it is hard on the tendons and they need to be conditioned for that kind of movement[/quote]

And you get that that conditioning by… practising squats with a bounce?

its more like a rocking of the knees to get the tendon flex, but start light and work your way up.

If you don’t know the answer to a question, don’t post your thoughts on the subject. Some of you are full of shit.

To the OP: bouncing at the bottom of an atg squat is natural; it’s what your hamstrings do when performing a proper (deep) squat. It is called a stretch reflex.

As Jack said, it has to me somewhat controlled; dive-bombing can cause undue stress.

For further info read Starting Strength.

-J

[quote]swivel wrote:
i don’t know about “bouncing” but there’s nothing wrong w/coming right out of the hole. why pause unless your purpose is bypassing stretch reflex ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH-IadDDsK4&search=olympic%20lifting[/quote]

Swivel, and the guy in the vid squatting 650lbs ATG for 1 rep, have it right.

[quote]JuliusA wrote:
If you don’t know the answer to a question, don’t post your thoughts on the subject. Some of you are full of shit.

To the OP: bouncing at the bottom of an atg squat is natural; it’s what your hamstrings do when performing a proper (deep) squat. It is called a stretch reflex.

As Jack said, it has to me somewhat controlled; dive-bombing can cause undue stress.

For further info read Starting Strength.

-J [/quote]

Notice that this post is in the “Building a Better Body” forum. Therefore, this is best addressed to someone with BB goals. With that in mind, one might consider that the OP may not want to not take advantage of the stretch reflex and lift in a more controlled fashion.

Also, some of us interpret “bouncing” as dropping down fast and exploding up, not controlling the weight down. You said yourself that “dive-bombing can cause undue stress.” Why would you challenge what people say and come back and type a statement stating the same thing? Aside from the first two sentences, you made a good post.