T Nation

Bottom Feeder Squats

Hey,

So a while back I posted about trying to develop my vastus medialus(spelling?) muscle. The teardrop. I got lots of suggestions. On Friday I tried Chad Waterbury’s bottom feeder squats. To the letter. And although he stressed there would be great soreness, I got nothing. Not even a twitch. I don’t usually measure soreness as an indicator of effectiveness, but when it comes to attempts at size it seems to play a role. Especially if its a new exercise. So anyway, does anyone have any idea what I may have done wrong? I paused for a full 5 seconds. I believe the load was correct and I went ass to the grass with feet elevated before the pause. I am starting to think I don’t possess this muscle. I am doing a variety of lunges, step ups as well as squats but never do I get soreness or growth in this area. Its starting to get really annoying. Tips gentlemen?

Go heavier until you start to feel it.
Perhaps you are stronger than you think and the muscles just need more work to make them respond.

Use barbell hack squats with your feet shoulder width apart and your toes turned slightly out 3-4 x 10 period.

Thanks for the tips. I’ll try going heavier. If that doesn’t work I’ll try barbell hack squats(even though I hate doing them) again.

[quote]BradS wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I’ll try going heavier. If that doesn’t work I’ll try barbell hack squats(even though I hate doing them) again.[/quote]

Try em… …with reverse bands, if you have bands. Or if you want to triple loop your bands (of course not, that would void the warranty right!)