T Nation

Boston Lager Glasses

I was at a yard sale last year and this older lady had two cases of 24 brand new Sam Adams Boston Lager glasses. I thought they were cool so I offered her $10 for all 48 and she accepted. Last weekend My buddy came over noticed the glasses and offered me $20 telling me that his dad, brother, and basically his whole family were Boston Lager nuts. He wanted the glasses for B-days, Christmas ect. I said cool whatever doubled my money yadda yadda. Yesterday by coincidence I saw the exact glasses advertised for $30 for four of them. So then my curiosity was peaked and I checked craigslist to see what they were going for. There was an ad selling the same type glasses for $7 each WTF I thought. I emailed the ad from my spam email address and I get a response explaining the glasses had some special laser engraving at the bottom and to call him. The number he gave happens to be MY BUDDIES NUMBER!@!!!. Fucking A!!! the handjob lied to me took my glasses and is going to make $350!!! I saw the Cocksucker looking at the bottom of the glasses but I thought he was checking for dirt or stains, he was checking for that laser engraving!!! unreal dude!!! I feel like stealing his lawnmower or something. maybe hiding a bag of shit in his door panel. I am fucking pissed.

I’d just laugh and tell him you saw his ad.

It’s like a good episode of Seinfeld

Two ways to look at it, your friendship to him was worth 350 bucks, and you can either hold a grudge or drop him as a friend.

But as Dostoyevsky put it “Money must be so far beneath a gentleman that it is hardly worth troubling about.”, and you can just not care about it.

Can you post the link to his Craigslist ad? I’d like to buy one…

Looks like this is a case of one man’s trash is another man’s treasure lol

seriously though, that sucks for you, good for your buddy … you should guilt him into at least taking you out to get a couple cold ones on him so y’all can laugh about it

Wait… you offer an old lady a measly $10 (which she’s happy with), then you double your money selling to your friend for $20 (which you’re happy with), but NOW you’re angry?

Is it the money, or the way he lied to you?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Wait… you offer an old lady a measly $10 (which she’s happy with), then you double your money selling to your friend for $20 (which you’re happy with), but NOW you’re angry?

Is it the money, or the way he lied to you?

[/quote]

probably the way he lied … or at least didn’t tell him the whole truth … maybe he really did give a couple to some his family as gifts and decided to sell the rest?

regardless, I’m with you ID … OP made a 100% profit on his investment … it’s not his friend’s fault that he didn’t research the glasses a little before selling them to his friend (the other side of the coin is his friend was opportunistic and exploited OP’s ignorance to make bank … I like his friend already :slight_smile: )

Even though it’s just $350, it’s not about the money. Your “friend” outright lied to you in order to make $350. What sort of manipulative bullshit would he pull on you if he stood to make thousands of dollars off you?

About ten years ago I was at my friend’s house and he was cleaning a bunch of shit out of his garage. What do I happen to see in a box but the first 20 issues of Ironman and Spiderman #6-25. They were in amazingly good condition considering that they weren’t in plastic sleeves. My friend was going to just toss them out, not knowing that Ironman #1 alone is probably worth several hundred dollars even in the condition that his copy was in. So did I offer to give him $20 for the whole box, turn around and proceed to sell its contents to a comic collector?

No. I did what a real friend would do and told him they were probably worth a significant amount of money and he should place an ad on Craigslist for them. I can’t remember what he made off of them, but it was well over a thousand dollars. Not once did I think to myself, “Gee, how can I get my hands on these without him getting suspicious and then make a bunch of money?” But that’s exactly what your “friend” did. So to those who say forget about it, don’t ruin a friendship over $350: fuck off and die. You guys are idiots for suggesting he remain friends with this manipulative asshole.

we hashed things out. somebody offered him x amount of dollars for all of them. He said he didnt know their value until after he bought them…BS but whatever. We are cool again but I will eventually get him back. I guess what pissed me off is he got one over on me and made a chump out of me. but its cool now. until…revenge is a dish best served cold.

[quote]ivory555 wrote:
we hashed things out. somebody offered him x amount of dollars for all of them. He said he didnt know their value until after he bought them…BS but whatever. We are cool again but I will eventually get him back. I guess what pissed me off is he got one over on me and made a chump out of me. but its cool now. until…revenge is a dish best served cold. [/quote]

Like a salad?

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:

[quote]ivory555 wrote:
we hashed things out. somebody offered him x amount of dollars for all of them. He said he didnt know their value until after he bought them…BS but whatever. We are cool again but I will eventually get him back. I guess what pissed me off is he got one over on me and made a chump out of me. but its cool now. until…revenge is a dish best served cold. [/quote]

Like a salad?[/quote]

you don’t make friends with salad.

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:

[quote]ivory555 wrote:

Like a salad?[/quote]

you don’t make friends with salad.[/quote]

but can you make a salad with friends?

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:

[quote]ivory555 wrote:

Like a salad?[/quote]

but can you make a salad with friends?[/quote]

You can make a salad out of friends.

[quote]ivory555 wrote:

I’m with DBCooper, there is know telling what else your friend would do to you if it served his purpose. Money isn’t the issue it’s honesty, which your friend seems to lack. It’s an even bigger issue that you two have “hashed things out” and are “cool again” yet you still plan to get even. Friends don’t do this each other.

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]ivory555 wrote:

I’m with DBCooper, there is know telling what else your friend would do to you if it served his purpose. Money isn’t the issue it’s honesty, which your friend seems to lack. It’s an even bigger issue that you two have “hashed things out” and are “cool again” yet you still plan to get even. Friends don’t do this each other.[/quote]

That’s cuz they’re frienemies

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:

[quote]ivory555 wrote:

Like a salad?[/quote]

Even if you toss it?

Yeah, that’s underhanded, fuck him.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:

[quote]ivory555 wrote:

Like a salad?[/quote]

Even if you toss it?
[/quote]

One of my favorite lines from a movie is in Fight Club when Ed Norton says to the cops, "First one through this door gets a… a LEAD SALAD!

lol

Vegetarians make salad out of their friends.

Man, stop bitching. If you wanna lose the friendship with him over that, so be it. If you remain friends, be a little wary whenever money/property is on the line between you and him.