Bouldering

This is what I spent yesterday afternoon doing.

Up until recently there is absolutely no way that I could have navigated something like this, but I did, and I loved it. At the end of the trail I was WIPED, I’ve never been so exhausted, I’m still exhausted today.

I’ve been eating like a horse since last night and I’m still hungry. The entire two hours on the trail I kept telling my wife “thank god for squats, deadlifts and creatine” as I jumped from boulder to boulder, and pushed the limits of my leg, back and arm strength.

Take a look at the photo on the wiki of the cliff face. That thing pops up halfway through the trail, I’ve never climbed anything in my life, and it is as steep and tall as it looks. It was one of the coolest experiences of my life, and I couldn’t have done it with out the hard work I’ve put in at the gym over the last year.

Anyone else go rock climbing, bouldering etc.?

I used to do it all the time. Mostly indoor, but I went to the Red River Gorge a couple of times and got to climb on lead.

I really loved doing it and it kept me from being totally out of shape considering all of my bad habits at the time.

I live pretty close to the biggest climbing gym in OH, under 20 min away I would say and I haven’t visited yet. I’m surprised because that was really all I did physically pretty much for a good year and a half.

I need to start throwing a good day of hard climbing into my routine cause it really does get your back/forearms/fingers/core pretty damn strong.

I dabbled in it a little when I weighed a sleek 180. Now I’m 250. I don’t think physics would allow it to happen. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
I dabbled in it a little when I weighed a sleek 180. Now I’m 250. I don’t think physics would allow it to happen. :P[/quote]

I’m 230lbs and I managed to scramble my fat ass up a 30 foot bluff. It can be done. I’ve never felt so gassed in my life(in a good way). I need to go back and repeat to get a real feel for it, but I’ve got to think theres some benefit in big guys maneuvering their own body weight over tough obstacles and up big rocks.

I used to rock climb at an indoor gym with some friends pretty frequently a year ago, but I haven’t done it in a while. I keep meaning to get back into it, but I need to find some new rock climbing buddies.

It would destroy my hands and grip every time I did it, but I loved how my arms and back would feel afterwards.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
I used to rock climb at an indoor gym with some friends pretty frequently a year ago, but I haven’t done it in a while. I keep meaning to get back into it, but I need to find some new rock climbing buddies.

It would destroy my hands and grip every time I did it, but I loved how my arms and back would feel afterwards.[/quote]

I’m going back to college this fall, my new school apparently has a kickass climbing gym(rock wall and boulders), definitely checking it out.

[quote]atg410 wrote:
AngryVader wrote:

It would destroy my hands and grip every time I did it, but I loved how my arms and back would feel afterwards.

I’m going back to college this fall, my new school apparently has a kickass climbing gym(rock wall and boulders), definitely checking it out.

[/quote]

It is a lot of fun. I really miss doing it. The only problem with the rock climbing gym I go to is that it’s a good 20-30 minutes away. If I had something a little closer to me, then I’d probably be doing it more frequently. I envy you if you have access to something at your school.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
atg410 wrote:
AngryVader wrote:

It is a lot of fun. I really miss doing it. The only problem with the rock climbing gym I go to is that it’s a good 20-30 minutes away. If I had something a little closer to me, then I’d probably be doing it more frequently. I envy you if you have access to something at your school.[/quote]

This will be my first year at a D1 school, and I’ve heard nothing but good things about our gym…large free weight area, lots of rowers, climbing gym, indoor pool…should be awesome.

http://wwwnew.towson.edu/campusrec/info-aboutus-facilities.html