Bottled Water Contributing to Cavities

Bottled Water Contributing to Cavities:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/DentalHealth/tb/1756

[quote]retailboy wrote:
Bottled Water Contributing to Cavities:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/DentalHealth/tb/1756[/quote]

That is retarded and isn’t even what the article is truly getting at. Cavities are caused by three factors: carbohydrates, bacteria, and oral hygeine. That’s it. Yes, flouride can help remineralize enamel to a small extent, however, the truth is, if people paid more attentiont to their oral health, there would be less cavities.

Using a flouride toothpaste should take care of this problem along with making regular trips to a dentist. Systemic flouride is only beneficial while teeth are forming. After that, topical flouride is the only thing that produces a benefit.

Bottom line, I hope no one actually thinks that bottled water can cause cavities.

Holy crap! Bottled water caused my cavities, I’m suing those bastards!

Posted that link just wanted to point out how stupid some articles are just to cause a stir:

http://www.nofluoride.com/UPI_bottled_water.htm

"Approximately 62 percent of the US population served by public water supplies has access to adequate levels of fluoride in their water, and 43 of the 50 largest US cities have water fluoridation systems. "
"Excess fluoride can cause defects in the tooth?s enamel that range from barely noticeable white specks or streaks to cosmetically objectionable brown discoloration. These defects are known as fluorosis and occur when the teeth are forming – usually in children under 6 years. Fluorosis, when it occurs, is usually associated with naturally occurring fluoride, such as that found in well water. If you use well water and are uncertain about the mineral (especially fluoride) content, a water sample should be tested. Although tooth staining from fluorosis cannot be removed with normal hygiene, your dentist may be able to lighten or remove these stains with professional-strength abrasives or bleaches. "

I drink bottled water, am I missing out on the benefits of fluoride?
Even though there?s no scientific studies to suggest that people who drink bottled water are at increased risk of tooth decay, the American Dental Association (ADA) says that such people could be missing out on the decay-preventing effects of optimally fluoridated water available from their community water source. The ADA adds that most bottled waters do not contain optimal levels of fluoride, which is 0.7 to 1.2 parts per million (this is the amount that is in public water supplies, in the communities that have fluoridated water). To find out if your brand of bottled water contains any fluoride, check the label on the bottle or contact the bottle water manufacturer.

I read not to long ago that flouride at levels of more that 0.9 ppm is dangerous and can in fact be lethal. Most probably a scare article, but it does make an interesting point.

The article was intended to prevent water sources being flouridated. The ADA adjusted their recomendation to 0.7 ppm.

Now 1.2 ppm is not only acceptable, but required, according to the same ADA.

No wonder nobody trusts government institutions…